close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Parts to Die On the Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bam1131, Apr 17, 2012.

1. bam1131

bam1131

I'm curious as to what is everyone's opinions/experiences on which parts on the Glock will be the first to go/break/wear out/die.

I have a 17 and I'd like to know what to expect and maybe have a few spares handy. I know that environment can play a large part but I'd just like to get an interesting thread started with an interesting topic that will most likely benefit everyone here. So.. lets hear em

2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

9 years, 20k in rounds and no parts broken yet/worn out in gun or mags, still have original recoil spring, knock on wood. :supergrin: I will say the recoil spring would be the first to be replaced but some have last even longer than mine.

:50cal:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

3. NCWalrus

NCWalrus

That is impressive TSA I hope I can say the same for my 19 in 9 years

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. pistoleer

pistoleer

Supposedly the recoil spring but I am still rocking the same one too and I shoot ALOT! If I was going to get a just in case spare parts kit I would get a spare trigger return return spring because I hear they can break. Again I haven't had it happen or see it happen. The most pain in the butt parts for me is the safety plunger spring and the extractor depressor plunger spring. Sometimes if you aren't mindful of those springs they get lost easy.

5. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

What I see the most while supporting a gunshow armorer operation:

A broken or cracked polymer recoil rod (not the spring)
    A broken 5.5lb trigger spring
    A weakened mag spring (but broken is rare)

Items I see occasionally that can be traced to poor owner actions:

Chipped extractor (usually from habitually dropping the slide on a chambered round)
    Distorted slide stop spring (usually from someone reassembling the pins in wrong order)
    Broken ejector (usually from someone who decided to "straighten" a 9mm ejector)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. bam1131

bam1131

This may end up turning into the "Not a damn thing has broken, That's why it's called a Glock" thread.ha. either way good stuff

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

First to break is the shooter's bank account.

My 1996 G19 broke it's first part last year. After 81,000 rounds the extractor chipped.

8. Sgt.K

Sgt.K They Just Work!

Slide lock spring broke on my smooth finger groove 26 a couple of weeks ago. Other than that no issues and I've not replaced anything in approx 20k. And btw look up slide lock spring if your not sure what it is as it isn't what it sounds like. Ordered an emergency spring kit for it and added the sls and recoil spring for a 17 (only springs different from 26 to 17) from RYG for about $50. The repair cost me $25, but I'm not complaining. YMMV.

9. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Danny, I have a question you might be able to answer.

For the original Austrian Army endurance acceptance test of the original G17 (supposedly a 20,000 round test), what number and types of parts breakage were allowable and still have the gun pass the acceptance test?

10. OrGlocker

OrGlocker

If all else fails join GSSF and go to a match at least once a year and have the armorer change out weak springs if you have any (Doubtful) and/or update it for you.

11. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I have extra recoil springs for mine. 12000 rds so for in my 17 and nothing broke so far.

12. cciman

cciman

You will spend several times the price of the gun on ammo before you really need to worry about breakage.

Replacing for piece of mind, or on a maintenance schedule is different than actual part failure. The most stressed parts are the springs, and the extractor.

Have fun "breaking' your gun.

13. Sniff

Sniff

I've broken one trigger spring in about 18 years with my own G17. Medium use IPSC.

Nothing on any of the others I own.

I work in a police firing range and they just keep going and going and going. Our are used for training all cops in the city and get an absolute thrashing.

The only thing that really wears out is the barrel, but only because we use that hard frangible ammo.

14. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

Never had anything break on any of mine (26, 19,23 & 32) but I do replace all springs on at least a yearly basis.

15. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Samurai,

I don't know but Butch may. More significant was the 1997 or 1998 FBI test, in which three G22's and three G23's were each fired 20,000 rounds in four or five days at Quantico. Glock beat out all other manufacturers that participated.

16. maniDAR

maniDAR

3 year old Glock 17 around 9500 rounds fired nothing broken, just it is a lot easier to load the mags as the spring is a little looser.

It is a Glock after all. and it is a 17 RTF2.

17. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Thanks Danny, you always give us great info, :wavey: it must have been fun for the guys testing this, I wonder if they had a bunch of rookies/trainees loading all the mags :supergrin:

:50cal:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  18. DocWills

DocWills

Realistically, a spring kit, locking block pins, extractor and related parts, steel sights if you run the original plastic.

19. Itchy Finger

Itchy Finger Junior G Man

I agree 200%!! What with ammo costs these days...If the weather is nice I could burn up $30-$40 a day NO PROB! And, I shoot the realativly inexpensive :whistling: 9mm (ha). Shoot some .38 spec. but not as much as I would like.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

In most cases, the owner. A few people may need to replace springs, recoil guide rods, or sights.