close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish heads, fish guts in my freezer

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by The Pontificator, May 18, 2003.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

I have no readily available way of disposing of fish "cleanings" so I just put all that stuff in double thickness plastic zip lock bags and freeze. Take to dump when it's convenient.

Am I warped?

2. noway

noway

Yes

you don't have trash cans?

I find the saved grocery stores bags, twist tight makes for good fish left-overs. I just got remember to get the garbage bags into to the dumpster or the stray cats makes a mess of ripping the bags opens.

3. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I did exactly the same thing last night. I caught a mess of walleye last week and put the waste in my kitchen garbage. Since my land-fill is only open two days a week, I put the bag in the garage.

Last night, I was fishing again and decided to freeze the waste until I get to the land-fill again. I'm afraid heads and guts in the garage will attract bear. They can really get to ba a nuisance.

I don't think you're warped at all.

4. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I think you are warped, but not because you put fish guts in the freezer. ;f

I just seal mine up good in a bag and throw them in the big trash can outside. The garbage man comes once a week.

Are you gonna do any hunting this year? I was looking at some clubs out your way a few weeks back. I think I will just hunt GML this year and save some cash.

5. tjpet

tjpet

We usually clean our fish at the lake and throw the guts in the nearest trash can.

6. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

Sounds like good bear bait to me!

7. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

my dad an i did the same exact thing since trash p/u was only twice a week. when the trashman figured out what it was he started keeping them to slop his hawgs. he would always ask where we caught all these fish.:) at the time we were having a very good year.

8. The Pontificator

I only fish, not much of a hunter unless it's hunting HUMANS ;v (constable work ;f )

Trash man only comes once a week. Even in zip lock bags, if I toss them guts in the trash the cats/dogs/raccoons/possums are going to rip it open in no time. I just wait until it's "trash day" and toss the frozen bag into the trash on my way to work.

9. fajizzle nizzle

fajizzle nizzle

Two ideas. Clean your fish at the lake/river and pitch the leavins in the water. Return it to the food chain. Or you could just burry them in your garden.

10. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

Hey Pontif,
    Do you ever fish for catfish? Have friends who do? Crappie and Bluegill (and other panfish) guts make GREAT bait for catfish. My dad and I had a blast hauling in eating-size cats last time we were back in the midwest. We did, however, make the mistake of leaving a jar of frozen guts in the van, with the windows up...we went fishing in the morning, and figgered we'd be in to the second quart-jar of guts before it got hot. Well, we weren't. When we trudged back up to the van to head back for lunch...we were greeted by the (un)pleasant aroma of exploded guts. It soaked the passenger side floorboard...we cleaned the (*#%&@(#*%& van top to bottom, and used air fresheners...it...did...not...work...we had to deal with the lingering stink of fishguts until we got back to Oregon, two weeks later...*shudder* the stink did eventually come out (with more scrubbing)

Lesson: Don't leave glass jars of guts in your car!

Better lesson: TAKE ALL YOUR DAMN BAIT WITH YOU.

Another lesson: Impale the liver on one or two prongs of a treble hook, letting the rest of the guts dangle. Guts are mighty hearty bait, and don't tear off easily! Guts fished on 18 inch leaders under sliding cone or barrel sinkers is great fun for channel and bluecat!

I'd love to go fishing with you sometime Pont. Love panfishing and ultra-light fishing...

11. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

OHyeah, if you don't catfish, or know someone that does...take your frozen guts to nearby baitshops. We were paying $2-3 per quart jar for crappie guts at the baitshops in KS. If you can't sell em, at least the guy will prolly take them off your hands and sell them himself (I hear that there is some mighty fine cat-fishin in your part of the country)

12. The Pontificator

In SC it is illegal to use gamefish as bait.
    Bream are not considered gamefish, but crappie are.
    My bag is filled with crappie guts.
    I'll just dump the bag in the trash come trash day.

13. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

You can't even use the guts of the fish? Hm. That sucks. Do you have a garden?

Its funny the crappie are gamefish, and bream aren't...do they consider yellow perch game fish in your neck of the woods?

14. The Pontificator

I don't believe yellow perch are found in SC. I believe you have to travel up to KY, VA or TN to find them. I wish we did have them here, because I'd be chasin' them down...GOOOOOOOOOD eatin'! ;f

15. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

Hey, I'll trade you my state for yours! About a decade ago, me and my dad's favorite trout-lake was overrun by yellow perch, which were introduced by ODFW (according to one of their monkies that we've run into at the lake) and the trout fishery went to hell. Ten years ago, it was not uncommon to get 15 trout per day boated. Now however, you're lucky if you get 1 in a month of fishing (at least baitfishing like my dad and i did. Trolling will net you more fish, but my dad hates trolling with a passion.) So now, places that we used to catch trout by fishing worms...you'll get overrun by yellow perch. They're fun, yes, when you're catching a mess of em (300 fish days are not uncommon in late summer) however, 14-16 inch trout vs 4-5 inch perch (stunted because of the vast population) is not a hard decision to make. Even fishing ultra-light rigs, the perch just aren't as fun. I couldn't get my dad into gillie fishin' in these parts...he's stuck in his ways. We hardly ever kept hte perch either, since they were so small. One of my aunts did request that we did. We kept em once. Cleaning fifty perch, the largest of which was about 7 inches, sucked. She got a sammich bag full of fillets for all the trouble. While perch taste good, there's not enough meat on their bones to warrant the work cleaning them :)

I don't keep fish to eat often anyway, when I do it's always trout or salmon, or catfish. Catfish is gooood!