Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
26,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Good job. Ready to launch at 4:30am!!!
Yea, my new gym finally is open 24 hrs. You just put a code into the cell phone and it unlocks the front door.

Reactions: BradD

·
Registered
26,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Decided to drop the bench press and do pushups when I can.

·
Registered
26,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Decided to drop the bench press and do pushups when I can.

·
Registered
26,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Friday Oct 9, 2020

Dips on machine 2X8
Squats 150Lbs 3X5 Very tough. Maybe add 5lbs
Deads 195Lbs 1X5 Tough. Time to start using chalk .

Decided to weight train only twice a week instead of 3X. Need the recovery time.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Friday Oct 9, 2020

Dips on machine 2X8
Squats 150Lbs 3X5 Very tough. Maybe add 5lbs
Deads 195Lbs 1X5 Tough. Time to start using chalk .

Decided to weight train only twice a week instead of 3X. Need the recovery time.
We both strength train, but the workout is entirely different. I separate my workout into “pushing”; Pecs (like dumbbell bench press), Triceps; like Seated Tricep Press, Dips etc., Deltoids like dumbbells front raise and Traps exercise like shrugs. I’m older (early 70s) so I stay in the range of 15-20 reps, 3 sets

Then “pulling” like lat exercises such as Cable Pull Low, dumbell bentover row etc, then biceps like Concentration Curls, Hammer Curls etc., then Legs with Squats, etc.

Then I do just cardio between strength days. My workout is between 35-45 minutes.

My goal is endurance, muscle tone and maintain strength.

What is your goal?

I’ve changed my routine several times over the years so I’m always curious about what others do, and if I can add or do something different.

·
Registered
26,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
We both strength train, but the workout is entirely different. I separate my workout into “pushing”; Pecs (like dumbbell bench press), Triceps; like Seated Tricep Press, Dips etc., Deltoids like dumbbells front raise and Traps exercise like shrugs. I’m older (early 70s) so I stay in the range of 15-20 reps, 3 sets

Then “pulling” like lat exercises such as Cable Pull Low, dumbell bentover row etc, then biceps like Concentration Curls, Hammer Curls etc., then Legs with Squats, etc.

Then I do just cardio between strength days. My workout is between 35-45 minutes.

My goal is endurance, muscle tone and maintain strength.

What is your goal?

I’ve changed my routine several times over the years so I’m always curious about what others do, and if I can add or do something different.
My goal is pure strength. Also to be able to do 25 pushups by the end of 2020. That's why I'm doing dips instead of bench presses.

Strength goal is Deadlift 1X5 315 lbs. Squal 300Lbs

Slowly. Last night's workout was too much. I was at about 95% of effort for the deadlift when it should be 85% max.

It looks like you're doing more of a Body Building routine by hitting the same muscle groups with different exercises during the same workout.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My goal is pure strength. Also to be able to do 25 pushups by the end of 2020. That's why I'm doing dips instead of bench presses.

Strength goal is Deadlift 1X5 315 lbs. Squal 300Lbs

Slowly. Last night's workout was too much. I was at about 95% of effort for the deadlift when it should be 85% max.

It looks like you're doing more of a Body Building routine by hitting the same muscle groups with different exercises during the same workout.
Thanks for the explanation. You're right about my workout. When I was younger I usually did three exercises per muscle group. Now that I'm older, it's down to two.

Re: doing dips, I used to do them on the bars, but now that I work out at home I put my feet up on one bench and hands on the other, then lower my body and raise it to the starting position. Not as hard as the other dips, but again, higher reps.

Re: pushups, I did a pushup test a few months ago using a chart by age that I found somewhere, Need to see it I can dig it up. I also do pushups with my feet on an exercise ball instead of dumbbell bench presses just for variety.

Good luck hitting your goal.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Also found “strengthlevel.com” Input your age, weight and type of lift; bench press, curl, etc. and it compares your current ORM or weight used, number of reps to failure to hundreds of thousands of others

I rate intermediate compared to others in my age group and strength. Don’t think I’ll ever reach “advanced” :)

Just found it interesting.

·
Registered
26,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Saturday, 10/17/2020

Squat 160 lbs 3X5 Good. Add 5lbs
Deadlift 215 lbs 1X5 Dreadfull. Last rep bad form. Repeat

Both lifts were post cancer personal records.

Reactions: oldmick

·
Registered
26,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Dang it. Hurt my back 2 weeks ago picking up an envelope so I have to reset weights. Listening to a Starting Strength coach who is also a PhD in Physical Therapy. Most of the pain is gone now.

·
Registered
26,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Jan 15, 2021

First workout since Dec 11

OHP
Squats
Deads.

I'm dead tired now. Good stuff. Still have to work 10pm-6am tonight.

Reactions: BradD

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Jan 15, 2021

First workout since Dec 11

OHP
Squats
Deads.

I'm dead tired now. Good stuff. Still have to work 10pm-6am tonight.
Feels like I’ve been lazy through the holidays but looking back I’m still averaging at least 3 days a week.

I plan to work out every day, but stuff just seems to get in the way. And it’s not like I have a full calendar or anything. :)

Sent from my iPad using Glock Talk mobile app

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Feels like I’ve been lazy through the holidays but looking back I’m still averaging at least 3 days a week.

I plan to work out every day, but stuff just seems to get in the way. And it’s not like I have a full calendar or anything. :)

When I get like that, I resort to early morning workouts.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I’m also better if I get it done early in the day. Past noon and it probably won’ happen.

Funny, I used to work out at lunch or after work, but since I retired... “not no more”. Or maybe since I’m a little older. :)

I typically try to work out later in the day after eating a couple of times. My scores are substantially better when I exercise later.

When I miss workouts due to life getting in the way -- "Past noon and it probably won't happen" like you said -- I'll resort to doing them first thing in the morning just to make darn sure they get done.

·
Registered
26,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Another good workout.

OHP
Squats
Deads

·
Registered
26,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)