First trip to range with G33 and G19 RTF2

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by fsqridah, Mar 26, 2010.

1. fsqridah

fsqridah

This is gonna sound really stupid, but I've been carrying my G33 for almost two months and until yesterday I hadn't gotten in any range time. But I've been super busy working two jobs (7 days a week, mind you), so free time's been a little short.

Anyway, I got my girlfriend a G19 RTF2 last Thursday. That thread is in the women's issues forum. So yesterday I was able to get the night off from work and we headed down to Bud's to do some shooting. I had some S&B 140gr FPs and she had some Federal AE 115gr FMJs. She doesn't have a lot of experience shooting, and so far all she has shot is a 3" 1911 .45ACP, G26, and G29. So she hasn't had the best track record regarding beginning shooters. The G19 is definitely a step in the right direction.

Her first 30 rounds at five yards were just great. Most of them were inside the 9 ring with a couple of stomach-area fliers. I'd say at least half of her shots were in the 10-ring, and several in the X. I took a few shots with it and instantly learned why the G19 is so popular. It's so soft shooting! The lightest-recoiling gun I've shot other than a Walther P22 was a G26, so the G19 was a treat. She got a little discouraged about the stomach shots and I just laughed and told her that the guy was dead a long time ago. Stomach shots hurt, too. :)

So it was time to load up the G33 and get some lead downrange. I've shot a G33 before but it had been a long time. I remembered it being extremely snappy, but controllable. I guess I've gotten a lot better with managing recoil; there was virtually no muzzle climb. It really felt like I was shooting a full-size .45. Somehow the recoil was straight back and there was no more muzzle climb than with the G19. Sure was easier to bring the sight back on target than a G29 with 155gr/1400fps loads from DT. I ran 50 rounds of the S&B through and 10 rounds of DT 125gr JHPs. I don't carry them because they actually have 124gr 9mm bullets in them. The difference in muzzle energy was noticeable, but it was still a total *****cat compared to the G29. You can't do doubletaps at Bud's, but I'm positive once I get to do some outdoor shooting, my doubletaps will be very quick. I did shoot a few of the DT rounds one-handed, and that's when I really felt the power of the .357 SIG. Somehow shooting one-handed was more difficult than with the G29, but two-handed shooting was super soft. I'm okay with that.

Since we were sharing a lane, I had my girlfriend load up a mag of the 140gr FPs and take a few shots. That's when I realized how powerful the little G33 is. Compared to a .40, .45ACP, and .380ACP that were also being fired in the range, it was by far the loudest. Standing behind her, you could feel the shock wave of the blast sucking the air away from your face. It was pretty badass. After three rounds she set the gun down on the shelf and said, "I don't like that. I can feel the air moving. Why would you want something that powerful?" I was like, "Well, um...it works better." I didn't want to get into ballistics, so that was my answer. The DT loads didn't produce any flame from the muzzle, but the S&Bs were throwing the flame a foot in each direction.

I did find that I got hit pretty hard in the forehead by 3 or 4 casings from the G33. The G19 produced no such issues, but it's not something I'm worried about. I will always be sure to wear eye protection when I shoot it.

So back to the girlfriend. She had a little bit of a flinch every once in awhile, but after 100 rounds, there was nothing but a ragged hole in the middle of the two silhoutte targets we used. She took some carefully aimed shots as well as some fairly rapid shots that one might call a very slow doubletap. Ironically, when she fired more quickly, she had the best trigger control. Her "doubletaps" were hitting less than an inch apart at five yards. So I'm anxious to get outside and shoot and see how she does. The G19 was very controllable even for her, and she really enjoyed shooting it. I knew she would shoot it fairly well, but she impressed the heck out of me. I think the RTF2's texturing and the 9mm's soft recoil really made the shooting fun for her, and she's ready for round 2.

Just thought I'd share. I'm looking to get a G32 at some point, but right now my budgeting is going toward a reloading setup so I can shoot .357 SIG for less than 60 cents/round. Sure the .357 SIG has great ballistics, but the shooting qualities are even better.

2. mclaren

mclaren

G33 is a beast with any ammo IMHO. Its more brutal on the recieving end though. Thats what matters

3. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

sounds like a great trip to the range! As a sidenote, I have a G32 & absolutely LOVE that thing! Be prepared to bring extra ammo whenever shooting 357sig on the range (especially if it's an indoor one) because you will make lots of friends once they hear/see/feel the BLAM when you touch off a round & they'll want to play w/it, too.

4. Dobie

Dobie

Nice report. I love my G26 and will get a 19 soon.
    How did she like the RTF2?

5. fsqridah

fsqridah

It might be that I've changed my grip. Previously I used a weaver grip with my index finger around the trigger guard to really anchor the front end down. Now, I still use a weaver, but I use a traditional "wrap-around" grip with my weak hand index finger in between my firing hand index and middle finger webbing. I really emphasize the push/pull technique and it helps a lot. Either way, I had no problem with the G33's recoil.

I had another 90 rounds on hand in case someone wanted to trade guns for a minute or two. We ran out of time (only had 35 minutes before they closed the range) so we didn't light them all off.

She LOVES the RTF2. I personally think it's kind of silly looking, but the polymid texturing on the grip is like glue. It won't tear your hand to shreds like grip tape, but the amount of hold you get on it is just insane. I can't tell a lot of difference with the slide serrations since I don't really even need them most of the time, but my girlfriend likes them as she gets more grip on the slide than with the standard serrations. Eventually she'll get used to working the slide, but for now, the arcs are great for her.