Glock Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does a typical outdoor GSSF match work if you’re shooting more than one division. Do you stay at the bench and shoot each one of your divisions after the other or do you go to the back of the line and wait to shoot the next one. Just trying to understand the process and figure out how many divisions I want to shoot for my first match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
The rules say you can only shoot four divisions consecutively. Most matches have multi-gun lanes if you have more than 4 entries.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

·
Pistol People
459 Posts
How does a typical outdoor GSSF match work if you’re shooting more than one division. Do you stay at the bench and shoot each one of your divisions after the other or do you go to the back of the line and wait to shoot the next one. Just trying to understand the process and figure out how many divisions I want to shoot for my first match.

You need at least four magazines for each division.If you're shooting 2 divisions and only have 4 loaded mags, just let the squad person know. They'll arrange it so you can shoot one division, step out to reload while a couple of other people shoot, then step back in. You cannot re-load on the firing line.

·
Registered
G17.5, G17.5 MOS, G42, G26.5, G44, G30.4, G23.5 (inbound)
231 Posts
kdm and Ann are correct. I've been to 3 outdoor events (Bridgeville, Summit Point, and Mt Pleasant) so far this year, and none of them have had multi entry lanes, mostly due to the shortage of volunteers.

You definitely need 4 magazines per division, but having 5 is good insurance, especially if you use a Barney mag! I make it a point to recommend to new (or less experienced) shooters that they shoot 5 to Glock first then Glock M before the Plates so you can see where your pistol is printing at the various distances [make sure that you walk the targets as they're being scored so you can see the point of impact]. Personally, I believe that this approach increases your chances of taking down the Plates faster. I also recommend that shooters start with the lesser recoiling calibers and work up (i.e.: 22, 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45, then 10mm). I have seen very few 357 Sigs on the line in the past few years.

Usually, the fastest moving stage is the Plates. Glock M and 5 to Glock tend to get backed up faster because of the need to do a coordinated movement down range in order to score and paste targets. Helping paste targets helps speed up the stages.

Skippy, IIRC, you are from the north Jersey area. Are you making Jackson your first GSSF match?

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Really depends on the match. Lot have stages set up for multi division shooters. Others you shot 3-4 let another shooter shoot then you go back and shoot some more. Depends too if you have mags loaded to keep shooting or if you need to stop to reload.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kdm and Ann are correct. I've been to 3 outdoor events (Bridgeville, Summit Point, and Mt Pleasant) so far this year, and none of them have had multi entry lanes, mostly due to the shortage of volunteers.

You definitely need 4 magazines per division, but having 5 is good insurance, especially if you use a Barney mag! I make it a point to recommend to new (or less experienced) shooters that they shoot 5 to Glock first then Glock M before the Plates so you can see where your pistol is printing at the various distances [make sure that you walk the targets as they're being scored so you can see the point of impact]. Personally, I believe that this approach increases your chances of taking down the Plates faster. I also recommend that shooters start with the lesser recoiling calibers and work up (i.e.: 22, 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45, then 10mm). I have seen very few 357 Sigs on the line in the past few years.

Usually, the fastest moving stage is the Plates. Glock M and 5 to Glock tend to get backed up faster because of the need to do a coordinated movement down range in order to score and paste targets. Helping paste targets helps speed up the stages.

Skippy, IIRC, you are from the north Jersey area. Are you making Jackson your first GSSF match?
That is the hopeful plan. I have a family thing in the afternoon so hoping I can head down early and get through the stages by lunch time. I’m undecided how many divisions to shoot. I have a G37 and G48mos so my thoughts were heavy metal and mos. Not sure if I wanted to run stock with the 37 or unlimited with the 48. Thinking of just running 2 for my first match to see how it goes.

·
Registered
G17.5, G17.5 MOS, G42, G26.5, G44, G30.4, G23.5 (inbound)
231 Posts
@SkippyKustoms, if you enter Amateur Civilian/Guardian (whichever you are eligible for), you are then eligible for any special categories that you may qualify for. Remember, if this is your first outdoor GSSF event, register for the first timer pistol drawing! Are you looking at shooting on Saturday or Sunday?

If you have adequate ammo, you could shoot your 37 in Amateur and Heavy Metal, and your 48 MOS in MOS and Unlimited. However, in Unlimited, you would be running against guns with modifications that could put your 48 (if stock) at a disadvantage!

I will be working one of the squadding tables (most likely Plates), please introduce yourself!

Ed

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Depending on your magazine situation I'd suggest knocking out all the divisions you can while you are at the line of fire.

Otherwise, going back and forth really can add a lot of time to your day.

When I was doing 4 divisions I had 16 magazines, and I was out of there before lunch.

I'd do a stage, shoot through 16 magazines (4 divisions for that stage) step off the line, reload then repeat.........

When I'm doing 8 divisions I basically do them same, but shoot through 4 complete divisions then do lunch in between, regroup self, and finish off the day.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
8 divisions in one day ? Good lord that's a lot of shooting (y)
The first time I tried that someone was watching over me. On the very last round, of my very last stage, of my very last relay my support hand cramped up and I couldn't move it.

I since try to keep up with grip strength exercises, and pace myself between stages and stretch my hands incrementally.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Get 10 mags per division and the 10mag pouch from Glock OEM or FSDC available on Amazon.
With the COVID and ammo crunch on attendance, I've shot 8 divisions and been done by 1130-12 in one day for last year's matches.

If you're shooting with a partner, usually you can stagger your entries so that you can both shoot all at once while still complying with the no-more-than-4-at-a-time rule. Or do the multigun bay.

·
Hilljack
2,855 Posts
Get 10 mags per division and the 10mag pouch from Glock OEM or FSDC available on Amazon.
With the COVID and ammo crunch on attendance, I've shot 8 divisions and been done by 1130-12 in one day for last year's matches.

If you're shooting with a partner, usually you can stagger your entries so that you can both shoot all at once while still complying with the no-more-than-4-at-a-time rule. Or do the multigun bay.

I remember back about 5 years ago I shot 3 divisions and the wife shot her 2, then I came back to shoot 2 more. Shooter behind us got really p****ed because we were together. Moral of my story, shoot 3-4 then come back after another shooter,. Ignore the idgits.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I remember back about 5 years ago I shot 3 divisions and the wife shot her 2, then I came back to shoot 2 more. Shooter behind us got really p****ed because we were together. Moral of my story, shoot 3-4 then come back after another shooter,. Ignore the idgits.
I've been the idiot before. Once I figured out the queuing system GSSF uses, I now know how to go as fast as possible (or at my chosen pace) through the match.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts