First Post, First Glock, First Question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glokd-n-loaded, Apr 7, 2010.

1. glokd-n-loaded

glokd-n-loaded

I just picked up a G22 (I think a 2nd gen.) and there are several scratches on the slide. I'd like to refinish it so it looks nice a perty again so I've looked into a couple of different options....Duracoat or Cerakote. I don't really want to dump a whole bunch of $$ into it, just fix up the scratches. which route would you go?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

Glock Inc offers a refinishing service, not sure how much it costs but you'd have to ship the pistol to them in Smyrna, GA which is a little expensive on its own.

Congratulations on your new pistol!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010

3. Thiokol

Thiokol

Glock charges $45.00 to refinish the slide.

4. gchild00

gchild00

send it back to glock..can't beat the tennifer finish..IMHO

5. bentbiker

bentbiker

The black surface treatment is not tennifer.

glockd-n-loaded, you can send just the slide back to Glock for very little cost, but you might want to try something like a black Sharpie before putting more money into the gun.

6. durabo

durabo

first of all congrats on your new baby and welcome to the forum!

glock refinishing is your first option, probably the one i would go with..

is the slide actually marred? like how deep is that mark? if its deep enough that your showing metal through it i would DEFINITELY have it refinished by glock... you want that tennifer solid everywhere on your slide... protects it from corrosion and rust and such...

if its just a cosmetic problem (hard to tell from your pics if thats all it is) then yea duracoat/cerakote is one route... i think ive seen people charging $20 bucks to do the slide...

i hear cerakote is the way to go with that... much more durable.

then you have other more exotic finishes like A-Tacs or something.. but that starts to kick up the cost.

hope this helps !

i also advise detail stripping this gun and making sure you dont have any other problems !

7. XDRoX

XDRoX

Personally I think it looks nice and used. I'd leave it just as is, except add a few more scratches with time.:supergrin:

8. MonsterB

MonsterB

I would definitely send it to Glock, they have a reputation for going above and beyond with customer service...if you send them the whole gun theres a good chance they will look it over and fix anything that may be wrong with it, or at least clean it real good...may take few weeks though, but well worth it...

9. 04LS1GTO

04LS1GTO

Theres no way its worn through the tenifer. The black finish is all he'll have to refinish if that's what he wants. The tenifer treatment is aboud .05 millimeters thick and is I believe 64 Rockwell C (which is very very durable and rugged).

My vote goes to leaving it as is. Builds character and who knows what color finish you're gonna get from Glock these days. I have three glocks all of which have different color slides from each other and all are factory finished.

10. Jeager106

Jeager106

XDR.... has a great point. Just love it and shoot it. The marks add a little character to te handgun and in time you'll get more anyway.
    But if it really bothers you, an I understand if it does I'd sent the slide back and have it done right. No "bubba" job, it will look new again.
    Congrates on the purchase and joining the best Glock site on the web.
    I have a G-22, got in a swap against a Styre .40.
    My G-22 came with a polished slide, dull silver, looks good. I thought it was nickel plated until I joined this fantastic site and learned a lot of Glock owners strip off the dark finish and go with a silver look. The tennifer coating stays intact if done right but since I didn"t make it silver I have no idea if it was done right but I think all is well as it's a good shooter in a great caliber and it came with extra sights and a .357 Sig barrel. I need only swap the .40 barrel, mags stay the same and the Sig caliber is a real dynamo powerhouse.
    I really have two guns in my G-22 in trade for Styre worth 100 bucks LESS than the Glock. Buba must have fallen in lust with the Styre. The fellow that
    got the Styre got a bad deal in my favor as far as I'm concerned.

11. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

SWEET!!!!

The G22 was my first Glock as well. Yes, it is a Gen. 2, and will serve you well for MANY years. The Houge Hand-All is a great addition for the 2nd Gen. Glocks - you may want to pick one up.

Be warned though......

One Glock.......

Leads to................

MANY Glocks!!!
    [​IMG]

Congrats and enjoy!!! :welcome: to Glock Talk!!!!:banana:

TGG

12. AustinTx

AustinTx

I'd send it to Glock for the refinish. You only need to ship them your slide and you can send that by USPO, if you want to.

13. durabo

durabo

wasnt sure the thickness of the tennifer and i couldnt tell from the pic if bare metal was showing through...

thanks for the info!!

yea... send it to glock... if you want to colorize it with duracoat or cerakote afterwards go for it but id send it to glock and let it get handled right.

or possibly some black shoe polish :whistling:

14. bac1023

bac1023

15. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Who all here has actually had Glock refinish a slide? I had one done several years ago. It was $45 just for the slide. I believe the barrel was $20. Anyway, I wasn't pleased with the results. There were some light scatches in the slide that a standard refinish should have removed. I guess they did a chemical strip, because the coating looked nice and new, but every scratch that was in there before I sent it in was still visible under the new coating.

The barrel was buffed so aggressively the hood was rounded on the edges and corners. Yes, through the tennifer. To their credit, they did offer to replace the barrel.

And I could be mistaken, but I don't believe they ever re-tennifer the steel. Something to do with the EPA here in the US.

16. Thiokol

Thiokol

Here's a picture of the one that I just had refinished by Glock. When I bought the gun there was probably no more than 25% of original finish on the slide and a lot of light scratches. Now it looks like new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  17. glokd-n-loaded

glokd-n-loaded

thanks for all the advice ya'll! I think I'll go ahead and send it in to Glock. I'm ALREADY shopping for more :supergrin:

18. voyager4520

voyager4520

Make sure you call them first and let them know what you want to have done. They should tell you how to go about shipping it to them and about how much it'll cost.

19. Thiokol

Thiokol

If you're sending the complete pistol, do not address it to Glock. Address it to Technical Services. That's how they told me to address the package.

20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I am in the minority here but I wouldn't do a thing to it. I think every Glock should be ground in the dirt and kicked down the driveway the day you buy them. Spend your money on ammo. A well worn Glock is a happy Glock.