close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Piston AR...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Nine Shooter, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter Average Guy

...And I think I blew it. I bought an LWRCI M6A2 in 5.56 the other day and it just came in. Initial inspection seemed fine. However, when I brought it home I was very disappointed in the little details that should make a $2,000+ weapon.

I have to admit, I haven't even shot it yet and I don't think I will until some issues are resolved. Firstly, there is A LOT of play between the upper and lower receiver. The finish on the lower is good, on par with my other AR's. The upper's finish is lacking. There is a "scribble" in the finish on the left side, it looks like someone scratched it with a piece of wood or plastic.

The finish has already started wearing off the thumbscrews that remove the handguard even before I handled it. The VLTOR stock, Troy sights, and Magpul grip are nice touches, but I'd rather have a quality fitting and looking upper and lower. I emailed LWRCI so we'll see. Anyone else own one of these rifles? I think I bought into the hype of a "top tier" manufacturer :faint:

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Play between the upper and lower isn't that big of a deal, honestly. Not sure about the finish issues, though.

3. davsco

davsco

frankly i haven't taken a magnifying glass to mine re fit and finish, but it absolutely runs and runs and runs, zero issues. have not used any super cheap stuff like steel case or foreign milsurp, but have shot a bunch of xm193 and the like, again no issues.

4. B.Reid

B.Reid

Try rubbing some oil on that scribble, it will probably go away.

5. HoldHard

HoldHard

Did you buy it with the intent of shooting it or is it going to be a safe queen?

Personally, there are weapons in my safe that cost twice as much as the LWRC rifle that's in there but they all have been fired. They all show marks of usage as the AR platform spits brass out which hits the deflector, leaving a mark.

If you have a problem with your rifle, contact LWRC and they will address any and all issues. Their customer service is top notch.

HH

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

You are experiencing a phenomenon called "buyer's remorse", no big deal. That rifle could have been made from unobtanium and shoot golden BBs, and you wouldn't be happy.

And don't expect that going to the range and shooting it will be a magical experience either. As good as I've read LWRCs to be, they're still nothing more then a well-thought-out piston AR, it will physically shoot just like any other AR. The pay-off is easy clean-up and great reliability due to the internal coatings they use.

Other than excessive play, the issue is you, not the rifle. If the play really is that excessive, send it back and tell them to get it right.

7. jadams951

jadams951 Resident JBT

8. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Wow! I just don't know what to say.:faint:

9. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Geez. The Black Rifle forum is a harsh place.

10. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter Average Guy

Thanks to those who posted helpful replies. I knew I'd get some criticism from the "firearms are tools, not safe-queens" school of thought. I understand they are. Trust me my very old, very used, agency issued Colt still shoots like a champ, but the finish has worn off in multiple places and I don't mind because it still does its job.

I kind of expected the $2000 gun I just bought to have a $2000 fit and finish. That's all. I don't want to start trouble, I just asked for feedback from those who may have experience with LWRCI rifles. Call me picky, but when I throw down 2k for a gun, I want to be the guy who puts the first scratches on it. I also found that the A2 flash hider was marred by a tool or wrench of some sort when it was installed.

I'll post back when/what I find out. I really want to like this rifle.

11. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter Average Guy

Someone once told me that upper/lower play can be eliminated or reduced by replacing the pivot and take down pins with larger ones. Is that true? I am familiar with the accu-wedge method, but I'm wondering if anyone else has done the pins?

12. davsco

davsco

how about posting a pic showing the upper/lower play?

13. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

No pins will fix it, the accuwedge is garbage don't put it in the gun.

Are we talking a wiggle a wobble or a shake?

Wiggle is fine.

LWRC will make sure the gun is in spec call them, the squiggle sounds like something rubbed it try rubbing off with oil and a rag.

14. Mayhem like Me

You paid 2000 for the materials and engineering in that gun not for fit and finish.

anyway LWRC wants you happy call them and have them make it better.

15. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter Average Guy

Swatbwana, thank you for your reply. The best way I can describe it is if I place my left hand on the upper rail where an optic would go while holding the grip with my right hand, I can move the upper quite a bit from side to side (not front-back) in a "rolling" motion.

I can catch the bottom ledge of the upper with my finger when I push it completely to one side. I can also hold it lengthwise up to my face and see daylight the whole distance between the upper and lower.

I don't know how to measure or take a photo of it accurately. From my understanding, front to back play is fine, whereas side to side motion is no bueno? The oil and rag didn't remove the flaws in the finish. I hear good things about LWRCI's CS, I'll wait for their reply.

16. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Play in either direction will not affect accuracy.

It may affect feeding if you're in a really weird position and stressing the gun in an odd way. That's about it.

I shot expert with a Frankenrifle M16A2 that had an original (no fence around the mag release, full auto overstamped) lower and an FN upper which literally rattled when shook.

17. B.Reid

B.Reid

Since the sights are attached to the upper, play makes no difference.

18. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter Average Guy

Yup, I know. In regards to the amount of play, I'm mainly concerned with feeding, reliability, huge gap for foreign material to enter into the receiver.

19. rjdriver

rjdriver

You could use a JP Tension Pin you can find them here
    http://www.jprifles.com/1.5.1.7_small_tp.php
    the only thing is you won't be able to disassemble the gun in a hurry but it will tighten it up as far as accuracy goes....I wouldn't worry about it my POF is the same way and it shoots real well for a black rifle.....it is what it is!
    Best

20. Mayhem like Me

it sounds on the high side of what would be acceptable , call them and get a return tag and write in detail the observations.

They will make it right. A tension pin wont fix a gap, the gap will still be there.