close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First New G19, things to look for?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by El Bronco, Aug 1, 2012.

1. El Bronco

El Bronco

Hello all,

Rolled dice and ordered a NIB G19, went for the Gen 3 (not Gen 4)... but after reading all the horror stories, not sure that I made the right decision. I haven't seen it yet, but suppose it was made this year (2012).

Anyways, is there like a 'laundry list' of items to look for?

Ie: stampings of certain numbers on the recoil spring, extractor, etc..? Did I make the right decision on a newly produced gen 3 verison? If I'd known this much hub-bub over the G19 Gen 3-4 I'd gone to a diff version, like G26 or something.

Thanks for any/all input!:cool:

2. ChrisKalan

ChrisKalan

Guilty until proven innocent!

Take it out shoot it. If there are issues, Glock will take care of it. Heck, if the stories are true, if you complain enough they will give you a Gen 4.

I have been having no issues with my G19 gen 3 which I bought new in April.

Cheers,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

3. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

The manual.

4. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

Your G19 should be fine. Just shoot the crap out of it.

5. JBP55

JBP55

Ammunition.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats onthe G19.

Good luck with it.

7. DocWills

DocWills

Buy good ammo, recognize not all ammo is the same. Some is for plinking some is for the rest.

19 may be the best all around glock.

3s or 4s I think the 4 design is better. There is a change to the frame / trigger that makes it worth buying.

If you want to shoot cheap ammo buy a metal spring kit that lets you swap springs save the stock one for self defense.

4 might be a touch more accurate due to longer lock time.

All the parts changing is not needed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  8. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

I must have been in a cave here. So Glock modified the Gen 3 design? I was specifically looking at the 3 over the 4 for the problem-free design. I'll have to do some searching here.

9. ozy

ozy

Congrats! The g19 is great. Keep it clean , keep it oiled(metal to metal sections), and shoot the hell out of it.enjoy!

10. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

The nylon bore brush...make sure it's secured properly on the mount inside the case. They tend to fall off. Terrible design on that mount! Glock is coming out with new cases to address this very issue with unsatisfied customers.

Seriously though...the Gen 3 19 uses the 336 ejector and standard Gen 3 RSA. I have no idea if the "newer" ones are coming with non dipped extractors (probably not).

11. cajun_chooter

cajun_chooter

i bought a G19 gen 4... when using it as a CCW pistol.. the little dimples on the grip rub my side raw after 4 or 5 hrs... so i bought a G19 gen 3.. no problems with the design of the grips...
    might think about how you want to use it before buying a Gen 4..

12. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

enjoy it for the first 500 rounds....then the out-of-spec slide will have "broken-in" the extractor enough to start slinging brass as your face.....

i would go ahead now and start ordering all kinds of aftermarket parts, get some shipping boxes ready for multiple trips back to glock......and go ahead and buy about $500 worth of ammo to keep "testing" it to see if its "fixed".......

ask some of us how we know this!!!!!!

but good luck with yours....and i mean that very sincerely!!!!

13. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Best buy in a Glock 19 is a good clean Gen 2 or Gen 3 produced before December 2006,they just shoot,shoot and well Shoot. SJ 40

14. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Are you referring to late Gen 3 and 4? To clarify, does the late Gen 3 have the Gen 4 ejector?

15. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923 Blessed Are The Peacemakers

This is almost exactly my story. Except it was a Gen4 4 and I only spent about $300 on ammo. Tried 3 different extractors and no joy.

Love my Remmy 870 and lil bit of ammo I sold it for. :whistling:

16. 125K9

125K9

I certainly hate to rain on your constant parade of complaining but my Gen.3 G19 (made in 12/09) now has 1,200 trouble-free rounds through it. I've even mixed ammo up in magazines and tried to cause a malfunction, but couldn't. I surely can't say the same for the Beretta I once had.
    The very best of luck with your new G19 and I hope that you'll enjoy it!

17. PROderboom

PROderboom

You will read complaints about anything if you search for complaints. Enjoy your G19 and pump ammo through it.

18. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

You can search through the various threads over the last year or so and find that:

The late model Gen 3s are potentially more problematic than the Gen 4s simply because while Glock is fixing the Gen 4s (more or less, multiple trips may be required), they don't acknowledge that there is a problem with the Gen 3s. If you complain long enough and loud enough, they will exchange the Gen 3 for a Gen 4. But, of course, you can't get a Gen 4 in California (without a lot of dubious pushups). So, you're stuck... If you live in California...

And yes, something has happened to the Gen 3 guns in the last couple of years. If you could get one from 2008 or so, life would probably be good.

OR, your gun may work perfectly and none of this stuff matters. I bought a late model G21 SF (.45 ACP) and it works fine - even with my reloads. I have no complaints about the gun.

There are many other people that are having great success with both Gen 3 and Gen 4 9mm Glocks. The complaints are probably in the minority but they are not zero.

Personally, I won't buy a Glock 9mm. I really want to buy two for IDPA (G17 and G34) but I think I'll just pass on the potential downside. I would be terribly disappointed if I got one of the problem guns.

Richard

19. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Your G19 was made before the Gen 4s were introduced at the SHOT Show in 2010. As a result, you have a gun that was made before Glock started 'improving' the Gen 3s which just so happend to coincide with Gen 4 manufacturing.

If I could get a G17 and G34 with those 2009 dates, they would be in my gun safe right now.

Richard

20. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Good info. Thank you.