GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I always see the OC guy be ause I pay attention.
You and me both. Many, if not most people don't although probably more do than I suspect.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Well sometimes. Sometimes it’s the only way to be legal. I prefer concealed. CO does not recognize ANY other states CCWP (that I am aware of, can get) so my options are 1. leave it in truck. “Excuse me, I need to grab something from my truck before you assault me”. 2. Go everywhere unarmed. 3. Open carry. (Except Denver, Boulder) where guns jump out of holsters and fire without warning....
So mainly 1. But remote areas, when on Mostly private Property... open/concealed. (My understanding on property owned, with permission I can be concealed even here) but must expose if on public roads....
As someone else has pointed out CO does recognize resident permits from many other states, but for residents of those states CO doesn't recognize OC is the only way to be legal. An even better example is OR which recognizes no other state permits and only allows residents of bordering states to apply for an OR carry permit on a may issue basis. Nonresidents can only OC if they want to be legal except in certain cities which require an OR carry permit for legal OC - in those places nonresidents are basically SOL if they want to legally carry.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Here in Florida is concealed only ... no open carry permitted .
I for one , would love to have the choice of OC if I wanted it . Today it is impossible in Florida .
As per the possibility of a problem while OC , it is very hard for me to swallow the idea of someone trying to find trouble with a person carrying a gun , but it cut happen ...there are many nuts out there .
Not entirely true. OC in Florida is restricted to certain activities (hunting, fishing, camping and shooting at a designated shooting facility) as well as direct nonstop travel to and from such activities.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
OC is pretty common where I live - I probably see a couple of people OCing every day. I always OC when I go hiking and generally don't bother to cover up if I have to make stops along the way for gas or food, etc. Nobody around here really cares.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not entirely true. OC in Florida is restricted to certain activities (hunting, fishing, camping and shooting at a designated shooting facility) as well as direct nonstop travel to and from such activities.
Well, I am not going to argue this , but I have never seen people that go fishing or going to the shooting range carrying OC . As a matter of fact , there are stricter rules at my shooting range (Indian River shooting range in Sebastian) that no one can get on the range property carrying a holstered firearm , it must be on a separate bag or bags , must be unloaded and without the magazine . The rifles must also be unloaded .
The only people that I have ever seen here in Florida carrying OC , are the police officers with and without uniform ,but you know that they are cops a mile away , mostly by their cars , lol...
Maybe in the cahoots swamps where you are surrounded by alligators and no one is around , it will be logic to assume that you would be carrying a pistol and possibly a rifle too as a routine ... I would do that too . I guess it would be the normal thing to do .
What I do know is that for every day carry going to normal places here in Florida , you are only allowed concealed carry .

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Well, I am not going to argue this , but I have never seen people that go fishing or going to the shooting range carrying OC . As a matter of fact , there are stricter rules at my shooting range (Indian River shooting range in Sebastian) that no one can get on the range property carrying a holstered firearm , it must be on a separate bag or bags , must be unloaded and without the magazine . The rifles must also be unloaded .
The only people that I have ever seen here in Florida carrying OC , are the police officers with and without uniform ,but you know that they are cops a mile away , mostly by their cars , lol...
Maybe in the cahoots swamps where you are surrounded by alligators and no one is around , it will be logic to assume that you would be carrying a pistol and possibly a rifle too as a routine ... I would do that too . I guess it would be the normal thing to do .
What I do know is that for every day carry going to normal places here in Florida , you are only allowed concealed carry .
Yes, a lot of ranges have strict rules about OC. Nonetheless it is not prohibited by state law. OC was actually legal in many FL counties before state preemption and was briefly legal statewide when the state went shall issue. It was swiftly restricted after a few guys in Miami were walking around like Yosemite Sam freaking certain people out. Janet Reno was the driving force behind the law restricting OC.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
I’ve been licensed to carry for almost 25 years. I conceal or open carry depending upon the circumstances. I live in ranch country. It’s acceptable in this area.

Open carry may have prevented a crime about 3 months ago while I was out fishing. I was getting set up on a public fishing dock just as it was starting to get light. I noticed a car pull up and a young male exited the vehicle with no fishing gear. I watched as he started walking quite briskly down the dock. I turned so he could see my Glock 23. At that point he did a weird “stumble/stop” and asked if the fish were biting. I told him I was just getting set up. He promptly turned around, got in his vehicle, and left.

I know the regulars that fish at this lake. He wasn’t one of them; in fact, I’ve never seen him before. Never saw him again.

Was he up to no good? Maybe. I do know of one mugging and one attempted robbery at this location.

I will never know what could have happened. To this day, I still open carry while fishing. I will continue to do so.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
I have been open carrying since May 1, 1975, I have open carried in various states and have received positive comments, never had my gun stolen and never been shot, and have never received a negative comment.
Same here. People in North central Texas have a much different view on firearms in general. Out here they are considered a “tool,” not something to fear. I’ve had several women ask what I carry and how I like it.

Ranchers probably open carry more than anyone else around here. They deal with 4 legged and no legged critters as opposed to the two legged kind.

This is a very conservative area. Nothing like your average democrat crime infested crap hole. I hope it stays that way out here.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts