Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my friend's cabin above Enterprise, Oregon and we went shooting my new Glock -38 and other guns at targets we set up in a clearing in the woods. I didn't have much success hitting the targets or even figuring out where the rounds were going on the shoot-n-c targets. But I did about the same shooting his .45 ACP Para Ordnance gun. I guess I'm not familiar with some semi-automatic pistols.

I did great with my .22 Ruger MK3 pistol (also semi-automatic) and also with his .44 magnum revolver. I shot it once with a .44 special and then with a .44 magnum bullet.

Whew, that was like a .30 caliber magnum rifle going off - but I was close to the bullseye with that pistol on all rounds fired (I also have a Ruger .357 revolver - well other guns too).

I guess I need to practice with the Glock (and I have the Lasermax and new tritium sights on it too).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maybe you need to get used to using polymer frame guns, they deliver a different recoil than standard guns. Polymer frames are the future and there for you just have to practice abit more with them.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
^ for sure!
Since you did well with the .44 you could be anticipating the same type of recoil with the G38 adn have a problem with the lighter trigger. Keep practicing you wil improve.

·
20,437 Posts
You're a male so it could not possibly be you. Send me your defective Glock and I will send you $25.00.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You will get used to it. The first semi auto I bought was a G23. Mainly because they had just came out and everyone was buying one. My shots were terrrible at first. Over time they got better.

·
Registered
410 Posts
start closer than work your way out..I've started some shooters at 5 yards.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yeah as others' have said, practice and practice. Work on your trigger and grip.

I've just recently gotten a glock 38 but fired it before hand and liked it a lot. As accurate as any other glock I've shot from 21feet to 15yards. Less recoil than other subcompact/compact 45's I've shot or own and is my CCW.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It doesn't matter what type of sights or lasers you have on your Glock. It is your trigger control. That is what causes about 95% of poor shooting. You could have a perfect sight picture....but if you jerk or slap the trigger...you're gonna miss.

Practice the basics. Get a good grip and use a nice steady trigger PULL and follow through (hold the trigger to the rear even after the shot is fired).

Take your time. Also practice a lot of dry firing.

Good luck.

·
Private side
11,793 Posts
Maybe you need to get used to using polymer frame guns, they deliver a different recoil than standard guns. Polymer frames are the future and there for you just have to practice abit more with them.
What does recoil have to do with the first shot?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
thats cause you don't understand the .45gap or something cause I've shot 2 inch groups at 15 yards with my 37 no laser and stock sites.
hes right, i sent u a pm on how to start out shooting yopur new g38, this gun is one of the most accurate pistols Glock makes, with a very mild recoil, do what i suggested in my npm and in a week u will be shooting your g 38 well....mike

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
I was at my friend's cabin above Enterprise, Oregon and we went shooting my new Glock -38 and other guns at targets we set up in a clearing in the woods. I didn't have much success hitting the targets or even figuring out where the rounds were going on the shoot-n-c targets. But I did about the same shooting his .45 ACP Para Ordnance gun. I guess I'm not familiar with some semi-automatic pistols.

I did great with my .22 Ruger MK3 pistol (also semi-automatic) and also with his .44 magnum revolver. I shot it once with a .44 special and then with a .44 magnum bullet.

Whew, that was like a .30 caliber magnum rifle going off - but I was close to the bullseye with that pistol on all rounds fired (I also have a Ruger .357 revolver - well other guns too).

I guess I need to practice with the Glock (and I have the Lasermax and new tritium sights on it too).
You did badly because you were in Enterprise. Everyone I know that lives near Enterprise couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 2 feet.
Just kidding...........I have several friends in enterprise. Start shooting at closer ranges......move the target up until you have no trouble hitting it...practice than move it back at 10 foot intervals and practice more.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You did badly because you were in Enterprise. Everyone I know that lives near Enterprise couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 2 feet.
Just kidding...........I have several friends in enterprise. Start shooting at closer ranges......move the target up until you have no trouble hitting it...practice than move it back at 10 foot intervals and practice more.
That is good advise! And so you must practice regularly. Say do not shoot 400 rounds in a weekend, but 100 rounds in 4 weekends. There is a lot of good advice about shooting in Youtube.
Enjoy!!!.

·
NRA Member
791 Posts
I thought it was couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with a nuclear missile. The two hardest things for me is achieving an optimal focus on the target and my front sight while keeping both eyes open and not having the trigger pull disrupt where the shot lands. It takes practice and your muscles need to develop a memory. If you are new to shooting Glocks, you should expect to put at least 2-3 thousand rounds through at the range before your accuracy is dead on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts