First Poly 80 build

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Poly80-2a, Jun 15, 2020.

  1. Poly80-2a

    Poly80-2a

    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    8
    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2020
    I am in the process of finishing up my P940v2 (Gen 3 G17) build and wanted to share some pics.

    Tools I used were:

    Dremel 4000
    Dremel Press
    Dremel 636 Brad Point Bits (All Pin Holes)
    Stew Mac Fret Cutters (tabs)
    Various diamond bits, grinding stones/polishers
    Wett Sandpaper 220 - 1500 grit
    Zip sander, popsicle sticks
    Mineral oil (for drilling)
    Xacto knife or box cutter (channel liner)

    Punch your holes first with the dremel press. Add mineral oil to EACH hole. This helps for a clean cut hole. (No more deburring). Once those are complete, use the fret cutters to remove 98% of the tabs. Once tabs are removed I wet sand the remaining 2% flush and blend it in as if the tabs were never there. Moving to the channel liner next. I traced the outside walls with my box cutter making vertical slices down each side. I repeated this process on BOTH sides of the liner until the blade went through. I used a brad point bit to punch a hole in the remaining material in the channel liner. I then used a round cutting bit to remove the material. Finished with wet sanding and blending.

    Moving onto the locking block and rear rails. Those both got flitz and mothers polish. SAME process for LPK parts and SLIDE parts. No 25 cent trigger jobs her. I polish EVERYTHING.

    I am currently in the process of completing my slide and depending on time I should be finished with the entire project by the end of the week.

    Here are some pics in progress.
     

    Attached Files:

    hrt4me and Ct2Honda like this.
  2. GIockGuy24

    GIockGuy24 Bliksem

    Messages:
    4,187
    Likes Received:
    70
    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    Location:
    Pentagon City VA
    Nice.
    I am considering a 19 build.
    I think there is an additional 80 percent 19 available now, but I haven't seen any builds with it yet.
    I'm waiting to see how it compares with the older design
     

  3. Poly80-2a

    Poly80-2a

    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    8
    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2020
    The 80 percent arms Gst-9 is what you're referring too. I am awaiting one myself. They're backordered since around March I think. Which is why no one is posting builds. I am eager to see how they compare to Polymer80. The rails are supposed to be better as well as the jig. We'll see.
     
  4. akpls

    akpls

    Messages:
    437
    Likes Received:
    820
    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2004
    Location:
    New Mexico
    I've got 2 of them on order. Latest update from them now says shipping in July.

    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. "
     
  5. Poly80-2a

    Poly80-2a

    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    8
    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2020

    What color did you get? I seen they have OD about to come out. What slide/barrel are you planning on running?
     
  6. GIockGuy24

    GIockGuy24 Bliksem

    Messages:
    4,187
    Likes Received:
    70
    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    Location:
    Pentagon City VA
    Yes, that's the one. I have been watching for them.
     
  7. Ct2Honda

    Ct2Honda

    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    7
    Joined:
    May 29, 2020
    Looking good man. I am also on my first polymer 80 build. I got the pf940v2. I'm at a stand still right now while I wait for the rest of the parts come in.. But seeing this motivated me to go back and do a little more work on it. Parts are Scheduled for Fridays delivery so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to finish and fire it.
     
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  8. akpls

    akpls

    Messages:
    437
    Likes Received:
    820
    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2004
    Location:
    New Mexico
    My original order was for FDE. A few months later I ordered another in black. If they're coming out with OD I should just go ahead and complete the set! I'll probably just do one with the spare parts I already have on-hand... a Brownells (?) slide, etc. The other one I may try and go a bit higher-end (Grey Ghost Prec?) on and see if it runs any different.

    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. "
     
  9. Poly80-2a

    Poly80-2a

    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    8
    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2020
    I switched to a FDE frame because I have a FDE GST-9 on the way. So here are the results.
     

    Attached Files: