close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing in Alaska... Bear defense?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 4TS&W, Feb 24, 2006.

1. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

My coworker is making the trip to Anchorage, then venturing out on two fishing trips (returning in between to Anchorage).

He doesn't want to spend a lot on a firearm, but there will not be a guide around to make sure the bears stay away.

Is there some inexpensive way to make sure the bears stay the hell away without breaking the bank. He wants to fish, not hunt bear.

Maybe an outfitter that rents large caliber revolvers to fisherman?

:) ;c

2. forthehalibut

forthehalibut

Do his fishing in a boat far from land, then.;)

Have him get something in a large caliber--a 12ga with slugs would do it, too--can quickly get it into play if handging off his shoulder behind him while he fishes.

3. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Bear spray is very effective and relativley cheap. Either that or go with a guy named "Treadwell" the bears will certainley go after him first!!;g

4. micah

micah loves you all.

In a panic situation, I'd take bear spray over any handgun.

5. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

You can buy a can of bear spray in Anchorage for less than $40, which is certainly cheaper than any suitable firearm would cost, and you don't have to monkey around with firearms at the airport.

Depending on where he's planning on fishing, there are areas I wouldn't bother carrying anything. Remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, just the guy next to you! ;f

6. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

This is exactly why I never go to Alaska and never go fishing...

It is just too-damned dangeous.

~rf

7. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

I'll let him know to get 2 things..

1)Bear spray

2)Slow fishing partners..

:cool:

8. ClearDark

ClearDark

A rifle that shoots .416 Rigby.

9. SecurityTrainer

SecurityTrainer

I used to get this question A LOT. Simple solution:

"BEAR SWATTER" (12 ga. shotgun 18+")

They are relatively inexpensive (Pump) and can be carried in as checked baggage (Check Airline restriuctions ECT...)

That or a Ruger MkII .22 cal pistol, wear good comfortable shoes, and NEVER FISH/HUNT alone!

(That way you can shoot your partner in the knee and out run him-JUST KIDDING!-LOL)

"Bear Spray"

Joke:

A fellow is checking with his Fishing Guide in Alaska and asks what do I need to do to protect myself from BEARS?

The Guide replies:

"Simple, Just remember there are two (2) kinds of Bears in Alaska...Black and Brown(Kodiak)."

For black bears usuasly they will leave you alone if you make noise and you are carefull. The best way to deal with the Brown (Kodiak)is to use "BEAR SPRAY", and to tie some small bells on to your shoe laces, this will warn the bears ahead of time.

The Fisherman asks :

How do I look for "SIGNS" a bear is close?

That is easy replies the Guide.

"Look for the Bear 'Scatt'(Read: POO)

"Black Bear 'Scatt' is usuly very dark, and will have clumps of berries in it.

The Fisherman interupts and quickly asks:

"...and Brown (Kodiak) bears, how do I know what that 'Scatt' looks like?"

Easy Replies the Guide:

" It smells like "BEAR SPRAY" and has little tiny bells in it!

Good Luck to your Friend, and good fishing!

NOTE: Nothing in this post should be considered anything but anicdotal info!

Respectfully,

10. CCF

CCF

What's in bear spray? How close do you have to be to deliver an effective dose?

11. fireman jb

fireman jb

Bear spray is a big canister of pepper spray or the equal to. Effective range 3-5 yards. I like the idea of a Glock better then 3-5 yards. But to each is his own!

12. CCF

CCF

Yeah, that's pretty close, LOL. I thought it might be some kind of pepper spray, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

13. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Or a Marlin Guide Gun on your back in 45-70 gov!

14. wade farley

wade farley Sonic 357 sig

:cool: I have a Guide Gun and agree! I also just got a Ruger Alaskan in 454Casull it's lighter to carry, and for defence only! Have fun and stay safe! Almost forgot,You might want Bear Spray for back up!!:laughabove:

15. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

A short barrel 12ga, Brenneke slugs and situational awareness.

16. Mr. Ajax

Mr. Ajax

[​IMG]
    Smith and wesson 500 magnum 4"

I've shot the 8" barrel one and I've got to tell ya, if I had a brown bear charging me and I couldnt have a long arm, that's what I'd want.

17. stuhrw

stuhrw

I'm looking for a good place to purchase a Glock 20 in Anchorage. I also am looking to use it as a quick backup for my 12 guage while fishing. Had a bear incident last summer and the shotgun just took too long to whip out. Luckily, didn't have to fire it!

Anyway, I was told that a 10mm automatic is the about the best alternative, besides buying a 44 magnum revolver. Glock 20 seems to fit the bill, but having a tough time finding one for less than $550.

I am military, so not sure if Glock still offers the $100 discount. Any Anchorage folks want to help point me in the right direction? My alternative choice is EAA's 10mm Witness. That's more what I'm looking for as far as price is concerned.

18. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

stuhrw, go to Great Guns on Old Seward and 76th. They offer LE and military pricing on Glocks. The last time I checked, the special price on a standard, fixed-sight G20 was $480.

19. stuhrw

stuhrw

Thanks, Dan. I'll definitely check out Great Guns. I appreciate the tip and will let you know how the deal works out.

20. Wet Dog

Wet Dog

The beauty of Alaska and the fishing is beyond compare and worth the "risk" IMHO. I'll bet the drive to your fishing hole is more dangerous than fishing Alaska.

I lived, worked and fished in Alaska 1978-1984. I had several bear encounters, especially in Nak Nek / King Salmon area, and they never once paid any attention to me. We were both there for the fish. I gave them a wide berth and retreated whenever they were coming my way.

I wasn't aware of bear spray back then and was seldom armed. Being within conversational distance of a wild brown bear is a thrill. They had my 100% attention and never before or since have I ever been more aware of my place on the food chain.

Someday I'll go back and fish again. I hope to see the bears again. This time I'll have some bear spray though. A 45/70 or 12ga would be nice to have at camp too. I doubt I'll have much use for either but I will get a few shots in with my camera.