close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First time buy...Factory sealed??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by whoareyou310, Aug 6, 2012.

1. whoareyou310

whoareyou310

I will be buying a G19 gen4 within a few months and I have never bought a handgun before. I will most likely use my local gun shop for the transaction. I have already looked at the models in the display case. Now my question is when I decide to buy a brand new glock from my local dealer will it be in a factory sealed case?? Thanks for any info and I apologize for being a newbie!!!

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I've always seen them open, I think to verify the serial number against what is on the outside of the case or something.

I wouldn't hold my breath expecting it to be sealed, none of the 4 I've bought were, even though 2 were specially ordered for me.

3. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

I've never seen a factory sealed unit. I believe the serial is checked on all guns before putting them on the shelf.

Not to scare you, but do some research on the Gen 4 19 here. Reliability seems to be hit or miss.

4. ctfireman

ctfireman

I've never seen a dealer trust that the gun & case match as far as the serial number goes.

5. TeeJay37

TeeJay37

I bought a 26 a few weeks ago and they cut the seal right in front of me to check the serial number. They didn't have a box for the one in the case and had a box for a pistol they didn't have. Looked like someone screwed up. Thats why they went to the stock room to get me a fresh one.

6. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Every new gun will have its box opened and its serial number (gun, not the box) checked upon receipt to log it into the store's bound book.

7. Wawrz

Wawrz

My local lgs would always keep the boxes unopened and the seal uncut until the purchase was made. Things have changed and my last glock purchase, the seal was already cut. All of the new glocks in the box had the seals cut.

8. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

They probably had a gun or two that didn't match the label on the box. I've seen it happen.

9. michael e

michael e

The only time I have had them sealed still was ones my FFL ordered for me and I picked up the day it came in. They have to enter them into there books within a time frame, can't remember what he told me. So if I can't get to pick it up that day he opens it to check the serial numbers.

10. kaech

kaech

out of the 6 or so glocks ive bought before only 1 time i seen them (cut the seal) gen3 27 sticker. the new stickers are half the size so im not sure theres much (to cut) these days

11. TeeJay37

TeeJay37

You're right. I looked at mine. This is what they cut.
    [​IMG]
    The sticker doesn't make any seal at all.
    [​IMG]

12. vmann

vmann Controller

most retailers will put everything they have on display, so what you see is what you get....dont fret over it....

13. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

Two years back when I bought the G19 was sealed, the shopowner opened it up in front of me and checked the serial number etc.

The only difference I saw between mine & the open guns (brand new) in the showcases was a thin strip of lube that lined the inner side of the slides on those guns, while mine had factory coated lubes.

Cheers.!!!

14. Reswob

Reswob

I would ask to buy one that is NIB in the stock room, and not the one that has been sitting in the case and handled by countless people before you.

15. manonmars

manonmars Spaced Out

Everyone is correct about the gun shop breaking the seal to inspect.................

............Except I just happen to have a g19, a g26, and a g30, all in OD Green.............(all purchased when I found out OD was being discontinued).

....and the seal has NOT been broken on any of them......

They WILL BE FOR SALE when the value exceeds 1 BILLION-TRILLION-GAZILLION DOLLARS!

PS....I NEVER buy a floor model. If they do not have one new in a box, in their safe, I don't buy one.

I don't want COOTIES all over my new gun....................

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  16. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

If your looking for a virgin, my suggestion is to order it using the Gun Genie at www.galleryofguns.com and have it delivered to your dealer. I've done this about 6 times and have been very pleased.

17. curlysir

curlysir

How do you know you have a gun in the case and not rocks?:supergrin:

I am surprised that the dealer let them out of his possession without checking the serial number.

18. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

A better questions would be "How do you know you actually have OD pistols in there?". Yes the box says so, but you really don't know.

I wouldn't want to be the dealer that sold you those either. Cause all he did was log a box on his books, and then did a 4473 on your and that box. No one can testify in a Federal Court that they actually saw the serialed numbered firearm. :faint: I'm just saying, glad they aren't on my books....:supergrin: TXPO

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012