close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First time at a competative shoot

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by seanmcp, Sep 28, 2004.

1. seanmcp

seanmcp CLM

Well, Sportshooter's Indoor Gun Range in Louisville is doing some Combat shoots now on Tuesday night with a little different run each time. I decided I'd go ahead and quit watching and actually shoot today! The format was:

http://www.gssfonline.com/course/5toglk.htm

I was all decked out in my glock-wear (Glock hat, t-shirt, sidearmor IWB, and one of my second-gen G19's) and ready to do my best to prove Glocks can do well even in the hands of a beginner :)

The G19 I was shooting had just been dropped off at the range for me today w/ night sights freshly installed on it (I've never used them before, and 3dot is a bit different than stock sights I had) and was the G19 I almost never shot (the other one has been my primary carry gun; thus, this one sacrificed up for NS first; Thanks again, wprebeck!). It has a slightly different trigger feel due to the differences in wear and tear, the serrated trigger instead of the smooth one I normally carry, AND the fact that it had just been detail stripped (again, thanks wprebeck; it's embarassing to have someone ELSE clean my gun when they're working on it), so I was basically coming into this sucker cold!

I'm not happy with my score from a purely statistical standpoint, but I didn't get smoked either :) My combined time was ~70 seconds (OUCH!) in large part due to dropping a few at 25 yards in the outer band. Now that I understand the scoring system, I'll happily take more time from now on for the 25 yard shots. I had no misses, and quite a few X's. On either side of me the scored times were ~60 and ~80, so I kind of fell in the middle.

It was a lot of fun, and now I know what to actually do the next time. I was pretty happy to get 30 rounds out in 3 strings of 10 in a total time of ~35 seconds as far as shooting; the extra time came from penalties on the 20 and 25 yard shots. A couple of extra seconds there (to actually AIM like I know what I'm doing and not just waving the gun like an idiot *sigh*) and I should be able to drop this score dramatically. I also know I can cut a bit of time on the first couple of targets; I shot them better than I needed to if just going for time (X's are great in terms of tie breakers, but don't gain me much otherwise). The other guys shooting did a GREAT job of making me welcome, and kept me from knocking myself too badly; I was certain I was gonna be so wired I'd shoot the walls, ceiling, floor, and anything BUT the target at 20 and 25 yards *sigh* They all landed in the target at least *grin*

All in all, for the first time I'd ever done any kind of target transition that wasn't little swingers w/ my .22AA kit, I was very pleased. Now to go for a total scored time of under 40 seconds, and then on from there!

Whoo-hoo!

2. lm921

lm921 The Stampede

Glad to see you are getting in there, Always rember to have fun, that what it's all about.
    My local range burned to the ground a couple of weeks ago but they say they are going to rebuild :)

3. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

When shooting the 5toGlock there are several things you can do to decrease your times.

First shoot one side at a time, don't keep transitioning from left to right. For example, if you start on the right side you'll put two shots in the ten yd target, two in the twenty yard target two in the twenty-five yard target, then two in the fifteen then two in the five. You basically just make an arc through the targets with no side to motion of the gun.

I shoot it from right to left and the majority of time on each strin is spent at twenty and twenty-five yards. Shooting those two fast will absolutely kill your score. Slow down and keep 'em in the B ring. You can pick up time on the five yard target with a fast double tap.

The most important thing to remember is that accuracy is important. With D hits giving you five points a piece and misses giving you ten points a piece it's worth it to take an extra second to aim vs. just letting the rounds fly.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The record for the 5TG with a stock Glock G17 is 13.20 points (including penalties), shot by Master Shooter Tony Clemens at San Antonio in 2000. Not bad for 3 strings of 10 shots each.

My personal best was a 30.12 plus 9 points penalty for a 39.12 at Waldorf, MD in 2004, shooting a G19 in Amateur/Civilian.

5. seanmcp

seanmcp CLM

Whew. Seeing those times is scary! I was pretty happy with the overall time, and will probably set up a range down at the inlaws' soon to actually start working on some of the GSSF scenarios from the website. I've not done much at 20 and 25 regardless, so I need to do a lot of work there. I was really happy to not have any misses ;)

Considering I was picking up a gun cold, I was surprised I did as well as I did. A bit of work on the 20 and 25 yard line, and I think I might be able to make a less embarassing go of it, with some practice. This is going to make me move, tho, I can tell. I live in the city, but grew up in the rural areas. I'm going to have to bite the bullet in the next couple of years and move a bit further out of town and build my own outdoor range *grin* I miss being able to walk outside and practice (even if it was rifle growing up, and not pistols).

Thanks for all the advice; I don't think I'll ever approach the 39's listed here (I'm amazed by the 13.20!), but I'm hopeful I can get to the 40's someday.

6. elsolo

elsolo

GREAT!

Now go try an IPSC (USPSA), or local steel match to shoot. You'll be addicted, and your skills will improve so much you will hardly believe it.

7. glockxgray

glockxgray glockenschtuppe

Might I also suggest IDPA

Its a complete blast, primarily to see where you stand in relation to others and watching yourself improve as you go along.
    Always remember " Speed cannot make up for accuracy but accuracy can make up for speed"
    In other words, practice control and accuracy, speed will naturally come.
    I have been competitively shooting for about 7 yrs now, I still concentrate on the mechanics of it all, the draw, presentation, sight picture and trigger squeeze. Master the mechanics of it all and all else will fall in place.

Just my .02

GXG

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Dx: Early onset of GSS-Filia.
    Rx: - Review the tips from the postings here,
    - practice them 'consarned' 20-25yd targets,
    - and take yourself to the GSSF match in Lexington coming up shortly. You will:
    - meet a whole bunch of great people.
    - have an absolute blast.
    - continue to improve.
    Repeat PRN.
    ;f Welcome to the fray!