First Time Glocker Question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jst1mr, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Jst1mr

Jst1mr

Experienced handgunner but new to Glock. Started out my Glock experience with a brand new Gen 4 Glock 40 (10mm, MOS, 6" longslide). Can't beat the smackdown of full house 10mm loads AND 15+1 capacity, right? Intent is to make this a deer hunter with the addition of a good optic, and for it to to ride along most anytime as a means of discouraging black bears, which we rub elbows with regularly in this neck of the woods. Love steel and wood, but hey - those old revolvers are becoming seriously valuable...why subject them to daily wear and tear?
    I'm one of those guys - I like to see how things work as well as maintain them with a vengeance.(NOT really a rookie, I do this with S&W's, Sigs, Kimber's, CZ's, Ruger's, etc) I got this G40 apart, and it seriously did NOT want to go back together! Align the slide with the rails, push together, and WHAM...the slide would come to a hard stop, barely 1/8" from clicking home - mister, that thing might as well have come up against a brick wall....frustration,sweat, and embarrassment...I thought these things were simple and efficient!? I could not find the issue - what was stopping the slide? I somehow stumbled upon the solution - that the trigger had to be pulled back forward, then things glided together easily. What gives - can someone explain the issue? Is this typical of any/all Glock's?

2. HGxyz

HGxyz

Did you take it apart more than field stripping? Is the magazine out of the gun when you remove and replace the slide?

3. Jst1mr

Jst1mr

Basic field strip only as per manual, magazine is out. I heard that this may be something possibly unique to the 10mm models?? I should add that now that I know of pulling the trigger back forward, it is no problem at all...mainly just curious. PS This thing is a beast - I love it!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  4. abcomputin

abcomputin

It is not unique to the 10mm models, it is unique to gen 4 models (not all, but about a 50 50 chance). You can either pull the trigger forward, or you can hold the slide pointing down, press the firing pin safety and let the firing pin slide forward/down. Either method will allow the slide to go back on "normally". It's something that will slowly get better in due time.

Jst1mr likes this.
  5. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

Ditto, it's the firing pin block hitting the ramp on the trigger bar. Gen4 guns have a little bump on the side of the ramp that holds it in the center of the firing pin block(at least that's why they say it's there) and sometimes that makes it hard to put the gun back together. There was a video on YouTube of a guy carefully removing the little bump so it basically became like the Gen3 and earlier part and BINGO, no more issues with putting the gun back together. Sometimes you can even just polish up the bump and it'll help things along but whatever you do be careful since this is an area where a safety is located and you don't want to remove any metal from the ramp part that engages the firing pin stop.

Jst1mr likes this.
  6. Jst1mr

Jst1mr

Thanks, guys - great answers and now at least I know it isn't just me! Hadn't had so much fun since the first time I tried to put a Ruger Mk 3 .22 back together...

Steve_in_SEMich likes this.
  7. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I just pulled mine out of the safe to give it a try. Several times actually and it slides on easily. No fiddling with the trigger or anything in any position. A flag did go up when I started reading this thread. Yes, this is somewhat unique to Gen4 models, but does affect a few of the Gen3 models as well. On the Glock models with the dual recoil spring, there's a round disc at the rear of the spring where it meets with the barrel, near the chamber. If that disc is not on the step closest in to the barrel, it will catch on the frame. Take a look at your barrel or one online and you'll see what I mean about the steps. If you look at those steps with the spring out, you can see the circular cutout in the step.