close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Turkey Hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by jpzaf, May 19, 2006.

1. jpzaf

jpzaf Confused?

I went out this morning for my first turkey hunt. We got out to the woods at about 4:30 and got settled in. Neither one of us had ever shot a turkey before.

At about 5:05 the Tom hit the groung gobbling. My buddy hit his box call and Tom went nuts. It took him about four minutes to come within range.

We were setup in the corner of a pasture just at the woodline. At about 50yds out there was a hill that any turkey coming towards us had to come over. We setup a couple of decoys to our right so that the turkey would have to pass us to get to them.

Well, Tom came to the top of the hill and stopped to look at the decoys. My buddy called to him and he responded and than ran at the decoys and stopped about 45yds away from me. He was running the top of the hill! WTF?

At this point it didn't look like he was going to come in any further. I waited for one last gobble and dropped him where he stood.

He weighed 18lbs, 10inch beard, one 3/4" and one 7/8" spurrs.
    Around hear that's not a bad turkey:cool:

It was foggy and misting out. The damn flash on the camera just reflected off the fog and rain so the pics suck!

Thanks for reading-JPZAF

2. Lennyjoe

Lennyjoe

Good on ya. It's a blast isn't it?

I bagged this Merriams turkey in the White Mountains here in AZ on the 7th of May.

[​IMG]