First range outing

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by otter1422, Apr 6, 2012.

1. otter1422

otter1422

So 2 months ago I took a first time shooters class, 2hrs including some range time which was my first and only time shooting until today. Picked up a G17 gen4 a couple days ago and went and joined local gun club today mostly consisting of trap shooters but they have a 25yd outdoor pistol range. Lots of trap shooters there today but I was alone on gun range. My very first round fired and ejected but slide locked back and seemed to have jammed next round. It has been 2 months since my one and only shooting/training and I thought oh man:wow: no way I barely remembered TAP-ROLL-RACK, it took STRIP-RACK-RELOAD-CHARGE to fix the problem and I didn't have to go looking for someone with my tail between my legs to safely clear the gun. After that I had no failures shot several clips and had a great time can't wait to get back out there.:supergrin:

2. valvestem

valvestem

Well that is good news.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Sounds good. Did you get round #2 to fire?

Joining the range is a smart idea.

4. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Great job!

I am always amazed to see who I know to be veteran pistol shooters on the range who stare at their gun like it has 5 eyeballs growing out of it when it malfunctions.

Every gun had the potential to malfunction for any reason at any time. You might have 10,000 trouble free rounds through a particular gun. That does not mean that round number 10,001 will not create an issue. That could be the round you need to save your life too.

Fix the weapon, clear the malfunction, get it operational and get back in the fight. :cool: :wavey:

5. otter1422

otter1422

I ejected it and set it aside never reloaded that round.

6. truetopath

truetopath

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

excellent. I always try firing the round a second time. If that doesn't work I'll skip it.

Glad you had a great time.

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Well put brother! I've seen my fair share of folks staring at there malfunction like a cow at a new gate.

9. unit1069

unit1069

Did you read and follow the Glock manual's instructions to field strip, visually inspect, lightly clean and reassemble the pistol before shooting it for the first time?

As for the second point, I have a very nice 9mm pistol that encountered a few issues the first time at the range even after following the above regime, but no issues afterward. So I would just recommend keeping your Glock tip-top clean and lubed and I have no doubt you'll be very pleased with the results.

10. bac1023

bac1023

11. Aquagear

Aquagear

Enjoy your new pistol and new found sport. You had a malfunction thought about it cleared it and continued. I think you are off to a good start. By the way Glock pistols are great however any autoloading firearm can and will malfunction sooner or later, you just learned that and handled it well.:wavey: