Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
#1 Gone through cancer surgery, chemo, corrective abdominal surgery, and uncontrolled blood sugars. Not to mention two auto accidents with both cars totaled. However, I still have my rugged good looks and charming personality. ;) Time to take my life back.

Tueday, 8/13/2019

OHP Bar only 2X4
Squat Bar only 2X5 Add 10-20lbs.
Deads 90 Lbs 1X5 Add 10 Lbs

Started using a lifting belt as the surgeon suggested. Still getting used to it. It needs to be tighter.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Go slow. Overdoing it can cause muscle damage and lead to kidney problems.

Rhabdomyolysis is a serious syndrome due to a direct or indirect muscle injury. It results from the death of muscle fibers and release of their contents into the bloodstream. This can lead to serious complications such as renal (kidney) failure. This means the kidneys cannot remove waste and concentrated urine.Mar 13, 2019
Rhabdomyolysis: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments - WebMD

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/rhabdomyolysis-symptoms-causes-treatments

muscle tissue breakdown results in the release of a protein (myoglobin) into the blood. Myoglobin can damage the kidneys.
Symptoms include dark, reddish urine, a decreased amount of urine, weakness, and muscle aches.
Early treatment with aggressive fluid replacement reduces the risk of kidney damage.

·
Registered
15,903 Posts
Glad to hear you taking care of you

Reactions: bdcochran

·
Registered
999 Posts
Get on a supplement called CoQ 10. Its a validated recovery supplement. We use it to combat the myalgia side effects in people on statins, the cholesterol lowering drugs.

People over about 35 lack enough of this to foster good muscle recovery after exercise.

Buy 200mg tablets, take one each evening.

·
Registered
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saturday, Aug 17, 2019

Squats 3X5 65Lbs Add 10-20 lbs
Bench 2X5 50Lbs Add 5-10Lbs

Short workout day. Had the damn flu this week. Still getting used to using a lifting belt.

·
A swamp dude
11,252 Posts
You’re an inspiration, you tough SOB!!! Keep on keepin on!!

Reactions: motorcycleman

·
Registered
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thursday, 8/22/2019

OHP bar 3X5 Add 2 Lbs
Squat 85 Lbs 2X5 Add 10 Lbs
Deads 105Lbs 1X5 Add 10 Lbs.

Been busy. First time this week able to get to gym. It is a slow process, for sure.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Good luck.
A board member of my local YMCA was a weight lifter. He was in his 90s. Very buff. Had been lifting since the 1930s. He was consistent and realistic so he never quit lifting.

My attitude is that I have had a good day when I complete all of my Kaiser suggested exercises. Also keep a sense of humor. I am at a dance and a woman comments to another woman, "isn't he cute?" The woman (my girlfriend) responded: "My boyfriend is always cute!" That should be your goal!

·
Registered
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sunday, August 25, 2019

Squats 3X5 85 Lbs. Add 10 bs
Bench 3X5 60 Lbs Pain in left shoulder Add 5-10 Lbs
Deads 1X5 115 Lbs Add 10 Lbs.

Moving right along...

·
Registered
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get on a supplement called CoQ 10. Its a validated recovery supplement. We use it to combat the myalgia side effects in people on statins, the cholesterol lowering drugs.

People over about 35 lack enough of this to foster good muscle recovery after exercise.

Buy 200mg tablets, take one each evening.
Who are "we"? Are you a Doctor?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
#1 Gone through cancer surgery, chemo, corrective abdominal surgery, and uncontrolled blood sugars. However, I still have my rugged good looks and charming personality. ;) Time to take my life back.

Tueday, 8/13/2019

OHP Bar only 2X4
Squat Bar only 2X5 Add 10-20lbs.
Deads 90 Lbs 1X5 Add 10 Lbs

Started using a lifting belt as the surgeon suggested. Still getting used to it. It needs to be tighter.
Just don’t go crazy. Remember every marathon begins with a single step

Reactions: Detectorist

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
It comes back fairly quickly if you just keep at it. Good luck.
This

it will hurt a few days later, but be persistent.

I suggest a push, pull, legs, rest training split (Monday push exercises, Tuesday pull exercises, Wednesday legs, Thursday rest, Friday repeat)

and pinch those shoulder blades together and arch that upper back a little to protect your shoulders with the OHP. shoulder impingement is a painful thing to experience.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Not sure anyone recommends this exact workout but I like the following:

Day 1 push and cardio (light weights/15-20 reps, 3 sets)

Day 2 cardio only

Day 3 pull, legs, cardio (same reps/sets as above)

Repeat

Combined with low carb diet, limit carbs to 45 grams per meal

That said, I’m probably much older than the OP, in my 70s

·
Registered
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Exactly. I’m enjoying the journey.
I’m 58 years old, and had never lifted a weight until I was 47. I now go 6 days a week because I can’t stay away. I’m in the best shape of my life

·
Sarcasm Inc.
16,024 Posts
If you have lifted before you know how it's supposed to feel so just take it slow and easy, I was off 16 months with 3 rotator cuff surgeries and it took a few years to get it all back

·
Registered
29,466 Posts
Enjoy it, but go slow and give your traumatized system time to remember how to regain its former exercised state of being. After my cancer surgery and chemo regimen one of my docs reminded me that my body had shifted all its energy to recovering from the trauma and healing. Now, he said it just needed a little time for the transition of returning to a good normal, including my endocrine system returning to doing its job in a healthy state of being. I was just glad to be able to return to exercising and lifting, and I took it slow. After all, why slow the return by creating injury?

Glad to hear you're starting to run down the recovery road. :) Don't stumble or trip yourself. Slow and methodical. The body will remember how it used to feel, and wants to feel again. Help it along.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts