Fitting a glock rear sight (help)

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by aliasneo07, Feb 14, 2013.

1. aliasneo07

aliasneo07

Hey guys,

I have a MGW rear sight pusher so marring the sight up is not an issue. My question is that I was told the rear sight needs to go in at least 1/3 of the way if not 1/2 of the way with little resistance and then be pushed in the rest of the way. My Ameriglo Operator rear sight is going in maybe 1/5, MAYBE 1/4.

The last one I had I tried sanding and ended up just screwing up the sight. So I bought another rear. Live and learn. Now I'm asking how to do it properly.

1. WHERE does the sight need to be filed? I've read some people say rub it on some sandpaper on the bottom. But others have said file on the back of the sight. Where exactly should the sight be filed in order to fit?

2. How likely am I to damage the dovetail by pushing in a tight sight? If 5 years down the road I learn that I ruined the rear sight...fine. But I don't want to ruin the gun by ruining the dovetail.

Any general advice would be appreciated. I have done a search, watched videos, etc, and am still lost. Seems like some people say "don't worry, just press the sight in with your sight pusher" others say "Sand the bottom with a file or sandpaper until it fits in 1/3 or 1/2 the way then push it in" and yet others say "take a file and file the back area of the sight until it fits in 1/3 or 1/2 the way." I'm just confused.

Again, I CAN get the sight in with the sight pusher and some elbow grease. But I'd like to do it properly and not risk damaging the dovetail.

Thanks in advance!

2. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maCQhEIjoA"]Installing Glock Sights with Dave Dawson - YouTube[/ame]

3. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Bought a set of Ameriglo iDot Pro's. Ruined the rear sight trying to fit it according to the UTube video. Although I now have a miniature paper weight with built in night light!

Ordered a new rear sight from Ameriglo, they said their sights don't need to be altered to fit. They also treated me very well on the order. Wish they'd put that kind of info in their packaging.

Installed the new rear sight using only a sight pusher and a drop of oil. Didn't like the feel of it at all, but it worked. YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. aliasneo07

aliasneo07

Thanks. I did see that but it still left me with the question of:

1. Why does everyone talk about filing the BOTTOMM
    2. Would the procedure have been different if he had been using a sight pusher as I am?
    3. How far in should it fit with no pressure before forcing it?

Thanks

1. How did you ruin your first sight?
    2. What do you mean you didnt like the feel of it?

Thanks guys. Im just really paranoid about ruining my dovetail.

5. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry

Dude, It's not a big deal, dont get nervous. I did my first one beating the **** out of it with a drift punch and I finally got a MGW Glock Sight Pusher and now it's sooo easy.
    Take your rear sight and take a SMALL triangle file or if you have a gunsmith file (I've done it with both) and just file a tiny bit at a time at the same angle as the dovetail dont touch the bottom of the sight just the the angled end until it fits in a little less than halfway. I like mine to go on and stop about 40% of the way then I'm done filing. Take brake cleaner and spray everything down to degrease it and your ready to push it on. Before you push it on take masking tape and tape the side of your sight so you dont mar it up with the pusher then your ready to push it on. It will feel like your forcing it on but your not, if you got it to go on 40% with no force that will be perfect.

6. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry

On rear adjustable sights i put red loctite in the dovetail because once i line it up (which takes 10 minutes) i'm not moving it and i dont want it to walk.

7. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

Honestly I've done it dozens of times. I put a touch of lube on the bottom the the sight and push it in, even if there is a good bit of resistance. I use the MGW sight tool as well.