GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been racing road for years now and got burned out this year with training and no racing due to the rona. Got a hell of a deal on a high end carbon bike from a teammate of mine. Been riding it almost every day for 7 weeks now. Not without a few hiccups though. Got a puncture thats almost healed from 4 weeks ago, 3 sperated ribs that are healing nicely and alot of cuts/scraps on the knees. We have the best mountain bike trails in the US right here in Arkansas. Had my first race today, cat 3 age 19-39. View attachment 855822 View attachment 855824 Flat race and no technical rock sections but about 100 turns in 8 miles with some tricky root sections. Super fast race. I got the hole shot into the woods and after going hard for 5 mins or so it was just me and one other guy. I tried to drop him several times but with all the turns I couldn't go hard for more than 25 seconds or so before have to slow for a turn. I started taking the most technical parts really hot trying to make him wreck or give up. He ended up hitting a tree but it didn't affect him much. I lead the whole race until the part that mattered. He ended up attacking with about 1k to go and I could drag him back in time. Just like racing the road....theres ALWAYS someone faster ;)
Regardless it was an amazing day and super fun.

And before you ask yes there was more than just two of us...it was cold and results were slow so 3rd left.
Screenshot_20201025-183219_Strava.jpg
20201025_110553_resized.jpg

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well done!!! I took 5th in my first xc race in Tahuya forest, rain and sleet w/ frozen mud puddles. Quite an experience.
Dang! Those are awful conditions. I have raced a few road races over the years like that. Ice accumulation on the bike is the worst part! I think I'll be better at marathon mtb races but we will see. I think I'll cat up to a 2 for the race that's in a few weeks just so I can race 2 laps. Sucks to drive longer than I get to race!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well done!!! I took 5th in my first xc race in Tahuya forest, rain and sleet w/ frozen mud puddles. Quite an experience.
Just looked up Tahuya forest....damn! That had to be one hard race! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was about 25yrs ago. :D
I was using a Norco steel hardtail and on the earliest Marzocchi xcr forks, Sport class.
And rim brakes!!!! I still have rim brakes on my road bikes but have disc on the mountain bike of course. I did see a steel hardatil with rim brakes today though! The guy was older than the bike but not by much!

·
woo woo
30,320 Posts
Lolz. Rim brakes. I'm still running cantilevers. Won't change anytime soon, either. Just call me Grandpa Upgrayedd. :)
View attachment 855856
They work, even if disc are better.
I build bikes frequently with top end parts from maybe 15yrs ago.....they still handle most anything the average rider is ever going to throw at them.
20201022_125944.jpg
20201022_125838.jpg
20201022_125749.jpg

I'm all over 9sp stuff, plenty enough gearing, cheap, easy to find and super reliable.

·
Registered
26,188 Posts
Reactions: Sparky C

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I recall when Mountain Bikes were first on the scein, no shocks, on forks, or anything for comfort. They were like converted bulky big tube frames. Guy were I live had a shop selling early Gary Fisher MB's, he did well. Today they are all high tech, and a top bike is 7-10K or more.

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
They work, even if disc are better.
I build bikes frequently with top end parts from maybe 15yrs ago.....they still handle most anything the average rider is ever going to throw at them.
View attachment 856132 View attachment 856134 View attachment 856136
I'm all over 9sp stuff, plenty enough gearing, cheap, easy to find and super reliable.
I did not understand the need for discs until I was coming down this nasty hill near my house. Had to be able to modulate the brakes exactly to keep the speed down but not slide. Now I have a bike with bigger tires that should do it much easier. Mine are both e-bikes because I am a fatty. The e-bike gets me out there so I am hoping to lose some weight with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts