close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First time for pulled pork, urban style

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Rob96, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

Well yesterday for Fathers Day, we decided to try our hand at pulled pork. We had purchased a pork shoulder that was already lightly smoked. We put the basic bbq rub on it, and indirect grilled it. We kept the temp of the grill at around 275* and kept the cast iron smoker box going with Jack Daniels wood chips. Kept it on the grill for 8 hours, pulled it and put on top of buns, and topped with Cattlemans Original BBQ Sauce. Man was it good. Even my wife, who isn't really crazy about bbq, loved it. All in all, it was very good.

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

3. noway

noway

sounds like you had alot of fun.

{We kept the temp of the grill at around 275* and kept the cast iron smoker box going with Jack Daniels wood chips. Kept it on the grill for 8 hours, }

Not quite sure about your temp & method since 275deg is kinda hig for a shoulder or butt. I hardly ever cook anything above 200degs and surely not w/ a BBQ or smoker.

Thoose jack daniel woodchips does wonder on the meat
    ;)

4. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I can actually get the temp down to 225*, and actually started out at that temp. But I realized that it wouldn't be done in time for supper.

5. noway

noway

ah...Never rush the meat cooking times.

We cook ours at 200-215deg as measured over the meat. On avg 1.5 -to- 2hrs for a pork butt to come out tasty and well done but tender. It also tastes better if we cook them and pull them from the smoker and wrap for about 1hrs before pulling or chopping the meat. You cook the meat on a lower temp and for 1.5 to 2hrs per pound , that meat will pull off the bone by hand and you can easily tear it with you fingers.

The cool thing with the offset smokers, you can add and control the heat from the offset firebox and the exhaust stack outlet and get some good tempuratures .

;c