First Kershaw knife

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by R9S19, Jan 8, 2020.

1. R9S19

R9S19

A co worker of mine just picked this up, decided he didn’t want it, and gave it to me for half of what he paid.

I had actually been looking at Kershaws lately and have to say I’m very impressed. The handle is G10, there’s no play to the action, and it flips open with insane speed. I’m impressed by the blade thickness near the tip.

I can’t seem to find out exactly what model this is aside from being from the “Speedsafe” line. For what I paid for it, I’m looking forward to giving it some heavy use. 2C45B33B-A5B5-45F2-84A7-CB1BE3998CA3.jpeg D969F7FA-9F7E-4B3C-A5A8-5B73ECFFDF94.jpeg 34CF885C-0409-4648-A4FD-61BCA894FC1E.jpeg

2. screwman

screwman

I’ve got one something like that. Don’t know what it’s called. I don’t carry the spring assist anymore, ‘cause there’s no state preemption on knives.

Navy1964 likes this.

3. SK2344

SK2344

I love my two Kershaw Knives! Great quality for a reasonable price and best of all they say, Made in America or USA!

4. Navy1964

Navy1964

I’ve been wanting to buy a good production knife. Been learning that many models of the best names are made in China, Taiwan, S. Korea and elsewhere. Many are not marked on the knife itself.

Trying to find a list that shows which models are made in U.S. Any help?

5. got_metal

got_metal

I like the speedsafe Kershaws. Pretty good quality knives for the price. Good enough for average everyday uses and inexpensive enough to not care much if lost/stolen/broken.

Walk Soft, mj9mm and Navy1964 like this.
  6. got_metal

got_metal

You could always contact Kershaw. In general, I feel like knives at $50 and under are most likely foreign made, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Above $50, the chances it is made here grows, especially as you get closer to $100. Of course there are exceptions to both and I base this on nothing other than observation.

pjanthony and Navy1964 like this.
  7. mj9mm

mj9mm

i have 8 of them, 9 but lost one. they are all speed safe but one. only 2 of them are US made, and one was the lost one. they all are great daily use knives and have passed on other brands since my second purchase. i don't typically spend much money on a knife i carry everyday and beat the heck out of. so until i find a better bargain, Kershaw is it.

Redeemed, pjanthony and got_metal like this.
  8. got_metal

got_metal

Spyderco also has a budget line of knives that are very good quality for the money. Overall slightly pricier than Kershaw's but I feel also a bit better quality as well.

azbuckeye likes this.
  9. jonb32248

jonb32248

I looked for a knife made in this country for my grandson for Christmas but after going to three big stores(Bass Pro, Academy, forget the other) and found 2 knives made here. They didn't look like much so realized I had a almost new knife at home made here. So gave him a Buck made in the USA. The kid loves it and guards it like gold. Pretty sad we can't make an affordable knife. I lived 25 mi from the Schrade plant till they sent stuff to China.

pjanthony likes this.
  10. mj9mm

mj9mm

yes, one of my Son in Laws has a bunch of them. for some reason i haven't found one that suits me, good knives though. funny thing, when my middle daughter married him, he gave me a very nice engraved Kershaw. i wear that one on special occasions, being the Dowery gift and all:cheers:.
    when he was researching one for me, he was so impressed he bought few for himself. he still loves his Spyderco....

got_metal likes this.
  11. mj9mm

mj9mm

our cost of living here is higher than China and others. with the high cost of premium materials and talented craftsman, we can be proud of American Made. but you can find plenty of American Made junk if you look for it.

Navy1964 likes this.
  12. 83wide

83wide

I use a Kershaw with the wave feature at work every day. I've beat the hell out of it for the last 2 years. It still works perfectly and holds a good edge. great knives for the money.

13. Navy1964

Navy1964

I’ve carried Klein Tool & Case knives for forty years - mostly for cutting apples and cleaning trout. Looking for an EDC, defensive knife of good quality. Willing to spend up to 150.

azbuckeye, pjanthony and mj9mm like this.
  14. Capone

Capone

I got a launch 7 and I love it. Takes an edge easily and stays sharp for a long time. It’s an auto and it still opens as fast as it did the first day.

Navy1964 likes this.
  15. Bead

Bead Millennium Member

I have several Kershaws and consider them fine knives but until last week my EDC has been a Spyderco Police Jr. for probably 20 years or so. Very well built and has served me well. Before that it was a Spyderco Wenger Jr. and before that their Endure which I lost. Carrying a Boker Kalashnikov now to see how well I get along with an automatic. The Boker seems very well built and is probably the least expensive knife I've ever bought.

ILeft and Navy1964 like this.
  16. bdcochran

bdcochran

1. The name of the PRC company is irrelevant. It makes quality knives for 5 different American brand names. There are some good PRC knives.
    2. The easiest way to learn if a specific knife is made in the US is to email the manufacturer.
    Some US companies (Cold Steel) do not actually make their own knives, but the quality of most are very good.
    Case makes most, if not all of its knives in the US.
    Spyderco makes some of its knives in the US. However, they did use a quality (Seki, Japan) manufacturer for years. Those early knives are collectors.
    I am fairly certain that Ernie Emerson makes his knives here, but I may be wrong.
    The companies come and go. Ek knives was the go-to knife in WW2. I bought some before the company name and designs were sold to Ontario knives. The steel was changed and the finishing touches may not be what it was years ago, to the detriment of the line. Taylor Brands bought up a lot of brand knife names and makes 100,000s and more knives in the US every year.
    Never believe that Remington and similar name brand companies make their own knives, much less in an American factory in the US.
    Many years ago, to my understanding, Fallkniven (Swedish) made a fixed blade model for cold Steel. After they stopped doing business, Fallkniven took the Cold Steel design and elevated it into the Fallkniven A1. However, Fallkniven has the A1 model made in Seki, Japan now!
    I think Ontario makes most of its knives here. Don't know about Ka-bar. However, the Ka-bar leather sheath is made in Mexico.
    So, if you want an entry survival/hunting knife under $20, you get a Mora.
    The business is so complex and so wide spread that you can't say one country is better than another. I know a French designer who has a $220 fixed blade made by Fox Knives in Italy!

ILeft and Navy1964 like this.
  17. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I’ve EDC’d a very similar Kershaw knife for nearly 5 years, they are solid knives.

18. Navy1964

Navy1964

Very educational. Being 73, I assumed Fords are made in Detroit and Toyota’s in Tokyo. Thanks. Had no idea how “worldwide” the net is.

19. bdcochran

bdcochran

I have 4 modified Kershaw 3655 knives in the basket at the front door. Cheap enough to lose and good enough until the balloon goes up. Just slip one in my pocket before going out the door. New. I find them for about $22 delivered. eBay from a solid seller.

Navy1964 likes this.