close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First time shooter

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by embee, Jun 19, 2002.

1. embee

embee Aging member

I am headed over to Indianapolis on the 29th to compete in my first GSSF match. I've tried to soak up as much about the matches on this site, the FAQ site and the sportshooter site but some questions remain.

… Mainly: is this really a two-day event? By that I mean is necessary to stick around for both days or can all the shooting be done on Saturday then go home and wait for the results?

MB

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

You can shoot all the event in about 3 hours. You can choose either Sat/Sun. Being the first time I assume you would be shooting only a couple events. Most matches 4 is the max. I have gone to some and shot 4 events and be done in 3 hours. Just remember to check in, get your score sheets, seperate them by stages(Plates,5 to Glock and Glock M) and get them distributed to ALL the stages FIRST thing. Then you can get your equipment and shoot the stages in any order you choose.

Good luck and by all means "Have Fun".:) :) :) :) :)

3. embee

embee Aging member

Don, thanks for the info. That will save me the cost of staying overnight.

Right now I have only one Glock, a 19. I do qualify for Senior but it looks like I will shoot each stage once and that's it.

Thanks for the tip on the paperwork. I'll want to watch a few competitors at each stage but then I'll be ready to try my hand at it.

MB

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Embee,

Your G19 is eligible for Am/Civ, Competition and Stockmeister categories. I suggest that since this is your first GSSF match, enter Am/Civ as a Senior. Bring 150 rounds of ammo. If there is a practice plate stage, take advantage of the opportunity.

5. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Embee,

Welcome to GT/GSSF! If you have any questions when you get to the match, talk to the GSSF Match Director or one of the experienced RO's at the match.

Explain to each RO that you encounter (when handing your paperwork in at each stage / Course Of Fire and when you step up to the table to shoot), that you are a NEW Shooter and that this is your first GSSF match.

This will usually cue the RO into explaining things more clearly and to be more attentive to your needs. They will in no way make you feel like you are 'less' than any other shooter because you cued them in that this is your first GSSF match... it will just make them more sensitive to your needs as a first time shooter.

When I RO, if I don't recognize the shooter, I try to remember to ask the shooter if he/she has shot this particular COF before... this gives me a chance to understand what level to operate at as an RO explaining instructions before and after each string of fire. Of course, this has the risk of annoying or offending experienced shooters but that is not my intent.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

Regards,
    Frank

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Embee...welcome I will be there Saturday at 8:45 am....you will want to attend a video for orientation if this is your first match...this takes about 30 minutes. Last year they did not have any place to practice or shoot side matches.. the trick is to pass all your sheets to the correct stage and then wait to be called...Last year I arrived at 8:45 am shot my first stage at 9:45( had a rain delay) and ended my match....( I shot two categories) at 11:30am....all the stages are protected from the weather but would suggest a raincoat to and from each stage....you will enjoy the facility because everything is spaced close and alot of walking is not needed.GoodLuck;f

7. jeremy54b

jeremy54b Merely Here...

I am really apprehensive about starting to shoot GSSF. I do not know what to expect, or what kind of competition will be there. The people at the range want to have me shoot GSSF with them ie. sponsored in a way (really just wearing a tee shirt;)) But to be honest, I am afraid I will show up and just totally get smoked by all the good shooters:) Can anyone give me some anecdotes or experiences? Thanks. jeremy

8. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Jeremy...welcome I was a new shooter two years ago and I did not have a sponsor nor a mentor and had never shot in any competition. The people that I have watched at the matches (3) were people like you and I....very normal looking and very friendly and accomodating... I have totally enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere that the Matches personify....you will not feel out of place nor uncomfortable....you will have assistance in any questions that you may have by the range officers and any past GSSF shooter by just asking, so relax , take that first step and enjoy GSSF;f ;f ;f

9. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

What Festus said is true. Because of my job 24/7, I take the matches as a mini vacation. I arrive the night before I shoot. The wife and

I get a good meal in and just visit. Get up the day we shoot and after the competition we drive home.

In all I find it very relaxing. There is no rush to get there, get it over with, and get home. I don't get to smell many roses so I linger when I can.

Bob

10. THE VOID

THE VOID

Don't sweat it. GSSF is all about fun and friends. Go and shoot. You will not be intimidated. Nervous maybe. But no reason to be. I'll bet my nickel that you go home thinking "I can't wait to do that again!" Be warned, afterwards you will be spending a lot more time checking this forum. Remember to spend some time with the family between Glocktalk fixes.

You will fit right in at the match, unless you are good looking. If you are "not so handsome" you will blend right in!!!!;f ;e You'll see.

Shoot slow and enjoy!

Dayton

11. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

After turning all the score sheets in, go to each of the stages and watch a few shooters. Carry a lightweight folding chair and sit back and wait your turn at the 5 to Glock. Since you will have time, after each shooter finishes take the opportunity to help tape the targets. This way you will see that not everyone puts them in the X ring. Once you fire that first shot, you will forget that others are watching. After you fire your 3 rounds here you will walk with the RO and count your misses while people around you are taping the targets. I'm new too and just finished my second match. You will find that the GSSF people and the other shooters are very helpful. Enjoy, it's addictive.

Dwaine

12. embee

embee Aging member

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Using the tips you provided really helped me with the procedure of the match. Now I have to improve my basic marksmanship skills.

Thanks again for the help, it did make a difference.

MB