First Time Open Carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by robhic, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Bradley T

Bradley T

If the firearm and holster are covered by a garment, it's still concealed, and it's far more comfortable and faster to present. Good for you!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I was pointing out that your firearms rights have already been infringed. Not exercising the right to open carry gives us what we have here. **** tons of folks that poo poo the idea of open carry. If firearms owners can't even be expected to support those rights your state and federal legislators will be glad to absolve you of them with little to no pushback.

NoStress likes this.

3. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Brother, I can support a persons right to open carry while at the same time, consider the practice to be less than prudent and contrary to tactical/strategic common sense. At least when considering it as a citizen in public.

tallTexasdude and fredj338 like this.
  4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I don't doubt that. The problem is very few think beyond tactical and rarely reverts to common sense.

As in my example of backpacking or in the back country.

They immediately default to the, "you'll be the first person shot" mythology.

There is a time and place for everything.

youngde811 likes this.
  5. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Well sometimes. Sometimes it’s the only way to be legal. I prefer concealed. CO does not recognize ANY other states CCWP (that I am aware of, can get) so my options are 1. leave it in truck. “Excuse me, I need to grab something from my truck before you assault me”. 2. Go everywhere unarmed. 3. Open carry. (Except Denver, Boulder) where guns jump out of holsters and fire without warning....
    So mainly 1. But remote areas, when on Mostly private Property... open/concealed. (My understanding on property owned, with permission I can be concealed even here) but must expose if on public roads....

6. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

If you want to talk about mythology, lets start with the idea that we are going to lose all these rights that we are not regularly availing ourselves of. I mean, it makes for a good quip but thats about all it is.

I am a person who prefers more liberty as opposed to less. I have always supported the right to open carry and will continue to do so. There are plenty of benefits by keeping such a right on the books. It doesnt mean I will avail myself of that particular freedom or that I think its going to keep me safer than CC, I dont. It is simply good to know that if I accidentally flub my concealed carry effort, its not automatically a crime. Its also convenient to not have to conceal my handgun while in the woods or in circumstances where I am not expected to encounter many people.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    NoStress likes this.
  7. fredj338

fredj338

Rural v urban is a dff cnsidetation.

8. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

It's been legal around here for a long time. Concealed had some hiccups around 3 yrs ago (the 51% food to alcohol sales BS) but they got it ironed out as to where you could CC and it's been good since. True Open Carry might be OK for some but I have, so far, resisted ever doing it. Loss of surprise, a gun-grab, feel like a "shoot me first!" target on my back and just not letting anyone know I am carrying makes a world of sense to me.

hardluk1 likes this.
  9. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

OBW is quite doable and undetectable as long as you buy a good holster and dress appropriately.

Orive 8 likes this.
  10. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

This.

11. bubbaturbo

bubbaturbo

On handgunlaw, it looks like Colorado honors 33 other state permits. Is that what you're talking about?

12. Scott1970

Scott1970

That’s true. I’ve had problems on several occasions while open carrying.

tallTexasdude likes this.
  13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I should have been clearer. That I claiming MN as my primary residence, can legally get. I could kinda claim CO as residence, but not really, don’t want to...

14. Jerry C

Jerry C Millennium Member

I have been open carrying since May 1, 1975, I have open carried in various states and have received positive comments, never had my gun stolen and never been shot, and have never received a negative comment.

15. josey

josey

Here in Florida is concealed only ... no open carry permitted .
    I for one , would love to have the choice of OC if I wanted it . Today it is impossible in Florida .
    As per the possibility of a problem while OC , it is very hard for me to swallow the idea of someone trying to find trouble with a person carrying a gun , but it cut happen ...there are many nuts out there .

tallTexasdude likes this.
  16. Jerry C

Jerry C Millennium Member

I’m in florida now and I have been open carrying all day (fishing)

17. tallTexasdude

tallTexasdude

Lots of anti-gun fanatics who are looking for confrontation.

18. youngde811

youngde811

Yup. One loses the tactical advantage and becomes target number one. IWB always for me.

Cheers

19. glockguns

glockguns

I live in an Open Carry State. The last thing I want is anyone knowing I'm carrying a firearm.

youngde811 likes this.
  20. josey

josey

I stopped carrying IWB because it is definitely uncomfortable and hot here in Florida .
    I switched to OWB , which is way more comfortable and it is ok , but I need to be a little bit more aware of printing , that `s all .