Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/...s-drove-them-to-gun-stores-in-record-numbers/

Aaron Eaton learned how to shoot in the Army back in 2006 but holstered a pistol for the last time when he left in 2009 and took a job as a technician for a sewer company. That all changed on March 26 when the father of four walked out of an Alabama gun store with a Beretta 92FS, the same gun he handled as a military policeman at the height of the Iraq war.

"Simply put: I wanted peace of mind when it comes to the safety of my family," Eaton said.

Eaton's pistol was one of 2.3 million firearms to fly off the shelves in March, the single busiest month for gun sales ever. The Washington Free Beacon spoke to half a dozen new gun owners who purchased a total of six handguns and two shotguns. All of the new gun owners provided proof of purchase, though some asked not to have their last names published because of potential career backlash.

"To me, it's all about protecting my family, and if a gun makes that easier, so be it," Scott, a California tech worker with a wife and daughter, said.

Many of the new gun owners cited concerns about personal protection as states began emptying jail cells and police departments announced they would no longer enforce certain laws. Jake Wilhelm, a Virginia-based environmental consultant and lacrosse coach, purchased a Sig Sauer P226 after seeing Italy enact a nationwide lockdown on March 9.

"[My fiancée and I] came to the conclusion in early March that if a nation like Italy was going into full lockdown, we in the U.S. were likely on the same path," Wilhelm said. "Given that, and knowing that police resources would be stretched to the max, I decided to purchase a handgun."

The National Shooting Sports Foundation, the gun industry's trade group, said new customers represented a large swath of new gun sales even as gun stores faced depleted stocks and shutdown orders from state and local governments across the country. "A large portion of the 2.3 million sales during the month of March were to first-time buyers is what we're hearing back from our retailers," Mark Oliva, a spokesman for the group, said.

Retailers told the Free Beacon they'd never experienced anything like the recent surge of new buyers.

Brandon Wexler of Wex Gunworks in Delray Beach, Fla., said "at least 50 percent" of his sales in March were to first-time buyers. Michael Cargill of Central Texas Gun Works in Austin, Texas, said he was getting "100 calls an hour" at the peak and most were from new customers. Wayne Viden, vice president of Bob's Little Gun Shop in Glassboro, N.J., said he also noticed an influx of new buyers.

"I think a lot of people were afraid of exactly what's happening now," Viden said. "They're afraid if it continues to go on longer, things are going to get worse."

[Lengthy article. More at the link.]

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Many on other gun forums are poo-pooing these new gun owners. Many long time gun owners are insisting these are not friends of the 2A, will do the cause harm when they shoot themselves in the foot, etc.

I'm glad these people are awakening to an inescapable reality, viz. in the final analysis, there is no one to protect you except you, and the only way to do so definitively? Is with a gun.

They are finally realizing a gun is a tool, and is only good or bad, depending upon the man holding it. (Thanks Shane, for that bit of wisdom.)

I earlier posted a cartoon of a 20 something woman with a shoulder bag full of toilet paper in a gun store. She said, "What do you mean I have to wait ten days?! I want my gun now!"

The FFL said, "Do you believe in gun control?"

She said, "Yes, of course I do! What's that got to do with anything?!"

The FFL: "Lady, this is gun control."

·
Banned
600 Posts
It's like liberals lunatics running around without their meds or not taking it and they getting a firearms? Dammit that is very dangerous. I worry about them commuting suicide after this all over with so them Demwits in Congress to have more ammunition to pass more asinine BS laws.

·
Supreme Member
3,884 Posts
A lot of first-time gun buyers out there now. I'm sure many of those first timers previously held anti-gun opinions and supported gun control.

Will it matter in the long run to have so many new gun owners? Probably not. Sure, some of them will permanently convert to the pro-gun side of the fence. But once things get back to normal, I think most will revert right back to their anti-gun views and opinions.

Reactions: Gray_Rider

·
Native Mainiac
23,955 Posts
Had an acquaintance ask if I had a 22 revolver I would sell. I only have 2, a Sentinel snub nose that has sentimental value and I would never part with, and a mint S&W 17-6...that I'd let go for 1,200.
The idjit laughed and said that all 22 revolvers were only a couple hundred bucks.
Told him to go get one then. Think maybe he'll be in for a surprise if he does go look.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,661 Posts
It's like liberals lunatics running around without their meds or not taking it and they getting a firearms?
Who says they are liberals?
Not every conservative owns a gun. Not every conservative considers owning a gun their number 1 priority in life.

My dad was in WWII. He HATED liberals. Never owned a gun but supported the concept that every American had a right to own a gun.

·
Registered
30,267 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if this buying surge, spurred by a sudden confrontation with one of the oft-ignored aspects of reality - (self-reliance in unstable times and being able to provide for defense of self and family) - throws out the previous claims that fewer "households" have guns. ;)

Reactions: Gray_Rider

·
M62/76
12,564 Posts
Had an acquaintance ask if I had a 22 revolver I would sell. I only have 2, a Sentinel snub nose that has sentimental value and I would never part with, and a mint S&W 17-6...that I'd let go for 1,200.
The idjit laughed and said that all 22 revolvers were only a couple hundred bucks.
Told him to go get one then. Think maybe he'll be in for a surprise if he does go look.
It always amuses me when folks that are new to anything feel that they are suddenly “in the know.”

·
NRA Life Member
66,567 Posts
I'm glad to see more people changing to the gun side from the anti-un side. I have no tolerance or patience for them, so I only mean that mostly in the big-picture theoretical sense that there are more people on our side politically; not in the sense where I'm actually happy to see them in the gun store, or at the range, or posting hysterical comments about their new Glock's finish and rub marks on the plastic here at Glock Talk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With all these new gun owners, we need to recognize that many of them don't have the experience or training they need. Keep an eye out for them. Offer them encouragement and stress the importance of proper training. Keep your "gunshop commando" talk tamped down because shooting for the first time is stressful enough. After all, we're not just welcoming new gun owners, they are new gun voters.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Unfortunately this isn't a sign that folks are converting to pro gun.
People who dislike guns and want them removed from circulation want it because they know what they represent. Now those same people are afraid because of the virus so they go and buy a gun.

They didn't buy it because their eyes are opened, they already knew the purpose and reason to own one. As soon as the crisis passes and the fear is gone they will loathe themselves for owning the vile thing they so hate.

Post virus you will see most those guns gotten rid of either to buy back programs, youtube destruction videos, etc and their owners right back to trying to take guns from everyone else.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,595 Posts
As normal on here, the negativity and nay-saying never fails. Some people would complain about a gold brick you gave them being too heavy. No, they might not all keep their guns or change their stance on them, but can't even hope some of the previous non gun owners may have seen the need and necessity of being able to defend themselves? What's wrong with seeing the positive once in a while?

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,661 Posts
No, they might not all keep their guns or change their stance on them, but can't even hope some of the previous non gun owners may have seen the need and necessity of being able to defend themselves? What's wrong with seeing the positive once in a while?
Especially after jumping through all the hoops to buy a gun (in some States) people may realize that keeping a gun around is a good idea, even if they just lock it in the safe, waiting for the next disaster to happen.

The other plus is that when some anti-gun media or celebrity A-hole starts spouting about how a 14 year old can walk into Walmart and buy a machine gun in 15 minutes (or similar stupid claim) these people will now be educated as to the real gun buying process, and may start realizing that if they are lying about that. . . What else are they lying about.

RE: lying media
When Clinton was pushing his weapons ban our local media in Colorado (at the time) was printing lies that this would only ban: Machine guns and AR-15 "Assault weapons".

I called them and told them that this ban did NOT affect machine guns and it impacted MOST semi auto center fire rifles with removable magazines and magazines over 10 rounds.

They responded that I was wrong and there was no magazine ban and It only effected AR15s and AKs and that I was listening to false lies by the anti ban crowd.

The day after the law passed the very same newspaper had a article going into great detail exactly what was banned, including a full list of banned guns and details about the magazine ban.

They knew the truth from the very first day, but WILLFULLY lied to the public to support the gun ban.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts