close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fixed my Glock 17 gen 3 brass to the face issue

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by trackstar55, Jul 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. trackstar55

trackstar55

I have a newely made Glock 17 serial number "SSL" all Austrian pistol that came brand new in the box.

Right out the box, it spewed brass everywhere (Left of the gun, dribbling out of the right side of the gun onto my right hand, and especially back towards me in my face and right shoulder). My Glock 17 really really liked kicking brass back to my face almost every shot. Nothing was consistant...matter of fact the only thing consistant was that it was never consistent.

Now to all you nay sayers who say, "Stop limpwristing"-That pisses me off to no end on this forum.....I am a LEO of ten years, an expert rated shot every year on rifle and pistol. I DONT limp wrist. I also used tons of different types of ammo. I had several different officers and civilian friends of mine shoot it and they all experienced the same issues. I even tried the new ejector Glock sent me that they used in the Gen4 guns. Still no fix.

SOLUTION........

I heard that Glock issued a bulletin and advised it was phasing in a new style non dipped extractor. I ordered one and instantly installed it and shot it.

RESULTS........

Instantly fixed the problem. Brass in a nice little pile at the 4 o'clock position four to five feet away. Not one single piece of brass to the face. This was with the 336 ejector when firing with the newer non dipped ejector.

SO..........

It seems Glock has or had a quality control problem and fixed their "out of spec" extractor with a new one.

There you have it. It just sucks that I had to pay $20 for a new part that I shouldn't have had to pay for, but at least I got to shoot a lot.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. G23Gen4TX

G23Gen4TX

Can you post detailed pictures of new vs. old extractor?

3. Glock40man

Glock40man

4. dave109

dave109

Many thanks for all of your hard work and service.

Where did you order the part, and how do you ask for a non-dipped extractor?

I'm growing tired of waiting for apex to come out with theirs.

5. PAGunner

PAGunner

Thank you sir, the more I hear about the new non dipped extractor fixing things, the more likely I am to come back home to Glock for my next purchase. Glad to hear your BTF problem is gone!

6. diamondd2

diamondd2

Where can I find this bulletin?

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Good to hear your Glock is functioning better now.

8. bill1725

bill1725

This is really good news. Thanks for the report.

9. DocWills

DocWills

You did good. I did my own test early on trying as shipped Glocks vs swapped extractors. I started with gen 3s and am on a 4 now. I learned only two things.

1. Most issues are ammo related
    2. you can move the ejection pattern with different extractors.

I went with steel lone wolf stuff cause I learned with 1911s the mim stuff is hard to tune with.

Glock found the original extractor was "sticky":rofl:

10. diamondd2

diamondd2

Where can I find this bulletin?

11. trackstar55

trackstar55

I haven't personally seen the bulletin, but my Lt. has an FFL/gun business on the side and he has the personality of "knowing everyone." He goes to shot show, NRA conventions and such with reps. He told me about it the other day when I was complaining about my Glock to one of our master firearm instructor's by the copier and the solutions I tried to fix it. I wish I could remember exactly what he said.

As for the place where I ordered the part....glockparts.com. You have to call instead of placing an order online and specifically request for the non dipped from Dave. Tell him Chris, the Deputy from Illinois told me to call.

Dave said that Glock just started sending the new non dipped extractor quietly and is phasing it in. Sometimes Dave said he gets a mixed batch of dipped and non dipped. He accidently sent me a dipped one and then made it right by swapping it out with free shipping.

Seriously, tell him I sent ya. He has been very good to me

12. trackstar55

trackstar55

I cant because I threw the old one away...now I wish I didn't to help answer your question.

I did compare the two. I saw no difference visually with the claw. When I compared the two. There is a ever so slight dip it seems, but not like the "older" one. It really made a difference. I guess I had a horrible one that is out of spec because I have severl 2009 and older 9mm's with the dipped extractor with the 336 ejector and they work perfect.

I will try to post a pic of the new extractor later

13. trackstar55

trackstar55

Same here. I am feeling better about Glock in some aspects....at least they fixed it. Not happy I had to pay $20 of my own money to do so, for a problem that was theirs, not my limpwristing :supergrin:

14. GTS197

GTS197

15. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

That is good to hear. I just ordered what is supposedly a new non-dipped one from Midway. This will go in my problem G17 that was back to Glock once but still does a little of the 9mm brass facial. :rofl: Hopefully I get the same result as you and that will be that.

16. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

This is great news for you and a lot of Glock owners. Kudos to Glock for finding a fix for the issue. I guess Apex was a little late with thier fix.

17. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Oh and if a bulletin is out there and can be posted and if in fact this fixes those with an example pistol that has chronic erratic ejection I expect all the doubters and ammo/limp wrist antagonists (glock marketing reps with secret accounts) to eat a 20 lbs bag of pit bull you know what. That's 20 lbs each. Lolz.

Just kidding. Maybe...:whistling::tongueout:

Nah, I still love you Glock.

18. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

What I know of Apex I think when it is released it will be the better quality of the two,as it is supposed to be made of tool steel and my bet is Glocks new extractor is still MiMed. SJ 40

19. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

Im sure the Apex kit will be excellent but, if the factory Glock part works, why change ? I fought MIM parts for years until I took a newish S&W revolver apart and saw how smooth nd well fitted every part of the MIM action was. Super smooth trigger without any of the stoning and polishing of the old forged parts. They seem very resistant to wear and take much less lubricant too although, I have seen a couple of MIM parts break as if they were too brittle. Bottom line is that I dont care what they make the new extractor out of as long as it works and holds up well.

20. ElrodCod

ElrodCod

Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Limp wristing isn't the cause of erratic ejection. It's your stance.:supergrin: