close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Five months for DA to clear CCWer in good shoot in MA!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by MASIG, Mar 31, 2010.

1. MASIG

MASIG

Seems unbelievable that it took five months given what appears to be very clear situation:

DA won't charge man who killed rampaging patient at MGH
    March 31, 2010 04:29 PM

Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley's said today he would not bring criminal charges against the off-duty security guard who fatally shot a patient inside a Boston medical office in October after the patient attacked a doctor.

"Paul Langone acted in self-defense and the defense of Dr. Astrid Desrosiers when he fired on Jay Carciero,” Conley said in a statement this afternoon. “But for Mr. Langone’s actions that day, she would undoubtedly have died and others – including Mr. Langone himself – could have been seriously injured or killed as well.” Conley said there is still no good explanation for Carciero's sudden explosion of violence inside the Massachusetts General Hospital office building.

Carciero, Conley said, did not speak before he started stabbing and slashing Desrosiers with a knife. He described the weapon as a Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops folding knife with a 4-inch blade.

“By every account we reviewed, Mr. Carciero’s actions that day were entirely out of character,” Conley said. “He was known in his community as a devoted father and a loving husband. There was nothing in his background to suggest that this event was coming. We recognize his family’s terrible loss and the tragedy it represented for those who knew and loved him.”

Conley described the fatal confrontation between the two men as it unfolded inside a medical office building on Staniford Street on Oct. 27.

Desrosiers agreed to see Carciero in her office at 2 p.m., instead of his scheduled time of 4 p.m. Without speaking, Carciero began stabbing and slashing at the doctor. Two other doctors heard her screams but were chased away by a bloody and enraged Carciero, Conley said. He slashed one of the doctors, Conley said.

After the two doctors fled, Carcione resumed his attack on Desrosiers, who was lying on the floor, bleeding heavily from multiple wounds. Langone reacted to the screams, opened the door to Desrosiers' office and saw Carciero on top of the woman, still stabbing her.

Langone entered and pulled his Glock 27 handgun and ordered Carciero to step away from Desrosiers. “Put down the knife, I’m going to shoot,'' Langone said, according to Conley.

Carciero responded by lunging at Langone with the knife. Langone fired once, but Carciero continued to advance toward him. Langone fired twice more, striking Carciero in the head and abdomen, fatally wounding Carciero.

Conley said in the statement that Langone, while a special police officer, was using his legally licensed personal firearm at the time.

“He was an ordinary person thrust into extraordinary circumstances. He saved Dr. Desrosiers’ life and possibly others, including his own,'' Conley said. "There are no legal grounds for criminal charges in this incident, and we consider the case closed.”

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/03/by_john_r_ellem_25.html

2. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

I don't know if 5 months is really that long, considering that it's MA.

3. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

So your issue is the amount of time it took for him to get cleared? That's nothing. 5 months is practically the next day. He didn't even have a medium length wait. Around here even if the DA told someone the next day they weren't going to pursue it, it would be longer than 5 months to get the case to grand jury. A former co-worked of mine had about as cut and dry shooting as possible on New Years night 2007/2008 and just recently got his firearm back and cleared completely criminally.

I know it's frustrating that it can even take 5 months, but the reality is that isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things.

4. Ersatz

Ersatz

This.

I've seen "cut and dry" misd's take longer. It boils down to a lot of factors.

5. blueiron

blueiron

Don't bother to ingratiate yourself.

6. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

5 month is really quick compared to cut and dry justified LE shootings that take much longer to clear.

7. CAcop

CAcop

Yeah, not much sympathy here. We had a guy take a bullet in the chest from a verified gang member who was high on junk and it took at least 6 months to clear them.

DAs like to make sure things go to page 6 below the story on elections in Zimbawe.

8. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

So he was carrying on a Class A LTC, not as a special police officer?

9. MASIG

MASIG

That's correct from the accounts I read earlier.

Also, he was not "on duty" at his security guard job and, in any event, it is my understanding that he was not a guard for MGH (Mass Gen Hospital) where this incident took place. I don't think MGH uses armed guards, as I do not recall seeing armed guards at MGH when I've been there, but I could be wrong. At the time this occurred, people were questioning why he was at an MGH mental health facility -- I never saw the answers to that one.

Finally, I also recall reading that in his past he did aspire to become an LEO but was "turned down" for some reason whatever that means.

10. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

MASIG, why do you feel the need to post this here? Shouldn't you post this in CI, or something? Since none of us are Suffolk County DA's, I fail to see your gripe with us on the issue.

11. blueiron

blueiron

He thinks we somehow care.

12. MASIG

MASIG

No gripes here.

However, I would think that you might find this case somewhat interesting and may even care to comment on it given your own experiences (third hand or otherwise) regarding the amount of time to be cleared criminally in a good shoot situation as seemingly clear cut as this one.

No hidden agendas, I assure you.

13. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

I'm not assured.
    Perhaps Carry Issues or www .ohmygoodnessyou'rerudewhileblowingoffsteamontheinternetonyourofftimethereforeyoushouldn'tbeacop. org might be better.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  14. RussP

Where did you read that he was turned down? When did you read that? The Suffolk DA states he is a special police officer.

And the "was "turned down" for some reason whatever that means" comment, nice try at slamming the guy... :upeyes:

15. RussP

No, not Carry Issues... :impatient:

16. RussP

Yes, they are definately not hidden.

17. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Now come on, go easy on the little guy. At least he didn't try to say if the doc was OC'ing, this whole thing would've been avoided...even tho it would have. :supergrin:

18. MASIG

MASIG

Are you nuts? Slamming the guy? The guy was a Godsend. I was wondering why it took so long to clear him given the reported facts of the case -- I thought that was clear from my post.

Also, he was not a bona fide police officer -- he was a security guard employed by a security service. As such, he had only limited police-type powers while working as an armed security guard at the properties he was hired to protect. This special police officer business relates to security guards working in Boston.

And in any event, he was not working at the time of this incident nor was he hired as a security guard at MGH. He was running errands on his day off, just happened to be a MGH and was carrying a personal weapon (as you mentioned earlier) just like any joe blow CCWer.

Now, I do recall reading that he wanted to be an LEO (and that he still does) but that he was not able to pursue this course of action (I believe the article said he was "turned down" but I'm not sure of the exact wording as I read it a number of months ago). The article was not clear as to what precluded him from doing so. I'll see if I can find something on this.

Finally, I suppose that in that other thread I might have been a little thin skinned but you know I think that I was not the only one. Time for everyone to chill a little, no?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  19. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Russ: Uh...sorry. I won't direct anymore riffraff to CI.

Chill? No.

20. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member