Glock Talk banner

first two Glocks

587 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  bac1023
recently purchased a G20 and a G29. been getting used to them over the last few months, but just punching holes in paper. took the 29 out yesterday. someone had a log out there around 14 inches thick. man did the 10mm destroy the log. wondered as I began how far into the log my mid range 180 grain reloads would penetrate. I am sure my mouth fell open after a couple mags when I noticed the sawdust blowing out the back of the log. I am impressed. wonder what the hot loads would do?!?! think I will make this little snot my EDC. the combination of the pistol and the round makes it a bit of a monster. carried the 20 all last week on the coast of lake Superior. I am thinking black bear would have no chance. my grandchildren will never be harmed when grampy is around. should be a good choice for both two and four legged predators.
Reactions: TN.Frank
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,031 Posts
Interesting, from Indiana and Lake Superior always brings pleasant memories. If your skills under duress are up to snuff, and dependant on what ammo you use the 10 should prove its salt. What areas along Lake Superiors' coast do you traverse?

· Registered
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shipwreck coast from Munising east. Primarily Grand Marais. Beautiful and peaceful, had eight grandchildren, three oldest children plus spouses all week. I think I spent 200 obamabucks just for ice cream! We have been going there every few years as a family since 1962. We also spent some time in Saint Ignace, a day on the island and a day at the locks.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
Sounds like a fun family time which will provide good memories.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,031 Posts
Shipwreck coast from Munising east. Primarily Grand Marais. Beautiful and peaceful, had eight grandchildren, three oldest children plus spouses all week. I think I spent 200 obamabucks just for ice cream! We have been going there every few years as a family since 1962. We also spent some time in Saint Ignace, a day on the island and a day at the locks.
Its been 20 years since Ive been there, got to get up there again, I am sure it has changed, WhiteFish Point and the light house museum. Munising and Pictured Rock Cruises were sights to behold.

· Registered
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and the real beauty of it is just how little it has all changed in 20 years. hell, make that fifty years. the biggest change may be H58 finally got paved. still slow because of constant curves, back and forth all the way from Munising to Grand Marais. there might be one stretch where you can get up to speed. the 31st we had the blue moon rising and the sun setting at the same time. picture perfect in both directions at once. any person who appreciates peace and rugged wilderness is at home there. if it weren't for the winters I'd have moved there when I was young.

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
Darn, starting off with two 10mm Glock pistols. Nice to hear you reload as I noticed 10mm ammo can be pricey. Enjoy your new pistols and be safe.

· "Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
I had that same pair of Glocks back in 1999 and they were a great set of pistols. 10mm Auto is an awesome cartridge, especially if you handload so you can roll your own on the cheap and load it full power when needed. Even though I've got a G26.17 combo and a G39/37 combo I could be happy with a G29/20 combo just as easily. Congrats on the Glocks.

· Registered
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
started reloading 35 years ago, when the kids were little and money was tight. that allowed me an extra hobby and the platform to teach all of them to shoot. 10mm is just the next caliber on the shelf. this is likely one of the reasons all my children grew up to be better than their dad. time spent is a great value when raising your family. we went everywhere together and did as much as possible.
the two 10mm Glocks are sort of my retirement presents to me. started working part time after school in 1964 and just hung it up. feels good. #1 success over all these years is the kids.

· Registered
131,451 Posts
recently purchased a G20 and a G29. been getting used to them over the last few months, but just punching holes in paper. took the 29 out yesterday. someone had a log out there around 14 inches thick. man did the 10mm destroy the log. wondered as I began how far into the log my mid range 180 grain reloads would penetrate. I am sure my mouth fell open after a couple mags when I noticed the sawdust blowing out the back of the log. I am impressed. wonder what the hot loads would do?!?! think I will make this little snot my EDC. the combination of the pistol and the round makes it a bit of a monster. carried the 20 all last week on the coast of lake Superior. I am thinking black bear would have no chance. my grandchildren will never be harmed when grampy is around. should be a good choice for both two and four legged predators.
Congrats on the G29 and G20...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.