First time with WSF in G34 and MG. Any changes I should make?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by YamaLink, Mar 31, 2010.

1. YamaLink

YamaLink

First outting with the G34 loaded with MG 124 fmj, WSF at 5.0, federal primers, mixed brass. OAL was about 1.130, using Lee 4-die set with crimper in the 4th station; OAL had slight variations in Dillon 550b.

Nice shooting in terms of recoil and accuracy. Clean. Ejection was about 3 to 4 feet.

Just made the switch from Berry's 124 rn copper plated, Accurate #2, cci and mixed brass at around 1.123.

Question: is this what I should settle on this being my IDPA (I'm a newbie shooting local) or would 4.9 be better some way or going 5.1?

I know I should make a batch and try but thought I'd ask just for general knowledge. Don't have a chrono and admittedly the shooter has more affect on overall target hits (dry firing regularly) than minute variations in reloads. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

I just ordered 8# of WSF to try out myself for 9mm, 40SW, and 10mm. Can't wait until it gets here. I too shoot the MG 124gr CMJ in 9mm, in the past as recommended I always start low and work up slowly. I use the same 1.130 OAL as you for that bullet in my glocks and it has worked fine. As far as the load, I always make batches of enough to fill one magazine in whichever gun I'm shooting and go up in increments of 0.2grs. Make a few batches and see what works best for you. If it shoots accurate where it is, and your getting the 3-4 ft ejection then I'd say it's a good load.

Just my $0.02
    :wavey:

3. D. Manley

D. Manley

Should be a very nice load. I shoot 5.3 grains under a 115 grain and it's both accurate and comfortable load. You're right in the middle of the load range for the 124's so if you want to experiment a bit to "fine tune" the load, go for it.

4. fredj338

fredj338

I shoot 5.1gr under a RP 124grJHP, full power load, about 1150fps (have to dbl check vel when I get home). If you want a softger load, drop the charge until you get the level you want. I choose to shoot full power ammo, I am no gamer.:supergrin: