close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

first time using tarsal glands...success!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by punkture, Jan 8, 2006.

1. punkture

punkture

my hunting buddy and i (per the advice from one of his dad's old friends) removed the tarsal glands from the buck he killed last weekend that i posted. we froze them in a ziplock bag with some cotton balls. we were told for this to be useful, use them at another location, as far away as possible. this weekend, we took them to another new spot that we just started hunting this year that is about 15 miles from where he killed the buck. we walked a good 2 miles back in the woods where we had been squirrel hunting earlier in the year and had seen deer sign galore. he climbed a tree and i walked another quarter mile or so across a small creek and found a nice tall oak to climb. along the way, i dropped a cotton ball before and after the creek and another cotton ball in a fresh scrape. i was out of cotton balls so in another larger scrape i just left the ziplock bag. we got a late start so it was a bit after 8:30 before i was 40' up a tree ready to hunt.

at exactly 9:20, i saw a deer off in the distance RIGHT where i put the ziplock bag. his nose never left the ground, but he would never actually stand broadside or look in my direction so i could see what he was packing. he was heading toward a thicket and i didn't want to pass him up, although i should have. one 150gr. core-lokt 7mm rem mag round later, there was meat on the ground. about 5 minutes later, i heard my buddy shoot. i waited a half hour or so and climbed down. uh oh, count em. one...two...points. my luck! come to find out, one of my dad's friends took a decent buck about 10 minutes before i did about a half mile from where i was (he was hunting from his tailgate. this is the 5th deer this season he has taken like that. either he is one lucky guy, or i hunt way too hard! my buddy met up with me and said that he had some rifle trouble and ended up missing one of two does he was watching feed around his stand.

i headed out of the woods to dress the deer and grab some lunch. back to the woods we went. we scouted the other side of a powerline for about an hour or so and decided to go back where we had hunted that morning. i climbed a pine tree overlooking the same creek where i dropped the cotton balls. we had a really late start. i was settled about 30' in the air at 4:15. i have a tendency to start looking through my scope at 5:30 or so. if i can't see any more, i'll either sit there just to see what i can see or hear what i can hear or i'll climb down. just as i was about to climb down, i heard what i thought was another squirrel (i counted 2 dozen all afternoon). i squinted and realized, "hey, thats no squirrel." i looked through my scope and saw brown movement. it was definitely a deer, but his head was behind a tree the whole time. again, i need to locate my self-control. another 150gr. core-lockt soft point later and i had to start planning on who was going to have to start storing meat for me. :)

since my hunting buddy only uses a .54cal percussion cap muzzle loader, he'll shoot instictively by moonlight until 5:45-6 before climbing down. i knew he'd want to stay in the tree for a while, so i waited until it was black out. i climbed down and made my way over to the deer. firstly, i'd like to say that he was no more than 20 yards from that ziplock bag, making a straight line to it. this time it was a larger deer, but...another spike. i feel bad enough about this already, so don't give me a hard time...or give me a hard time, i'm sure i've heard the worst of it already. my buddy met up with me and said he heard a deer right below his stand, maybe 10 yards away, but never could see it, so didn't get a shot. we walked over to my deer, that had been dead for over 30 minutes. his heart was still beating. we have both been hunting all our lives and had neither seen anything like this. i'd like to say that it was either nerves or air being forced out of the lungs, but i felt the heart area and there was a pulse. mind you, half his lungs and heart were blown out the other side, but it was a strange occurance indeed.

in the end, i'd like to say that the tarsal gland method works, or at least it worked for me twice in one day. i took the glands from my dad's friend's buck and from the larger of my two bucks so we can use them next weekend back on the land where the first set of tarsal glands came from. later that night, we made steaks from the inner loins of my larger buck and today i've made two batches of jerky from HQ meat.

we were going to head back to the woods today, but it was 73 and you know what that means! bowfishing! today was a gorgeous day on the water.

here's deer #1:

2. punkture

punkture

3. punkture

punkture

4. punkture

punkture

the buck my dad's friend took from the road

5. noway

noway

Do a follow up post after your next hunt and let us know the next out come. My luck with intoduction of scents hasn't been to good when it comes to deer.

btw: nice pictures of them bucks ;)

6. punkture

punkture

will do. i'm hoping to have a chance to get in the woods next saturday. the guy that was telling us about the tarsal glands method swears by it. he has what should be considered an illegal number of monster bucks mounted that were mostly killed by doing what we did. i've never tried scents before and could care less to try any store-bought crap, but if cutting the tarsal glands off a buck i kill and using them in a different location works, i'll definitely give it a try.

7. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I haven't had too much luck with the store bought deer lure scents either and believe me I have wasted more than my fair share on the junk.

I've had a couple of close calls but I think overall alot of the store bought scents probably hurt more than they help.

The real deal is much better IMHO.

There are a couple of very busy deer processing centers in my area that always have a buck or 3 hanging. If you know how to buddy up to the processor, you can get an almost unlimited supply of tarsal glands for free (or for say the low low price of a bottle of Gentleman Jack). ;)

8. noway

noway

A good question would be how long can you keep or store/freeze the gland and will the scent stay? My dad swears that the scent will eliminate itself on a dead deer after time or spoil. If you could repeat the above using glands from this season into next season, that would be very interesting. Heck if this does work, I might look at harvest tarsal glands as a hobby ;)

It would be cool to kill a buck in one location and introduce the tarsal gland into anther. Since I hunt nmainly 2zones during our gun season it might be something to look at.

9. punkture

punkture

i'm planning on freezing some after this season to see how well they keep, but the guy from whom we picked up on doing this claims it will stay fresh for a year in the freezer.

10. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

And I've found scents , used sparingly, work well. Never tried the tarsal glands though. But have heard other guys mention that they DO work.
    The whitetail rut here in MT is usually the week of Thanksgiving. And Tinks 69 deer lure works well to lure in curious bucks. Though generally the bucks lured in are younger ones though I have pulled in a few really good ones.

The meuleys in rut don't seem to care about scents. At least In my experience anyway. though I'm not a dedicated muley hunter only whitetails.

This guy came to check a spot in a very large irrigated hayfield where I had dropped some scent. Scents DO work.

FN in MT

11. Sharker

Sharker

I drag tarsal glands in Maine, and while I havent shot any while doing it, I have seen tracks on top of mine.
    Heres one for you, my uncle takes his wifes USED tampons, and puts them out. Swears by it. I personally dont need deer that bad.

12. GlockJD

GlockJD

wish I lived back east, we get one deer a season in AZ and its mostly all antlered only. Getting harder and harder to fill tags too

13. punkture

punkture

i just put my hands on four tarsal glands in my freezer and it made me think about this post from way back when. as hunting season nears, the days seem to drag. one week from tomorrow, i'll be in a tree with bow in hand. the anticipation is a killer.

14. noway

noway

You want to ship some tarsal gands back and forth? ;)

No seriously I have a friend 300miles away that has promise to bring me a fresh tarsal gland when he kills his 1st doe/buck in his zone. I plan on doing the same if I should ever get a doe/buck. Right now times are tough and hot.

15. punkture

punkture

don't think i'm not past it. i'd hate to send these nearly year old version, but lemme get one under the belt and i'll get back to you. bow season opens here this coming saturday (sept 30).