Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, realizing I often carry a snubby for SD and have never fired it any way other than static range stuff, I decided to try my hand with it in an IDPA local range competition

Wanna’ know what dumb is?

Realizing my speed loaders are for my 6 round revolvers, not my 5 round snubs … only had speed strips otherwise

So … I took my old school SW Model 64-3 (stainless version of the Model 10) instead with 2 speedloaders, 2 speed strips

It was a lot of fun me, and for the guys that had a good time teasin’ me about it … “an optimistic is someone that thinks can reload a revolver in a gun fight” and etc

At one stage, I hollered “hash tag revolvers are guns too” which got a good laugh

The best laugh? Out of 19 semi auto guys shooting semi auto’s I came in 15th … I call that “not exactly sucking”

To be sure, reloading a revolver under time pressure takes some getting used to … especially with the strips, but in the first stage even with the speedloader, I was spazzing a bit. Feel more comfortable now. The trick with the speed loader is to have the gun pointed 100% down … otherwise they can bind up. Having a beveled edge on the cylinder wall entrance would help too, which mine doesn’t have

On head shots, I would spend the piece of a second to cock the hammer, which helped hit home … harder now with the new IDPA targets as hitting anywhere head no longer is 0 down, you have a circle in the head zone to hit for zero down.

Reactions: treg

·
NRA Benefactor
5,784 Posts
I have had troubles with the speed loaders hanging up sometimes. Possibly on the Hogue factory grips.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Shoot a few ICORE match's, and you will start working the bugs out. Kydex Speed Loader Carriers, If you could find some Jet Loaders they are a little smaller than Safariland Com III's in K Frame size. You will probably end up with Safariland Comp III's.
I have 3 K Suubs, a 2" DAO 64, a 3" DAO 66, and a 315 Night Guard. They are fun to shoot, and it helps to practice with what you carry.
My normal ICORE Revolvers are a 4" 686 and a 6" GP100. The 6" will not fly with IDPA.
Bob R

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had troubles with the speed loaders hanging up sometimes. Possibly on the Hogue factory grips.
Yep, that can definitely be a tradeoff, you really do want a clear "runway" for the speedloader. If you get serious about it, you can dremel off part of the grip for clearance sake

Shoot a few ICORE match's, and you will start working the bugs out. Kydex Speed Loader Carriers, If you could find some Jet Loaders they are a little smaller than Safariland Com III's in K Frame size. You will probably end up with Safariland Comp III's.
I have 3 K Suubs, a 2" DAO 64, a 3" DAO 66, and a 315 Night Guard. They are fun to shoot, and it helps to practice with what you carry.
My normal ICORE Revolvers are a 4" 686 and a 6" GP100. The 6" will not fly with IDPA.
Bob R
Cool, thanks for the tips!

Next week I'm trying my hand with an LCR, shooting it to get my BUG (back up gun) classifier. I'm at a partial handicap because of being down a round, so we'll see how I do

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing wrong with running a revolver, but you have to take the things half apart to reload them. ICORE is really the home for wheel gunners.
LOL, that bad, eh?

Revolvers are about all I shoot but I quit IDPA years ago.
I'm giving this a whirl as I do actually carry a snub at times, and realized all I've ever done with it is the usual static/range stuff. Plus, it's just a fun diversion and I figure the extra trigger control shooting req'd in IDPA stuff will help my semi auto shooting as well.

Tonight I'm going to try 20 yards at an IDPA target in preparation for the classifer. Never shot a snub that far, could be embarrassing!

Reactions: treg

·
NRA Life Member
30,637 Posts
Here I am with my carry J Frame at an ICORE match. They do make speed loaders for 5 shot revolvers. Even though it is only 5 shot and targets out to 25 yards; I have never come in DFL. I run it every once in a while for practice.

Soil Tree Community Adaptation Geological phenomenon

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here I am with my carry J Frame at an ICORE match. They do make speed loaders for 5 shot revolvers. Even though it is only 5 shot and targets out to 25 yards; I have never come in DFL. I run it every once in a while for practice.

View attachment 385431
LoL! Congrats to ya!

I was purty pleased that I was not "DFL" shooting my 6 shot SW 64-4 in an IDPA a week or so ago. Actually finished 15 out of 19

I'll be shooting my LCR 5 shot in an upcoming classifier, so tonight I practiced the 20 yard shots I'll be doing. Wasn't pretty, but I didn't miss the IDPA target either. Did some of the closer range head shot practice too, I'll be -1 on those, which I'm totally ok with

I now have the "5 Star" brand 5 shot speed loaders, 3 of them, so I'm set. Are those the ones you use? I've not seen any others out there.

Thanks for posting the pic ... you look and sound like a dangerous man to me ;-) !

·
NRA Life Member
30,637 Posts
LoL! Congrats to ya!

I was purty pleased that I was not "DFL" shooting my 6 shot SW 64-4 in an IDPA a week or so ago. Actually finished 15 out of 19

I'll be shooting my LCR 5 shot in an upcoming classifier, so tonight I practiced the 20 yard shots I'll be doing. Wasn't pretty, but I didn't miss the IDPA target either. Did some of the closer range head shot practice too, I'll be -1 on those, which I'm totally ok with

I now have the "5 Star" brand 5 shot speed loaders, 3 of them, so I'm set. Are those the ones you use? I've not seen any others out there.

Thanks for posting the pic ... you look and sound like a dangerous man to me ;-) !

I use the HKS in the 442.

Of course, you will be at a severe disadvantage in the Classifier with a five shot revolver, but you probably know that.

Good luck.

Reactions: PattonWasRight

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Of course, you will be at a severe disadvantage in the Classifier with a five shot revolver, but you probably know that.

Good luck.
Gheez, I missed that option. Just researched and shows they're a bit iffy on the LCR, so now I feel better about paying more than double for the 5 Stars?

Yep, I'll have an instant handicapped with a 5 shot, which I like, means I'll have to shoot that much better :)

My goal is to classify in Marksman with it ... I do believe it's not a crazy goal

·
NRA Life Member
30,637 Posts
Gheez, I missed that option. Just researched and shows they're a bit iffy on the LCR, so now I feel better about paying more than double for the 5 Stars?

Yep, I'll have an instant handicapped with a 5 shot, which I like, means I'll have to shoot that much better :)

My goal is to classify in Marksman with it ... I do believe it's not a crazy goal

Again , Good Luck

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, shot my LSR snubbie 5 shot revolver in IDPA and whoa unto thee, I did finish Dead. F'in. Last!

No matter, it was fun, and fun having everyone raz me. And good practice as I do carry a snub with some frequency

And hey, I made my shots ... my tormentors were a bit impressed that I was able to make body hits at 20 yards shooting at a good pace, double action only, and without any misses

Having a 5 shot revolver is def a handicap as every string req'd an extra reload

·
NRA Life Member
30,637 Posts

Good luck.

I am not one to say " I told you so ", but. . . . . .

It's good practice though; that's why I use one in a match every once in a while.

Reactions: PattonWasRight

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not one to say " I told you so ", but. . . . . .

It's good practice though; that's why I use one in a match every once in a while.
And I'll continue to do the same!

Reactions: willie_pete

·
Registered
445 Posts
I saw 5 Star reloaders mentioned above. Something to keep in mind, the Knob to release the ammunition turn the opposite direction of the HKS speed loaders. It can be a problem trying to use both brands. I have loads of HKS Speedloaders mainly for Load and Make ready. With some revolvers, and I believe the Ruger LCR is one of them, 5-Star is the only one made for the application. Who ever owns the company making the HKS Speedloaders, they do not seem to be interested in making any new models.

Bob R

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw 5 Star reloaders mentioned above. Something to keep in mind, the Knob to release the ammunition turn the opposite direction of the HKS speed loaders. It can be a problem trying to use both brands. I have loads of HKS Speedloaders mainly for Load and Make ready. With some revolvers, and I believe the Ruger LCR is one of them, 5-Star is the only one made for the application. Who ever owns the company making the HKS Speedloaders, they do not seem to be interested in making any new models.

Bob R
Yes, the 5 Stars threw me off enough that I took a sharpie and marked direction arrows on them! The 5 Stars work with both my LCR and SW 642, so that's good. Someone did mention that HKS does make for the LCR but I missed that when I was googling about

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.