close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishin story

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by okie, Sep 12, 2003.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

Went fishin yesterday and hooked the big one. Wouldn't you know
    it the thing broke my line^4 ;U ;t My pole damn near doubled over.
    Couldn't see it yet to know what it was but it damn sure had to be huge. Mabye I will git him next time.;g

2. noway

noway

Happens to all of us at one time. One thing that would help is to make sure you set you're drag and always cut the last 3-7yrds of line off every time you go fishing. The last few yrds of the line is prone to damage from be dragged over rocks,piers,and other nasty stuff. Over along time it will cause fatigue.

3. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

;Q Goodyear radial;Q

;f just kiddin' okie!

4. okie

okie GT Mayor

I never thought about that. Makes damn good scents though. Consider
    it done:)

5. cannoncocker

cannoncocker unknown race

what kind of fish do you think it was?

6. okie

okie GT Mayor

It was either a bass or a putty tat fish;f

7. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_ 1911 Fanatic

Do what I do, I put about 20lb test since the lake I go to has so many rocks ...etc to get your line hung up on. I keep my drag a little on the loose end so if something hits I let the rod slow it down as much as possible. let your rod do the fighting. also try slowing down the line that the fish takes out if the drag is loose with your finger or hand. Just gently press on it . Good luck happens to us all

8. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

Try spider wire. It's great stuff.

9. noway

noway

just my 0.02 and things to point out.

{Do what I do, I put about 20lb test since the lake I go to has so many rocks}

Might be okay on a spin cast setup but a 20lb test line is might thick and will hamper the cast distance with a typical baitcast setups and normally aren't as sensitive when compared to smaller lines. ( I only used 20lb or plus line on my saltwater tackle )

{I let the rod slow it down as much as possible.}

Depends on the action on the rod. General rule of thumb is;

lighter action places more stress equally on the rod & line

heavier action places more stress on the rod vrs the line, due to less flex in th rod.

Now with that said, I used the smallest test lb line with a medium-casting rod and that the general line usage-size post on the rod. And for the big mouth bass down here, 8lb Rapala line is more than enough and I have landed bass with that setup that weighed above 8lbs or near the top-end of 8lb. I ocassion used Rapla line weights of 6lbs and on one ocassion I lost a big "one" with th extra fine 4lb Berkeley XT line.

Okie, we all have lost one or two of the big "ones" and wish we knew what it was. If you get in the habit of cutting the last 3-7yrds of the line prior to start of the fishing and more if you fish around piers/docks/rocks/, and keep a good sharp Japan-point style hook or keep you're hooks sharp, you will get more consistent sets and have less line breakage.

10. IXLR8ED

IXLR8ED

Power Pro line is the way to go. http://www.powerpro.com. I am using the 12lb test diameter that is actually 50lb. test. I was just at the coast this weekend and landed a 46" Redfish. It went about 45 lbs. Power Pro did not flinch and was beautiful line to use.

11. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

i agree with IXLR8ED on powerpro. i don't know if it's as popular with the freshwater crowd as with the saltwater guys but its really the way to go. most common on my reels is 20lb, with 6lb monofilament diameter. lasts alot longer than mono too.

but don't get me wrong, this red came on my quatum micro rod with 4lb mono last week:

[​IMG]

12. noway

noway

Hey where did you catch that Red Drum at? I was over in Sanibel Island a few weekends ago looking for them.

13. flyboy5432H

Mosquito Lagoon, out of Oak Hill Fl.

14. noway

noway

Live bait or lures? do you care to share you're secrets?

I 'm playing around on the gulf coast but plan on doing some red fishing on the space coast later on this year. When do they start the migrating again?

15. flyboy5432H

that particular fish came off of a live shrimp under a float. main reason is cause the rod i was using doesn't have enough backbone to set a hook, other than the circle hooks i use with bait.

my top bait is the yo-zuri SS minnow, which i'm throwing most of the time. it's a killer anywhere i've used it on many species. i'll also take them on fly too.

the flats around canaveral in the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River are truely year round fisheries. the big trout become more prevalent as the water cools off. tarpon can be found in the summer.

lately though i have been giving the flats reds a little rest, it's been snookin season!:

[​IMG]