close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish pics!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by XD9SW99, Jun 11, 2003.

1. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

Here's some pics of the fish I caught tonight...

2. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

another good one

3. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

4. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

5. ILVBLKGUNS

ILVBLKGUNS

You eat carp???;0 ;0

6. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

one last one...

7. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

Negative. I kept em for my sister to use as fertilizer in her garden. The biologist who manages the parks I fish at asked me to start keeping carp, as he wants to reduce their population, so other fish can flourish.

8. ILVBLKGUNS

ILVBLKGUNS

Thank you. You scared me for a second. The only good carp is a dead one.

9. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

Carp are super sport. The big fish took me over 20 minutes to land. When I set the hook, line slipped throgh my hand, I thought I lost him, till he surfaced a hundred feet away. Then he took all the fly line out, and went into more than half the backing (about 75 yards or so) He was way more than half-way out into the lake...He leapt more than any trout I've ever had on, and had the rod bent into a "C"...every time I'd gain a few feet of line, he'd bust back out (I was only palming the spool for drag, instead of relying ont he mechanical drag) and take more line...when I finally got the flyline back on the reel spool, I figured I could actually land this guy (I'd had more fish break me off earlier in the day, which were no doubt much larger than this pig)

Actually getting him in was a PITA...I wore him down, and finally wound up running him head-first between a pair of rocks, and holding the rod in one hand, I reached down and picked him up by the gill plate...

The little lake I fish is FULL of these pigs, and there's bigger fish in the local rivers...Carp upwards of 50lbs have been pulled out by anglers using rod/reel. Last fall I got really serious bout my carp fishing, and am working on refining it. I've taken 10lb fish on ultralight tackle, and this fish is the biggest so far, at around 15lbs...it was taken using a flyrod with a baited hook. My "normal" carp rig is an old eagle-claw flyrod with Shimano 4000 series reel, filled with 14lb line. I run multiple-hook setups on the rivers, and single-hooks on the stillwaters. I use Corkies as floats (I had been pegging them with twigs, however now I just run the line through them twice. It lets me adjust the depth, but still stays where I want it to. I use the large-size round corkies. Then I simply tie a gamakatsu or eagle-claw hook to the end of the line, about 4 feet under (adjusting for water depth) the float, and bait it with either wheat bread of multi-grain bread. I've not had luck with corn for carp, however squawfish go nuts for corn.

I also fish ultra-light spin rods for carp, with similar setup as above, only using 4lb line instead of 14. Carp on ultra-light rods are a kick in the pants! They're becoming my favorite sport-fish...my favorite eating fish are halibut, salmon, and tuna

10. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

btw, I almost always release all fish, carp included...

11. WFR

WFR

So tell us a little more about your rod/reel/line set-up. I'm just getting into flyfishing. I think flyfishing for panfish is a blast. I'm going to try bass on the Susquehanna River this summer.

12. noway

noway

{Negative. I kept em for my sister to use as fertilizer in her garden. }

Alot of private lakes/ponds around here, like to stock them to keep the weeds, eel grass and hydrilla ( spelling ) down. A lake in my old neighborhood had 3 big 20lb+ or greater carp release to controls such weeds.

I never heard of the carp being considered a sporting fish or known of anybody actively catching them ( to many bones for good eating ).

13. Pistol Packin' Pete

Pistol Packin' Pete

Nice pics, I can't tell what's uglier the Carp or the XD. Actually, I know, it's the XD all the way ;)

P.S. In case you can't tell by the ;) , the above post was meant in jest and fun, no offense was meant.

14. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

I've got a few flyrod setups. Those fish were taken on a flyrod, but I broke down and fished bait (rarely do that)

Anyway, here's my setups:

9 foot 6 weight North x Northwest brand rod, which is graphite w/ cork grip and graphite reelset. On the rod is a Cabela's Cahill reel, it's spooled with about 150 yds of 20lb dacron backing line, and a Scientific Angler's WF 6 floating line. I picked up 3 of these lines on closeout from K-Mart for $7 a piece (regularly about 25/line) and a 7.5 foot tapered leader, tapered down to 2X tippet. I usually tie on 24 inches of 3X and then some 4X material, depending on fly-size)

Another rod (my current favorite) is a 7.5 foot 3 weight Cabela's Three Forks 3 piece rod, that I picked up for $50 from their catalog. it is a SWEET casting rod, VERY nice on panfish, trout and small bass. My biggest fish so far on that rod is a 20 inch rainbow trout. Life-changing experience catching such a nice fish on a light rod! On that rod, I've got an Orvis Rocky Mountain reel (the reel was $20 more than the rod was) and an Orvis Hi-Flote line (got it as a gift, it's regularly about $40 from the catalog) and 75 yds or so of 20lb dacron backing. I've currently got a 7.5 foot furled leader that a fly-tying friend sent me. Furled leaders are super-sweet most of the time, but they've got weaknesses (they tangle like a ***** if you have to break your tippet by tugging should you get snagged, or if a pig of a fish breaks you off)

I've also got an 8 foot Pfleuger Summit 5 weight rod that was my mainstay for quite some time. I caught 20+ inch Yellowstone cutts, plate-size hybrid bluegill from Kansas farm ponds, and many a bass.
    Currently that one has a Shimano 2000 series spinning reel on it, with 4lb line, used as an ultra-light carp fishing rod.

I also have a 9 foot 4 weight that I recently broke the tip on (I cried as THAT was my favorite rod. Now it's a useless stick. *sniffle*) that was also a North x Northwest brand rod, with cork grip and wood reelseat, with brass hardware. Beautiful rod. It's caught trout, largemouth bass upto 2lbs, and numerous bluegill/crappie. I have a Pfleuger Medalist reel on it, with 100 yds 20lb dacron, and a 4 weight Scientific Anglers WF 4 Floating line, fishing with a leader that I maid (hand-braided mono, similar to a furled leader, but different enough)

I've also had, in the past, a 9 foot 5/6 weight Cortland CL rod, that I had a Pfleuger Medalist RC reel with 100 yds Dacron, and 5 wt Cortland line. That rod was stolen out of my car 3 yrs ago. That was a nice stiff rod that was my bassin' rod. It was a dark green blank, cork handle, wood reelseat with brass hardware. Very nice.

I've also got an old Eagle Claw glass rod, 8.5 foot, 8 weight, that I have a 4000 series Shimano spin-reel loaded up with 14 lb line, that is my main carp-rod.

When I'm fly fishing, I'm usually targeting panfish or trout. I like dry-fly and surface bug fishing more than sub-surface fishing. (Though a good Woooly Bugger has it's place!) There's nothing like seeing a fish take your fly from the surface, be it a dainty dry fly, or a big gaudy bass bug. I use trout patterns for all my dry-fly fishing, and I've caught trout, all sort of panfish, large and smallmouth bass, squawfish, and small catfish on dry flies.

For smallmouth bass, I like a 5 or 6 weight flyrod, WF line, leaders no longer than 9 foot. I've got a large assortment of bass flies that a friend has tied up for me, plus some that I tied up.

Another way I like to fish flies, is on an ultra-light spinning rod. I've got some small plastic teardrop shaped casting weights that float (not bubbles that can be filled with water) that have screwed in eyelets on both ends. Attach mainline to the narrow end, attach the leader to the other, and tie the fly on the end of the leader (18-36 inches below the weight, sometimes longer) Works great, and is easier than a flyrod in lots of wind. Also, this setup works well with small marabou jigs (last time I was back int he mid-west, I was knockin white bass and "Wipers" dead with small white marabou jigs fished on a 24 inch leader under this casting weight.)

My carp setup, as I described earlier, is a large corkie drifter pegged onto the line about 4 feet (or more, depending on water depth) above a #6 hook, baited with wheat or multi-grain bread. White bread doesn't work well at all.)

if you've got questions about flyfishing, feel free to email me. If you're ever out this way, perhaps we could go fishin sometime.

15. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

Pete,

the XD might be ugly, but it isn't any uglier than a Glock! ;f In fact, the XD is prettier, as it looks more like a Sig than a Glock does. Nothin' prettier than a Sig 220!

16. WFR

WFR

Hey, thanks for all the info.
    I'm thinking of a 8'6 or 9' rod with a 5 or 6 weight line for fishing the river for smallmouth. I already have a Scientific Anglers System I 456 reel that I need to mount on something. I work for Gander Mountain so I may just pick up one of our Guide Series rods. Some of them are actually made for us by St. Croix.
    My current trout rod is a St. Croix Avid 8' 4 weight with a SA System II reel on it.
    I'm still learning knots and such. Tying leader to tippet gives me fits at times. Especially the smaller stuff.
    Recently while I was in VT I got to tour Orvis' new flagship store in Manchester. Couldn't afford a darn thing in there but I did buy an asst of flies and a floating fly case.
    I'll catch up with ya later with some questions. Work is keeping me busy as we're opening 3 new store is my district (NY & PA) this summer.
    Thanks again.

17. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

"Don't ask if the carp is good enough for you to eat. Ask instead if you're good enough to eat carp" ;)

For this first-class dish take, if possible, a Golden carp weighing about four pounds. Remove the skin and stick all over each side (piquer) truffles and raw mushrooms cut in the shape of little lardons. Season it and put it in a dish with very good red wine, brandy, thyme and bayleaf. Leave it there to marinate for several hours, or let it marinate overnight. Then drain it, and put it in a thickly buttered dish, add the wine of the marinade, and braise the fish very gently, with frequent bastings. When it is cooked, drain it thoroughly, arrange it on the serving-dish, and surround it with decorated quenelles, peeled and cooked mushrooms, olive-shaped truffles, little gudgeon egg-and-breadcrumbed and fried, trussed crayfish cooked in a court-bouillon, and if the carp has a roe, the roe cut in slices and cooked à la meunière. Pass the cooking liquor through a sieve, and reduce it quickly by half, then bind it with Kneaded Butter, and finish with more butter. Hand this sauce separately.

18. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

mhambi is right. Carp is pretty good (i've been told) and is served at upper-crust eateries, BUT, here's the key:

Only use fish caught in cooler, CLEAR water bodies. Carp caught from most farm ponds, lakes, and rivers are in warm-water environments, where the bottom is mostly mud (not rock) and the water is almost always muddy to an extent. There is a HUGE difference in how those fish will taste. The carp from teh warm, muddy water is gonna taste like mud. Colder water fish from clear water will taste much better, and the flesh will be firmer and more succulent. Most farm-raised carp are kept in ponds that are clean, and kept semi-cool. Big carp won't taste as good as smaller fish.

Same rules apply with catfish.

On a side note, I went fishing agin tonight. Caught 2 pigs again, had some break me off. Was fishing with the flyrod setup again, using 12-grain bread. One pig came to hand, then broke the line as I tried getting him out of the water. Bastard fish. Took my last Gamakatsu hook. He really hit it too, I had the rod horizontal to the water, resting on a bucket...line just started screaming from the reel as he took, and went i picked up the line to set the hook, he went airborne and cleared the water like free willy jumping a jetty...then he headed for the middle of the lake. Took me into backing like last night's fish, only not quite as far. He did try making a rush for the lilly pads on the far bank, but I turned him before he got in there and kept him in open water.

The fish before him was the twin of the smaller fish from last night.

We had a lot more bites tonight too, lot more hook-spits and break offs. Crazy stuff. Gonna go back on Monday night (I work from tomorrow night thru Sunday night. *sigh*) and catch some more of those pigs :)

19. ILVBLKGUNS

ILVBLKGUNS

;0 ;0 ;0 NASTY!!!!!!!

20. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

I'll try to put together a picture tutorial or something on how to tie my favorite line-to-leader knot. It's so simple it's scary, but i've never lost a leader or a fish because of it. The rod that I caught all my carp on the last two days uses this connection, and it's not failed once. if it'll bring in a 15 lb carp, it'll handle smallies just fine :)