Featured Fixed my Left Shooting Problem

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Cali.Glock, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Cali.Glock

Cali.Glock

Late in 2017, I purchased my 6th Glock - a Glock 34.

It is my first full-size Glock. I was eager to shoot it. I was quickly disappointed. I could not hit the broad side of the barn with it. Why???

I had the classic symptom of "Left Shooting Glock" - I was too ashamed to post about it. For sure, this is a problem of the shooter. But I know something is wrong, as none of my Glocks, nor any of my guns shoot this badly. What is this, a bent barrel or something???

At first I tried to fix the problem by drifting my rear sights to the right. While this did help a bit, it was ridiculous that my sights are drifted all the way to the right, and the pistol still shot somewhat left.

This is what my target looked like last week, from the Bench, and with sights drifted to the right !!! :

[​IMG]

Without the sights drifted, my pistol could not even make it into the orange.

I may be a bad shot, but I'm not this bad.

Why did I not send this back to Glock? Because not only am I a bad shot, but I am also hard headed.

After much frustration, I did more research and learned that an out of spec Locking Block may be the problem. While the OEM Locking Block for $25 was an option, I elected to spend an extra $10 more for the Lone Wolf Locking Block, which is machined to absolutely the correct specs. This way I minimize any risk of having an "out of spec" Locking Block again.

This is the LWD Locking Block Part# 1447, $34.95 shipped:

[​IMG]

Machined, nice and shiny. It arrived in a few days.

As described on their website:

Glock OEM parts are MIM, some problems with MIM include:
    • Is oversized by 20.6%, then sintered down in a mold to final size, this creates many deviations while molding
    • MIM is bound by a glue. It is heated, the glue melts and then sticks together with the metal particles
    Lone Wolf's Benefits:
    • 17-4 stainless steel billet certified materials, certs are held on file and can be traced back in the future
    • Same as aerospace, very good for high stress situations
    • Manufactured in a ISO 9001 facility
    • Highly controlled tolerances, radiuses in critical areas
    • Maximum amount of bearing surfaces since draft angles (required with MIM) are eliminated
    • No surface treatment required
    • 44C rockwell hardness (+/- 2) for durability
    • Greater potential for increasing shot to shot accuracy
    ------------------------

So ... that doesn't look too bad for $10 more bucks over OEM.

Why not. I might learn something.... ah, I'm also desperate.

I installed it, re-centered my Sights and went straight to the range. Although I did not have time to do bench tests, I just shot right at the target. I will know if the problem is fixed or not.

Here is what my Target looks like, off hand.

5-round intervals. Fast tempo. 4-rds to center mass, last one to head... 10 reps (50 rounds):

[​IMG]

That is good enough for guv'mint work, I think.

I am very pleased with the LWD Locking Block. I'm not just pleased, I'm so happy, I have tears in my eyes... I love this G34.

It does appear that indeed I had a defective OEM Locking Block in my G34. But I am happy now, I have the solution and want to share these results in GT.

If you have a left shooting problem (or right, high, or low), I don't know if this will fix your problem (odds are, no), but for sure sometimes, it's not the shooter, it's the gun.... I have 5 problem-free Glocks other than this pistol, so it shouldn't be surprising sooner or later I will have one with an issue. However, I'm really glad is was easily and inexpensively resolved.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  2. Christian Wolff

Christian Wolff

3. wlkjr

wlkjr

I would suggest doing a blind test and letting someone swap the parts unbeknownst to you and see if the results are the same. But if you are already happy with the results, just go with it.

Gloctapus, Navy1964, WilliamA and 3 others like this.
  4. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Very interesting...

Had the shooting left issue with my first 2 Glocks, and these were corrected by grip and stance.

Now have 11 Glocks that shoot Point of Aim... Gen 2 to Gen 3.

So I'm curious - 2017 purchase - What generation is your G34?

WilliamA and refugeepj like this.
  5. 1canvas

1canvas

Very interesting. I think I may buy one and swap it out of each Glock I own to see if there is any difference, if there is I will buy another.
    Most of the shooting left is a trigger control thing. It’s the Glock trigger that can be a booger to get down, but I like the idea of a more precise machined block

6. Cali.Glock

Cali.Glock

Yes 2017 purchase, it is a Gen3 (California special)

Pierre! likes this.
  7. DrewBone

DrewBone

But but but using anything but 100% OEM Glock parts in your Glock pistol automatically renders it a range toy totally unfit for any serious self defense role. I read it right here on GlockTalk so it has to be true.

All that aforementioned baloney aside, you shouldn't hesitate to use your Glock for self defense if you saw fit to do so, even though some might consider it a bit large to carry concealed, but some successfully do; to each their own.

This is probably the part that gets replaced when "off center" shooting Glocks are returned to Smyrna, with Glock apparently too embarassed to ever inform their unhappy customer(s) what exactly they did to correct their issue, lest their "Glock Perfection" motto appear to be less than accurate.

I'm impressed with your decision that lead you to replace the OEM Glock Locking Block with an aftermarket solution, and more than happy for you to have successfully remedied your left pattern shooting problem in the process! I'll keep your findings in my memory banks should I ever have this issue, thanks for posting. Also, nice shooting :D

Even though Glocks aren't on the top of my list, I do own a Gen3 G35 and a Gen4 G41, with the Gen(?) G34 on my "get" list, as my next Practical Tactical.
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy your G34!

Morepls, hardpan, WilliamA and 6 others like this.
  8. frbejarano

frbejarano

Interesting... I've got a few glocks. Some shoot left some don't.

9. harold63

harold63

He shot it off a rest with the effed up part and it was still hitting left with a tapped out sight drift. He's past swapping, grip technique, letting someone else try, cows coming home, changing stars.

jonb32248, Morepls, itsfun and 14 others like this.
  10. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

In this case I would not care if it was the locking block or my mind that improved the problem as long as it fixed it. I always shoot a new gun better because I concentrate more.

Cali.Glock, WilliamA, Deputy and 7 others like this.
  11. harold63

harold63

I feel your pain. I have a couple Glocks I DIDN'T have to mess with to get POA/POI and the X to match.

12. harold63

harold63

Critically thinking, here, it's best to know what the problem was. Why work on grip technique if the sights are off or part in gun makes you adjust the sights to an unreasonable position?

I have a lot of drift and elevation with two of my three G34's. May be time to try a LW locking block in mine.

13. Vodoun da Vinci

Vodoun da Vinci

Well done. I was victimised as well with a low left shooting Beretta and was told repeatedly that it was the shooter and not the gun. But in the end?

It was the gun. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

VooDoo

14. littletank

littletank

Good information OP!!!

Tier1Mike, Navy1964, Dcc65 and 2 others like this.
  15. bambam33

bambam33

I have never heard of, or would have thought of, an out of spec locking block. I learned something new today. Thanks for taking the time to post the solution to your problem.

HCSO29, Tier1Mike, Morepls and 24 others like this.
  16. ken grant

ken grant

Maybe that is why it is shooting Left :flag:

17. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

This is THE post of the month!:aodnsb:

1L26, Tier1Mike, JBnTX and 22 others like this.
  18. 1canvas

1canvas

That's hilarious.

WilliamA likes this.
  19. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

I fixed my left shooting glocks by selling them. I shot so far to the left that even at 7 yards I missed the paper entirely the first few shots.

Not blaming the glock really, more like an issue I have with striker fired pistols. I was only marginally better with my shield, and with a fair amount of practice I am confident enough to use it for carry.

I am way more accurate with my 357 snub nose, kimber 45 1911, or my 10mm 1911. Right out of the box and with no practice.

Kevin Smith, VicarofGlock and Brass3 like this.
  20. tbc

tbc

Interesting. I may get a lone wolf LB to see if it fixes my G34 that is shooting left.

[​IMG]

ep1208, KB2QQM, Spilant and 3 others like this.