close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First two days on my '05 Kawasaki ZZR

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by stmcelroy, Apr 27, 2007.

1. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

After a couple of years of wanting a street bike but not having the money, I finally decided to dump my Polaris ATV and buy a bike.

I spent at least two weeks:supergrin: perusing the internet and dealers, and finally bought a bike.

I have ridden so in the past, but most of my experience has been on ATV's on one sort or another. Also, being 35 and very responsible I decided to start on a sporty bike.

The original plan was to buy a new Kawasaki Ninja 650R, but I decided a somewhat used bike would be better. Found this 2005 Kawasaki ZZR600 for $5,200 and was immediately in love.

She's been pretty well babied and is all stock with less than 3,800 miles on her.

Wednesday I got my learners permit(i'm taking the MSF class in two weeks), picked up a helmet and went and paid a years of full coverage insurance($181).

Thursday was my inauguration and I was fairly nervous but had a nice 15 mile ride, only killing it twice at a stop sign.

Today I decided to go do a little ride to familiarize myself some more with the bike and ended up riding 50 miles and had a wonderful time. Plus I didn't kill it at all.

I've got more to learn, but i'm really looking forward to a fun summer.

Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Just be safe man.
    It's the idiots not on bikes you gotta watch out for....besides I need people to buy guns from.;)

:thumbsup:

3. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Will do, two wrecks in the last 8-1/2 months have made me pretty conscientious on the road.

Steve

4. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

A tip on taking off from a dead stop.
    Give the bike just a little gas.
    Slowly let the clutch out.
    When you feel the bike start to roll forward, hold the clutch at that position.
    Now feed in more throttle until you are rolling along decently then let the clutch the rest of the way out smoothly.
    Ex-ATV riders are the worst about letting the clutch out too fast, which causes you to lurch to a stop with a dead engine.
    Work on keeping the clutch in the engagement zone and using the throttle to leave from a stop and you'll be looking like a pro in no time.

5. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

NMGlocker,

Thank you for the tip, that's kind of what I was doing today. Like I said today was stall free:supergrin: .

Steve

6. 357glocker

357glocker

Nice looking bike! My buddy just got a ZZR600 about a month ago. He really likes the bike. I've ridden it a couple of times and it feels great.
    Good choice, ride careful and have fun.

7. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Just be aware of "the blind guy" he is the guy in a car that cannot see you at all. It happens a lot. Consider that you are invisible on the road and drive defensively and you should be fine. I must recommend early morning rides when you have the roads to yourself, you may live in an area where you can find that easier than I can. I have a 2003 Yamaha FZ1 myself and have been riding since I was 9.

8. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

The best time locally to ride is between 9am and 2pm during the week, when everyone is at work or in school.

Steve

9. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

A Most Excellent Motorcycle. You should get many many miles of FUN from it. Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

A Good Looking Bike Too!!!

10. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Glad to hear you got it, I'm sure you'll really enjoy riding the new toy. If you haven't already, buy and memorize "Proficient Motorcycling", it's full of good info especially for a beginning rider.

Yep my favorite time to go for a ride is before 10am on weekdays, very few commuters and more folks who drive for a living. Stay away from food establishments and main thoroughfares during lunch hour too. And I try to return before the schools start to let out.