close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First time glock purchase, ettiquette?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by t_m, Nov 13, 2011.

1. t_m

t_m

I'm about to buy my first semi-automatic weapon. After much searching, I've decided on the glock 19 gen 4. However, I'm concerned that the 19 I'd get from my local shop could have the old springs/ejectors etc. The guy is offering a new one for $549+tax (which is cheaper than bud's with transfer). However, do you think they'd get offended if I asked to open it up and look at the serial numbers on the spring and ejector? Does anyone know exactly what #'s I should be looking for? Thanks!

2. smitty704

smitty704

You should ask him to see the numbers first.

The ejector is: 30274
    The RSA is: 0-4-3

Either way, even if it is the old ejector and RSA, you could send it to Glock on their dime and they would have it back to you with the new parts in about 2 weeks.
    I have the new parts, it shoots great. I love mine...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

3. RTJ41

RTJ41

I believe you want the RSA that reads 0(left), 4(right), and 3 (bottom). In regards to the ejector, the new one should read "30274", rather than "336".

Funny...you and I are in the same boat. I am buying a Gen 4 G19 this weekend as well, and I really want to make sure mine will have these new changes as well! Hopefully they'll understand. :cool:

4. bentbiker

bentbiker

If they get offended, find a different dealer. OTOH, don't use the term "serial numbers" -- you want to see "part numbers". It is probably a waste of your time if the gun's serial number is before approximately SDA. According to the project here, that would put the assembly date/test-fire earlier than 10/11. Ask them what the latest/highest ser# is that they have in stock.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. t_m

t_m

Great! Thanks guys.. I feel better now plunking down that kinda of money.. I want to make sure my first glock starts a lifetime experience :thumbsup:

PS - what does "SDA" mean?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

tell him you'll take it for $475. It worked for my new 23, and this was the weekend after The Election.

7. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

t_m & RTJ41,

I bought my G19 Gen4 almost a year ago. It came with the alleged problematic parts: an 0-2 RSA & the original ejector. I shot inexpensive 115gr all the way to expensive +p+ defensive ammo with no issues.

The reason I called in for the RSA recall is because it was time to replace my RSA. Might as well get a free one.

With all the various issues owners have reported, the seemingly incessant stream of revised RSA's, and revised ejectors there is a chance you'll get one that may give you issues. If you happen to get one that gives you issues, pursue warranty diagnostic & repair with Glock.

For example:

Since installing the latest issued RSA in my G17 Gen4, it has started to throw brass at my face. I'll call Glock this week to discuss the issue.

Also

"SDA" is an example of a serial number prefix. I have a PUK serial number prefix.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

He is referring to the first three letters in the guns serial number...e.g. SDAxxx

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

With such a known problem, it would be foolish not to check. They should be fine with it. Fieldstripping does no harm.

10. t_m

t_m

Great. Thanks all.. This is my first time to this forum and I am very impressed with all the great answers. I'll let you know how things go!

11. Glock Master

Glock Master

12. John Biltz

John Biltz

A responsible seller should be happy to take it apart because he should offer to demonstrate disassembly and assembly to anyone who says he is new to the gun.

13. moishlashen

moishlashen Senile Member

Yep totally appropriate. Its your money and soon to be your gun. Congrats bud.

14. g22gen4

g22gen4

Ya any shop I deal with hasnt had a problem yet I checked out what was in my gen4 22 before I bought it, personally if they weren't willing to why would I pay them close to 600$ when so many other places around have em for the same price :)