First tattoo...?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gokyo, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Struggle_Russ

Struggle_Russ

I have 17 different tattoos between my arms and chest and save for the one on my ring finger to replace a wedding band (work related choice) they aren't visible when wearing a long sleeve shirt. This is a rather common thing in the military and seems to be growing in the civilian sector as Vets try to reintegrate over the last 10 years along with just becoming more acceptable.
    Whatever reason you choose to get one it's (generally speaking) permanent so...

1. Be mindful of where you want to put it. While it's becoming more common, it can still negatively reflect on you at work. Safe bet is to have it in a spot that is covered by typical work dress. Keep in mind that after it's done, you're going to need to put some cream or ointment on it for a bit every day, it's going to scab and it will be covered for the first day or to. Depending on work clothes, that can be a pain to deal with.

2. Don't get something that comes off the "flash art" wall. That's all the little pictures of preset designs. They are a dime a dozen and odds are, someone else is walking around with them. Spend the time and money with an artist to have them sketch something you come up with that's personal. It costs more than just pointing at a wall or in a book and saying, "That one" but it's more than worth it.

3. Whatever you have done will fade. It fades more quickly if you expose it to sun or if you don't take time to put some kind of cream or lotion on as a regular thing. Personal choice. Fading means fine line work can look smudged after a while. You'll either have to deal with this or deal with getting it touched up. I don't get mine touched up but that's for my own personal reasons. I'd think twice before deciding on something with a bunch of thin lines or shading/shadows. They'll degrade or look "blown out", which is that smudged look.

4. Don't get something based on an emotional decision in the moment. It has meaning for you at the time but those emotions in the moment also fade. You're going to have this ink till you're buried unless you have it removed. You think you'll feel the same way 1 year from now about something emotional? How about in 20 years? People usually ask about ink when they see it so consider having to answer those questions and how it might sound. Or you can just tell people "It's my tattoo" and leave it at that.

5. Take the time to pick an artist. Doesn't matter if you get a simple circle or something that takes multiple visits to finish; check their portfolio. Do not just go in, pick something and sit down with the first person who greets you to get ink. Usually shops have folks who specialize in some stuff more than others. Don't get the guy that likes doing squares to give you a circle.

2. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Yep. My wife's Japanese. There've been many times we see someone in a mall or grocery store and she has to immediately walk away in the opposite direction to keep from being seen laughing her ass off.

3. evlbruce

evlbruce

I can't think of tattoos without thinking: "I am a slave."

Caver 60 likes this.
  4. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

I love my chest tat..... No Regerts!

light-switch, Agonizer, tuica and 2 others like this.
  5. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

This, is why I love coming in here!
    Thank you for the morning chuckle!
    When I shared it with the wife, she laughed harder than I did, which had me laughing, all over again.
    Thank you!

6. treg

treg

I got one of those in 6th grade on my upper left forehead when Tina stabbed me for staring at her boobies.

It is the perfect example of a short term solution to a long term problem.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    arnold ziffle, FullClip and Grabbrass like this.
  7. treg

treg

FTR:
    Me having the great job that I do is a direct result of a former employee deciding that a hand tattoo was a good idea...

larry_minn likes this.
  8. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

If a person doen't like tattoos, cool. Don't get one.

There may be a point to getting a tatt where no one can see it, but I've never realized it. I have one on my forearm, a somewhat large one with "MOM" in the middle in the classic tattoo font. My mother, still alive in her eighties, said she was flattered that I'd do that.

9. dartor

dartor

20191015_061847.jpg

My first tattoo in honor of my oldest son. Took me almost 18 months before I decided what to get

railfancwb, 1L26, gatorboy and 5 others like this.
  10. JGIORD

JGIORD

No hands, no face, no neck. If you want something get it where you can easily cover it up if you want to. Tattoos are a personal thing and you should be able to show them if you want and only if you want. I prefer pictures that have a meaning to them.

I am not a fan of lettering tattoos, unless the few words are part of a picture.

Hey Dartor, I assume your son is an Aries?

ScotchWhisky likes this.
  11. Tyler Smith

Tyler Smith

Most places now a days do not frown upon tattoos. We have numerous teachers with sleeve tattoos in our district. I worked for gm in the corporate offices and I am covered and never got told to cover up. Now i work for the biggest cat dealer in the midwest and norther region. The owners lover the tattoos and want me to go with him to get one on his dollar lol
    Just get something that means something to you and don’t look back. I have a 36 hour back piece tribute to my whole family that I start next month. Everywhere you look there’s tattoos! Do it and don’t worry what others say. Once you get one you’ll want another.

ScotchWhisky likes this.
  12. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Not tats, just an assortment of scars.

I guess I could call them body modifications and be all hip. :cool:

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

13. canis latrans

canis latrans

I don't think I like my family that much.

Agonizer and larry_minn like this.
  14. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

I don't understand how a person's emotional state can be relieved or enhanced by getting a tattoo, and I can't relate to the desire to have 'body art' prominently (and permanently) displayed for public observation. However, I'm an old peckerwood who still believes a healthy, shapely body is quite beautiful in its natural state. Why would one deface natural beauty?

Choosing to tatt or not to tatt is a highly personal matter, but it can have career and social consequences. Job and social opportunities outside of the 'community of tattoo advocates' may be limited by having them. In my mind, tattoos register as a negative; the more widespread and visible they are, the more negatively I feel about the person.

Are people with prominent tattoos bad people? I don't judge them as bad, but I have to wonder what motivated them to draw animals, organizational symbols and all other manner of designs over a perfect work of natural beauty with a permanent marker.

Agonizer likes this.
  15. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

Not even a single letter?

Lmao

railfancwb and tuica like this.
  16. JMS

JMS 02

Any cat tattoos?

railfancwb likes this.
  17. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

Odd way to look at it. Obviously the people who badmouth people with tattoos stand out to you, while the other 99% who are indifferent about a strangers tattoos don't.

18. captcurly

captcurly

First and only tattoo, Eagle,Anchor & Globe (USMC logo) with a scroll (USMC) on upper left arm. The date of tattoo Dec.1960 and the cost was $12.50. Tatoo artist, Ace Harding, Jacksonville, NC.The tattoo is now almost 59 yrs old and has not faded much. There was never a regret and was always proud to have it. Hell, I earned the right to have it.

OXMYX, treg, larry_minn and 2 others like this.
  19. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

1. Think about it long and hard.
    2. Let emotions die down a little.
    3. Have an option/location for easy cover up.
    4. Think about it long and hard.

I have two, easily covered. One is for a personal achievement. One is in memoriam. I was 59 before the first one was done. I though about it for 5 years.

20. Jonesee

Jonesee

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever"

I have the scars, but no desire for a tat.

Caver 60, treg and tuica like this.