close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FIrst Wireless questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Jul 26, 2006.

1. pascal

pascal

Hello,
    Managed to get the wireless router running (using the NetMagic install software, Premium version who's lifetime is 30 days unless purchased). The DSL Modem via the FastAccess wizard. Lot of stuff there and it doesn't always agree on what is happening. Fastaccess says I'm offline even though I'm not, NetMagic say I'm offline and not secure even though I am.
    Question #1- Is it advisable to not use these wizards? Currently the DSL connection doesn't show in Internet Tools. Bellsouth so far has not responded.
    #2 How do you access the router firewall software for setup and updates?
    #3 Should you run the DSL line through a outlet surge protector prior to going into the system?
    #4 Why does the Router Tech say not to change the default logins and passwords?
    #5 Why does he suggest WEP and say that WPA and WPA2 is only for business'? The website only said WEP and WPA, upgrade shows WPA2.
    That should be enough for a simple start. Thanks for any knowledge/experience!
    pascal

2. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

I've never used Bell South, and I don't know what router you're using or anything about Net Magic, so I can't answer some of your questions.
    No, this will usually fail to pass the DSL signal.
    For both #4 & #5, because he either doesn't know what he's talking about, or doesn't want you calling back when you have trouble with WPA.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Assuming you're using the DLink WBR 1310 you've mentioned in other threads:

2. To access your firewall. If you don't have a manual with your router, go HERE and download it(Product Manual on the right). You'll need a PDF document reader(like Adobe Acrobat). If your manual is the same as the one I just looked at online, it should reference on page 14 how to get into the web based configurator.

Here's the quick and dirty.

Open a web browser, Enter the IP address of the router: 192.168.0.1

When the "Sign in" box comes up, enter Admin as the user name, and by default, password is blank, so just the user name and OK, should log you in to the router(Note, you should make sure you change that). The manual then proceeds through each step of setting up the router, what some things mean, etc. If you don't have it, it'd probably be wise to download it, but I imagine its probably on the CD that came with the router.

If you get a "Page cannot be displayed" error, refer to the trouble shooting section of the manual...

Hope that helps.

IGF

4. pascal

pascal

Good Day SomeGuyInAHat and IGF,
    I tend to agree about the possible explanation of the tech agent. Thanks about the surge protector question. I've been on the quick way and didn't see anything in particular. Will dutifly go back and recheck. Thanks for the info and advice.
    pascal

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Note that the router's IP address might differ from that given by IGF, but everything else is spot on.

Mine is on 192.168.254.254, and many other brands of router use this addy for accessing the firmware, too.

BTW, those were just the standard SOP for ISPs whose customers don't know any better.

If you do know better, then you don't need to ask them about it, you'll set up your packet filtering in a few minutes and nothing will ever come across their Help Desk about it.

But set all your customers up with WPA or WPA2 and the calls will flood in.

It's a matter of dealing with the lowest common denominator; all you have to do is get edumacated so you can set them up on your own.

Much as with building PCs, it really isn't hard to do once you know what you are doing.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I just went off what was in the PDF instruction manual when I explained it to him, but you're right, it could definitely be different...

Does http://www.routerlogin.net work for everyone, or just Netgear, and others that use the generic 192.xxx.x.x? I've never tried it on any PC's other than my own.

IGF

7. pascal

pascal

Mine is the address IGF gave. Quite a few options to set up. I did find the manual on the install disk so I can study it. I set it to WPA2, no broadcast and 802.11g only.
    I'm having difficulty fathoming the extent of the firewall setup.
    Does anyone know of a accessory program that would display on the toolbar indicating DSL connection and speed?
    Something is still not quite right, computer will lock-up trying to load a page and eventually reboot.
    Thanks as always.
    pascal

8. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

I'm not aware of any such program, but my advice to you would be to uninstall any software that came with your DSL service. Absolutely non is needed, assuming that your computer is connected to your DSL gateway by ethernet.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I totally agree with that, when I had Cable installed, I told him I didn't want any unnecessary software installed. He then went on to explain anti-spyware, antivirus, etc, I told him no thanks, I had my own programs to do that. If for some reason he had installed them, I'd have uninstalled them as soon as he walked out the door.

IGF

10. pascal

pascal

The plot thickens! I removed the FastAccess Help Center, and was considering letting the NetMagic software expire. Then I was playing with the second computer as I downloaded a driver to get the network card working and connected it to the router. Was planning on using the NetMagic as a quick way to get DSL to it, but the options were connect via Windows XP or NetMagic. As I'm too new and running W2K and the install was for wireless only I dumped. In my Internet Tools I still show no connection for the DSL and since I deleted Netscape I show no entries. Does this imply that I could have installed with XP on the main computer and had features that are currently unavailable, like a Visible entry in Network Connections??
    I am loathe to dump NetMagic as yet as I'm still enamored with HIGH SPEED INTERNET.
    Anyone know about DSL connection tweaking? Running a Connection testing program (trialware) that says I'm running slower than I should be and it would help if I purchased the full version. It mentioned Webcache and such.
    pascal

11. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

I'm not sure exactly what your situation is. Let me see if I have this right: You have a desktop PC running XP that is connected to your gateway by ethernet. You have an additional PC running Win2k. How is the Win2k PC connected to the gateway (Wireless, Ethernet, USB)?

The only software either of your computers would possibly need is a driver for a wireless adapter. Win2k also needs a client manager for a wireless adapter.

To test your bandwidth, use one of these tests. This is also a good forum for your ISP.

12. pascal

pascal

Hello and your evaluation was correct. I have the W2K hooked up via ethernet. I would like to get that onto the DSL. Currently the W2K knows there is a network and is connected although no actual communications are occuring. I don't need to transfer files between the computers necessarily, just want to get it onto the net.
    The XP does not show in the IE6 Internet Options/Connections any connections. Wondering if this can be done (Bellsouth indicated that this was not necessary) but!!!!!
    Used the Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test so far, thanks for the link. Thanx
    pascal

13. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

Ok, so you have two computers and they're both connected to the gateway by ethernet, right? The one that's running XP can surf and the one that's running Win2k can't, right? I'm just trying to make sure I understand.

Bellsouth was correct when they said you don't need to have anything listed under connections.

Here's what I suggest on the Win2k machine:
    1. Verify that it is obtaining it's IP address by DHCP.
    2. Verify that the IP address obtained is not 169.254.xxx.xxx
    3. Remove any firewall or internet security software - it may be securing you off the internet.
    4. Verify there are no connections listed in Internet Options.
    5. On the same tab, click on Lan Settings and verify none of those options are checked.
    Check those items. If you need help or still can't surf, check back.

14. pascal

pascal

Hello,
    Don't know what happened but I responded to SGIAH yesterday, and now it's gone. Anyway could you please advise on the correct (easy) way to do #1 on your list? And yes to your deductions!
    pascal

15. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

It's been a while since I've done this on Win2k, but if I remember correctly, it's:

Start->Control Panel->Network & Dial Up Connections

Right click on local area connection and choose properties.

On the General tab, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties.

Verify that "Obtain an IP address automatically is selected.

Verify that "Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected.

Click OK.

Click Close.

To check your IP address on Win2k:

Start->Run

Type in "cmd" without the quotes and click OK.

At the command prompt, type "ipconfig" without the quotes and press enter.

16. pascal

pascal

The two Obtain address' are both checked. You remembered well as the followings shows.
    Connection-Specific DNS Suffix: --Blank
    Autoconfiguration IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: --Blank
    Under Advanced TCP/IP on IP Settings it indicates DHCP Enabled and no entry in Default Gateway.
    DNS tab shows basically blank, WINS shows no address' and enable LMHOSTS lookup/ Use Netbios settings on DCHP Server.
    OPTIONS show IP Security and TCP/IP filtering.
    The Network Connection icon is on screen and it shows 100MBS with 66 packets sent and NONE received. Hope that helps. TIA
    pascal

17. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

Well, that's why you can't surf.

At the command prompt, type "ipconfig /renew" without the quotes. This should force your computer to attempt to get an IP address from the gateway.

18. pascal

pascal

Intermittent success due to operator error. Upon rebooting the 169.254 address showed on Autoconfiguration with the Subnet at 255.255.0.0. Did a renew but it indicated that the DCHP Server was unreachable. This occurred with and without Zonealarm on.
    pascal

19. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

There's your problem. Completely remove ZoneAlarm. It's securing you right out of the internet. And now that you have a hardware firewall, it isn't necessary. I realize that comment will cause contreversy. :shrug:

169.254.x.x is not a valid IP address. It's an autoconfiguration address, which means that it's what the system uses if it fails to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server.

20. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Hmmmm.... I've never seen Zone Alarm prevent a DHCP subscription. I know it can, but it doesn't by default.

I'm wondering if he has a cable problem.

Quick and easy check is to hand configure a static IP and try pinging the router.