close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First timer Competitor Question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TatonkaJack, Jan 22, 2007.

1. TatonkaJack

TatonkaJack

I am planning on attending my first GSSF match next month in Orlando, FL. With the match being held over 2 days, is it that way in order to allow for all competitors to have enough time to shoot all stages in all entered divisions? What I mean is, does it (or can it) take 2 days to shoot the match, or can all stages be done in one day? I can understand it if you are entered in multiple divisions that it would take longer, but I'm only planning on competing on 1 division. So, if I am able to complete all stages on Saturday, does that mean I'm done with the match and can't come back and compete again on Sunday?

2. glockwerkes

glockwerkes

You have the option to shoot both days if you choose, by no means is it required. Assuming that you are not qualified as a master since this is your first match, you may enter up to six categories or divisions. You may only shoot each division once per match. In your case the most obvious choice is "amatuer civillian". All courses of fire are the same, so you could enter another division and shoot that first as a warm up to your primary division. Your model of pistol to be used would also determine which category to choose as your second division.

You can never tell how long it will take to complete a match. It all depends on how many competitors show up at the same time you do. If you get there early (as in when it opens)you will be able to leisurely sign up, take the new guy briefing, and then be able to watch others and get the feel for it. I would encourage you to shoot more than one division, it's worth it.

Take your time and HAVE FUN. You'll be hooked.

Good luck.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i use to shoot all 6 classes and did it all in a day, or if i wanted i could of spread it out over two days. you might want to look at shooting another class as a warm up or just more trigger time. my guess is you're shooting AmCiv so shooting Master Stock or Competition first for a warm up with the same gun would be a good move.

4. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Remember one thing...you can use (1) pistol to shoot (4) categories...example: using a stock 17...shoot 1)Unlimited 2) Master Stock 3)Competition and (4) Amateur Civilian.....the course of fire is the same and if you need some practice like me I use the first three as practice and keep the Amateur Civilian for last ...hoping that this is my best effort. I would suggest in entering (2)lets say Competition as a warmup and finally Amateur Civilian as your last category....the above is just an example and may or not pertain to you and your situation....Good Luck.:thumbsup:

5. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

OHHHH..one more thing...EDE you might hook him up as an RO...even being a first timer....theres benefits with helping and pasting...FREE STUFF...ohhhh yea and then theres those Random Pistols that they draw for....hmmmm:)

6. tlish

tlish ammo liberator

can you elaborate on this? what's the difference between unlimited, master stock, competition, and amateur civilian? i would like to try gssf, checked out the website, and still not sure i understand everything. could you walk me through a whole match? thanks!

7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

go to www.gssfonline.com and look at the entry form and you'll get an idea of what guns are legal in what class. basically unlimited is a no rules class open to any one, competition is an amature class for the long slide and C model guns, but others are legal too, master stock is open to anyone and for the standard guns, g17,g19, g22 etc. amciv is the amature counter part to master stock and amguard is the same as amciv but for LE, firefighters, military, emts, etc.

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

I'm surprised one (or more) of those sterling gentlemen from Florida hasn't contacted you yet to meet up with you at the match and, literally, walk you through it.

:patriot:

9. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i'd be happy to do it, but i'm not from FL.

10. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

The above categories that I listed allow you to shoot (3) Courses of Fire..1) 5 to glock 2) Glock M and 3) Plates.You will shoot 5 targets on the 5 to glock (2) times and you will do this three strings...the Glock M will require you to shoot 5-7 targets and you will expend (9) bullets ...unless you miss the steel popper and have up to 11 chances to be successful...the plates allows you 11 bullets to knockdown 6 plates and you do this 4 times...The categories dictate what type of pistol you can use to accomplish the task.....the unlimited designates all possible options...Master Stock and Amateur Civilian is a stock pistol ...the category evens the playing field for Amateurs and Master stock for the pro's ...an Amateur can compete with the pro's... Competition allows pistols which are longslides and or compensated. Ede outlined your source of information...I would suggest that you enlist a Mentor...where would you be competing???:supergrin:

11. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Ede...we really do not know if this person is from Florida....could be from Ohio or Hawaii???:hugs:

12. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Could be from Minnesota???:thumbsup:

13. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I don't think GSSF has any matches where he/she is located. "In the wide open spaces" Could be a ringer, seems we have a few lately. :thumbsup: ;)

14. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Yes...mysterious isn't it???? Time may tell.... :whistling:

15. ede

ede Bama's Friend

my guess is he/she is from the great state of indiana

16. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

:embarassed:

Well, isn't my face red. I got confused between that & the orig poster from St. Cloud (although there is a St. Cloud in MN too...)

tlish, if you'd like to disclose your undisclosed location (unless it would endanger the VP) it's more likely someone from your area might be able to help. My start in GSSF resulted in much the same way with an invite by Butch & dp177 to come next door to MN and practice with them. Bulk of the GSSF folks I've met at the matches are only too happy to help get someone started.

:patriot:

17. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Mystery solved...the person is a married Lady...whose husband is a 1911 lover...SHE has a model 19....and EDE you win...she's posting on the Indiana Board...and Steve from eagle Creek is already talking to her about RO'ing for Indy.... :thumbsup:

18. tlish

tlish ammo liberator

y'all are hilarious! yes, i'm a hoosier! i guess i miss out on a lot of action when i don't check back on all my posts! so, i think i'm more clear on how gssf works now. somebody pm'ed and explained the course. i also checked out the website. and yes, i plan to go to the indiana match in june. i'm very excited about it!

thanks for all the responses and offers to help. i promise i wasn't being mysterious or elusive; i just can't remember where all my posts are to back and check on them. i'll be more diligent in the future!

19. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

N0 problem...you are going to find a bunch of people that you will consider FAMILY before too long and the bigger the better...EDE is also an INDYGLOCKER and hails from OHIO as well as Glockess56 and about 6 other people scattered throughout the TRI-STATE area...I'm on the Indiana/Michigan border about 10 miles east of South Bend...I shoot now once a month at Atlanta and Porter County ( Steel matches)if you are closer this way looking for IDPA you will have to look at the Livingston Gun Club up in Michigan ( Brighton) they also hold an Annual GSSF match there in September or probably Bend of the River up close to me in Niles,Michigan....Good Luck :wavey:

20. Defiance

Defiance

Here's another reason to get a "mentor" (aka experienced GSSF member) to help you understand the matches better = FREE GLOCKS! :banana:

BOTH you and the existing member get to sign up for the "Bring a new GSSF memberto the match and win a Glock" raffle. No extra fee, and great odds on winning.