First imported Glock 17C ( or P?): The only one left - I think that you all will enjoy this one...

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by glockhoarder, Sep 7, 2019.

1. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Hi Folks,

I've know about this gun for over two years. I've wanted to share it with you guys but, being that it was not mine, I could not share info about it nor the pics that I had of it.

The gun was owned by the fine gentleman from whom I purchased my Gen 1 19 a couple of years ago. This gun came from the same very early Glock salesman and armorer from whom my Gen 1 19 came from back in the 90s. He sure did know which guns to buy from Glock! That really is impressive given that, back then, very few folks collected Glocks and Glock was far smaller than it is now. Still, extreme rarity usually does well as it did with this gun and the Gen 1 19.

While I found out about this gun well over two years ago, it's owner was not ready to part with it at that time. However, he always promised me that when/if he was ready to part with it I'd get the first call. Years later, a couple of weeks ago he honored that promise. I knew that he had a back up buyer - actually a good buddy of mine - so I had to decide quickly. Given it's historical significance I knew that I had to own it and to share it with the Glock collecting community. Then there was the issue of how to value the gun being that there are of course no comparable sales. We worked out what I think is a fair deal and here it is.

As to the gun...

The owner was told by the gun's original owner - again a very early Glock sales rep and armorer - that four of these guns were made in Austria and were imported into the US. Two were destroyed by Glock after testing (WHY do they do that??). One was stolen from Glock. I have no idea whether or not that one still exists - I'd guess not but who knows? The only one known to exist is this last one which he bought from Glock.

He noted that when this gun was made the only ported models which were produced were the 17 L Ps. Glock wanted to see if it was feasible to offer ported guns in other models. Thus, this gun along with the other three were produced and imported into the US for testing.

Of note, the ATA prefix SN of this gun is far earlier than the first 17Cs which were imported for sale which had a CBT prefix.

The person at Glock who researches serial numbers said that this gun was imported on 6/6/94. She confirmed that it was a sales sample. She confirmed that it was later sold to a Glock employee. She also explained that the "loan" label indicates that a gun was loaned to a sales rep for a period of time and then returned. Of note, one of my 35 Cs has a "Loan Pistol" label on it. She confirmed that these reps were sometimes given the opportunity to buy the guns (lucky dawgs!).

GCA President Stan R. told me that some ATA prefix guns were prototypes. Thus, he was not at all surprised that this 17 C prototype was of the ATA prefix.

He noted that the first G24s ever imported were ATA prefix guns in 1/1/94. The first ported G24s were AUT prefix guns imported in 2/94. The porting on the G24 Ps is of the same general type as is on this gun as well as the G1 and G2 (ED prefix) 17 L Ps.

I'm not sure when the nomenclature changed from 24P to 24C. I know that another forum member has a 24 C marked box with a BNY prefix. If anyone else has a 24 C marked box with a different prefix please let me know.

It's very interesting that, despite having ports vs the usual cuts that we see in all other 17 Cs this gun is labeled a C and not P. Of course, we see this with early 24 C labeled guns as well as noted above. As is the case with the 17 L Ps, 24 Ps and early 24 Cs the slide marking says the model number only with the C notation on only on the label.

One thing that I really enjoy about this gun is the label - actually 3 labels, one atop the other. The original label is of the very cool (at least to me) Austrian type and reads "Glock 17 C KAL. 9*19" with the 17 C KAL. highlighted in yellow. I asked my Austrian buddy who is interested in Glocks whether he'd ever seen anything like it and he said no.

Over this label is a blue label. I'd think that this was the label placed on it when it arrived in the US for testing.

Then, the white Loan label was placed over the blue label either when it was sold to the rep that bought it or when it was loaned out to him for demos.

I so wish that they'd not covered up the first two labels. I was thinking of taking the box to a museum curator to have the labels separated so that I can see both originals but, best left alone I'm thinking.

Clearly, for whatever reason they never sold 17 Cs with this type of porting. Instead, they released the 17 Cs later with the traditional cuts that we know today. Perhaps the ports on one of more of the prototypes cracked or the cracking of the 17 L P ported barrels resulted in these not being made?

Whatever the reason, this is the only one. This is the only surviving gun of the first four Glock 17 Cs ever imported into the US and likely ever made. There are no reports of these having been made in Europe. Further, the original owner was told that only these four were made for import into the US for testing.

I hope that you've enjoyed the story. After nearly three years of knowing about this gun it's my pleasure to share it with the Glock collecting community now.

Here are the photos....

The sights in the bag are the original sights. The prior owner put steel sights on the gun.

(Please note that in some of the photos there is a frosted appearance and or smudge such as in the photo of the closeup of the slide port. This is just the way that the rust inhibitor looks in the harsh sun in which the photos were taken. The finish is totally clean.)

IMG_20190907_134424.jpg IMG_20190907_134526.jpg IMG_20190907_134531.jpg IMG_20190907_134548.jpg IMG_20190907_134556.jpg IMG_20190907_134623.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    cwampler, Johnix, trozau and 8 others like this.
  2. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

3. patcrad

patcrad

DJ Niner and glockhoarder like this.
  4. Glockaholics

Glockaholics

Amazing acquisition GH!! JMS about to go cray cray! :)

glockhoarder and Fishboy556 like this.
  5. Fishboy556

Fishboy556

I thought the same thing when I saw the round ports!

glockhoarder likes this.
  6. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Funny, I laughed at that one as well. I totally forgot about it.

I guess anything is possible. That said what struck me as bizarre about that gun was the way that the ports looked. We all know that there are ED G2 17 L P guns that exist. The porting on those guns is the same as the earlier gen 1 ported. Because of that I thought this gun was kind of screwy. That said maybe there is a grain of Truth to a story I just have no idea. Stand did mention that the ATA was a prefix for a number of prototypes. that's an interesting point I'd forgotten about that gun.

7. Paul53

Paul53 HATE is not a family value!

Many have tried to impress with various Glock(s), but this is the first time I've seen one that really impressed me! Thanks for the show and tell.

Jisbell40 and glockhoarder like this.
  8. patcrad

patcrad

Yeah, awesome post Ron! Thanks for taking the time to share in detail and with some history.

9. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Most welcome! I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

10. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

You're very welcome!! I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

11. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

By the way Pat, one significant difference between my gun and the one that that guy was trying to sell is that the original label for my gun clearly notes that it is a C. Knowing its pedigree and having an original label that noted it was indeed originally made as a C was integral to my decision to acquire this gun.

12. pgg00

pgg00

A nice find again. Congrats.

PS. You need to get some carpet from @bac1023 for your macro shots :D

glockhoarder and Redeemed like this.
  13. Toocool45

Toocool45

Ron, you sure do get some cool stuff. Congrats.

DJ Niner and glockhoarder like this.
  14. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Thanks!

I actually have a pretty nice photographic set up that I bought for these guns but I'm always in a rush when I do these posts...

pgg00 likes this.
  15. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Thank u!

16. JMS

JMS 02

I’ll just borrow his and make a duplicate ;)

Ron, we going to shoot it? Compare it to a “regular” Gen2 17C? When I acquire my Gen4 17C AUSTRIA we’ll have to get Gen2s/3/4 together for a photo shoot.

Glockaholics likes this.
  17. JMS

JMS 02

Not enough proof of this being original, ports don’t look like anything Glock ever did.

18. Jayman28

Jayman28

Awesome acquisition Ron.
    What an incredible find.
    You have quite the collection of unicorns in your stable.
    Thank you for sharing this with us.

glockhoarder likes this.
  19. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

Congrats on another unique GLOCK acquisition! Thanks for unselfishly sharing your museum worthy pieces with the GT community. You, sir, are truly DA MAN!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
    :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

glockhoarder and Jayman28 like this.
  20. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

We can definitely do a photo shoot!

Jayman28 likes this.
  21. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Most welcome. Thank u!