Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Just lack finishing up
4,053 Posts
WTF is a sillcock? Please talk English. A hose bib? My cock is good.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
WTF is a sillcock? Please talk English. A hose bib? My cock is good.
They are the same. So moms was blown out by frost action. She had a plumber over. 300 some dollars for a chintzy Lowe’s 5 dollar valve. Mine is out too. More water comes out the stem than the hose. For 300 bucks, I will cut the pipe in the basement, install a gd Chinese Home Depot valve with a drain and hope my sill cock has a rope packing under the gland nut. Now if I have to hone the seat like they showed on this old house I will be unhappy but if the women don’t find you handsome...

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Also the cheap **** they sell at the depot and Lowe’s isn’t the same as the expensive one at the plumbing or hardware store. I went through a bunch of big box returns on a utility tub faucet. Old retired plumber Steve in the plumbing department at my local depot pulled 3 new ones off the shelf and all the same defective threads on the fixture. Bought one at the local store for 3x the money, same look, same box, went right together. Old Steve pulled them all and said we aren’t selling this junk at my store. Who knows if he won or just retired. The Chinese don’t give a ****.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Not sure what cheap plastic garbage you all are referring to because I only use Woodford frost proof sillcocks. Good American made brass & copper, they are highly durable and trouble free. Installed correctly these are just about bomb proof. Make sure to disconnect your hose before first freeze.

Maybe the Borg (Homers) sells cheaper Chinese plastic imitations? If you are buying those, then you are getting exactly what you paid for. But I know that they sell Woodford’s as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Native Mainiac
23,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not sure what cheap plastic garbage you all are referring to because I only use Woodford frost proof sillcocks. Good American made brass & copper, they are highly durable and trouble free. Installed correctly these are just about bomb proof. Make sure to disconnect your hose before first freeze.

Maybe the Borg (Homers) sells cheaper Chinese plastic imitations? If you are buying those, then you are getting exactly what you paid for. But I know that they sell Woodford’s as well.

Yup...If I was going to replace mine, those Woodford units look like the bomb.
As I've said, mine is close to 40 years old and came with the house. Had a plastic handle that eventually cracked, and has a plastic packing gland (not really packing, but o-ring/cone washer deal). I always get nervous tightening it to squeeze the cone washer...you know the deal with plastic threads.....

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I used to do apartment maintenance for a while. Replaced a lot of cheap faucets and was always under pressure from the property managers to buy cheap stuff. After going back and replacing some faucets repeatedly and listening to him squak about those repeat repairs, I put my foot down and insisted on only buying better American made Delta faucets going forward. Explained that the savings from not having to keep doing the same things repeatedly would save him money. And the books proved me right.

Later on I worked for a plumbing company for a while. That was where I learned about Woodford sillcocks.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
About ten years ago I had to pull things apart and replace the valve set washer, "O"-Ring on the packing bushing and cone washer on the stem. Also the plastic handle was broken and just kind of spun around on the stem.

Last week when I fired up the garden hose there was small streams of water spraying out both along the the stem and outside diameter of the thing....nothing serious, but not right.

Took it apart, and cleaned things up. Lucky to find the right (or close enough) parts in my bag of plumbing washers and stuff. The female threaded stem was stripped, so now have an 11/32" 1/4" drive socket on the stem for a handle....will dig around for a cheap T-handle to use.

Know I should have bought a whole new unit years ago....but doubt it I could find one with all metal parts, and packing around the stem instead of crappy O-rings. Even the packing gland is is fine threaded plastic instead of brass.

The thing is only like 38 years old and I've had to repair it twice already....

Any plumbing handymen (or wimmens) out there that wish they built valves like they used to?

Guts out....
View attachment 930769

Back together with socket on stem....
View attachment 930770
Did you know your sillcock is cockeyed?

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I hate caulking...always messy. You shoot too much out and it’s just all over the place. You use some water to lube it up and try the finger method and then you need a lot of paper towels to clean up the excess. I never seem to have the right color.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
How is it hanging? Is it functioning OK still, now that you fixed it? Nothing has fallen off, hopefully.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts