Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So good morning gents and ladies, I just shot my G19 G5 for the first time, I picked it up last Tuesday I’m a veteran and an experienced shooter with rifles and some pistols, today while shooting the Glock for the first time ever my shots on my normal dominant side (lefty) were mediocre, It can kill as usual but it was pleasing then I decided to try cross dominant I shot righty through my left eye and I couldn’t believe it but it felt comfortable and from 10 YDs I hit a 2 inch grouping with 4 dead set bull eyes. Idk understand why this worked for the Glock I’ve never tried it before but has anyone heard of strange issues like this? Thanks -TD

·
Country Roads..
458 Posts
Welcome aboard! I shot cross eye dominant (sort of) for years (right handed, left eye) and found it to work quite well with handguns. My right eye is actually dominant, but it's a lot weaker than my left.

So, fast forward a few years to some corrective measures and then I retrained myself to use my right eye. This absolutely helped when shooting long guns but with handguns I find it no more or less comfortable than when I was aiming with my left eye. It all comes down to what works for you.

Again, welcome to the fold!

Reactions: Veesionary

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Welcome from Ohio, and thank you for your service! Been shooting pistols right handed my whole life using my left dominant eye, had served me well. I do shoot rifles and shotguns lefthanded.

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
651 Posts
Welcome from the Kansas City metro! Enjoy your time here as there is a ton of knowledge and a little bit of fun too!!

·
G43 Fanboy
2,251 Posts
Welcome to GT!
2” group at 10 yards shooting with your weak hand is pretty good. :) (I cannot shoot so well with my weak hand.)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome aboard! I shot cross eye dominant (sort of) for years (right handed, left eye) and found it to work quite well with handguns. My right eye is actually dominant, but it's a lot weaker than my left.

So, fast forward a few years to some corrective measures and then I retrained myself to use my right eye. This absolutely helped when shooting long guns but with handguns I find it no more or less comfortable than when I was aiming with my left eye. It all comes down to what works for you.

I have astigmatism in my right eye, which is my dominant eye, looking through a red dot with my right eye is a little blurry, if i aim cross eye with my left eye the dot or circle is crystal clear, will try it at the range next time out, see if i can handle shooting with my non- dominant eye.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome and thank you for your service. I shoot right handed with left eye dominant for hand guns as well. I shoot my Ar 15 using my right eye. I do have to close my left eye a little though, but it works fine that way.

·
Country Roads..
458 Posts
I have astigmatism in my right eye, which is my dominant eye, looking through a red dot with my right eye is a little blurry, if i aim cross eye with my left eye the dot or circle is crystal clear, will try it at the range next time out, see if i can handle shooting with my non- dominant eye.
Same here. A red dot looks like a big, backwards comma from my right eye. I run 1x prism scopes on my rifles to get around that. I'd love to be able to use red dots on pistols and I may try in the future.... Maybe I can try zeroing the red dot by using the center of the backwards comma....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome.
Thank you for your service.
You bring up an interesting thought. I right handed and shoot as such but my left eye is 20/25 and my right eye is 20/250. I will have to try some different ways of shooting. I also have found that my accuracy for one hand (right hand) is almost identical as shooting with both hands.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

I didn't quite get what the OP was saying exactly, but your report about aiming with your non-dominant eye is not unusual. In fact, some years ago in tactical training in some circles it was taught. At the time it was called the "Quell System". If I recall, the premise was how your brain saw, isolated and processed the information differently through the non-dominant eye vs the dominant eye. I tried googling "Quell System" and all I found were links to automatic sprinkler systems :oops:. But I remember it very clearly as I tried shooting that way... and it was different but I never trained with it and told you as much as I remember.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am Cross Eye Dominant. Right Handed Left Eye. In the Summer of 1997...in Quantico, Virginia, I was told that I would need to "correct" that...

I never did. For me it was always natural to shoot this way. Also, I was a decent enough shot that they left me alone.

One interesting thing...Even though I am Right Handed...it is more natural for me to shoot long guns Left Handed...Left Eye.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Cross dominance has NO RELEVANCE with pistol shooting. I shoot mostly right hand left eye and in my prime was a nationally ranked military team shooter. Only when you use a rifle or red dot is it potentially an issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts