Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
23,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About ten years ago I had to pull things apart and replace the valve set washer, "O"-Ring on the packing bushing and cone washer on the stem. Also the plastic handle was broken and just kind of spun around on the stem.

Last week when I fired up the garden hose there was small streams of water spraying out both along the the stem and outside diameter of the thing....nothing serious, but not right.

Took it apart, and cleaned things up. Lucky to find the right (or close enough) parts in my bag of plumbing washers and stuff. The female threaded stem was stripped, so now have an 11/32" 1/4" drive socket on the stem for a handle....will dig around for a cheap T-handle to use.

Know I should have bought a whole new unit years ago....but doubt it I could find one with all metal parts, and packing around the stem instead of crappy O-rings. Even the packing gland is is fine threaded plastic instead of brass.

The thing is only like 38 years old and I've had to repair it twice already....

Any plumbing handymen (or wimmens) out there that wish they built valves like they used to?

Guts out....

Back together with socket on stem....

·
Mentally Frozen
27,730 Posts
There's a lot of events in your life buddy. Have you talked to a clergyman lately?

:p:censored::alien::giggle:

·
Mentally Frozen
27,730 Posts
Reactions: FullClip

·
Horselover Fat
34,490 Posts

·
Mentally Frozen
27,730 Posts

·
18,580 Posts
I'd want to figure a way to extend the water supply stub-out from the wall and attach a ball valve to it that was threaded on both ends and screw on a pipe-thread-to-hose-thread adapter on the outlet end. Then you'd have to insulate it for the winter.

Ball valves are the way to go.

·
real dogs
2,379 Posts
Ive given up on those. d*** things. I just put a frost proof hydrant out where its convenient to reach and that gets me away from the hole in the wall and the having to drag my knuckles against the siding not to mention fighting with a holly bush. Those things are just evil.. Cost more but sure are easier to use.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Good for you! I call it "going a round with the champ".

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
We have those sillcock valves on our house. They’re great compared to the crap we had back home in Texas. These don’t freeze and split in the winter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts