close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First IDPA Match....is G21 okay?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mr. IronHead, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Mr. IronHead

Mr. IronHead

Hello Glockers,

In order to really practice my "defensive situation" skills I will be joining IDPA. My first match as a new shooter will be this Thursday if all goes well and I am wondering if my G21 will be okay for this? I also have a G30 I can use. What are your recommendations? I would like to use the G30 but at this time I feel more comfortable with the G21.

I know they have a specific "class" for big bore "Custom Defensive Pistol" for .45 ACP so this is what I will be registering for.

Feedback and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Mr. Ironhead - Practice, Practice, Practice!

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Either pistol will do fine in IDPA, GSSF or USPSA Production Category.

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Plenty of folk use a .45 for IDPA. Some use a 1911, but there's nothing wrong with a Glock. I love my G30SF!

4. HK Dan

HK Dan

In CDP you'll be limited to 8 rounds in your mags. You could also shoot SSP or ESP and load 10. Face it--you're not going to be competitive on your first match anyway (unless you're a Delta Force operator or something), so you're not REALLY at a disadvantage shooting versus 9mms.

Yes, the G21 will have a significantly better match than the G30, particularly if that's what you're used to shooting. Take the gun you're the most comfortqable with and eliminate THAT as a problem. Learn the match and range rules with a gun you know and work into the carry piece later. That's my advice!

Dan

5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Your fine. When you go to matches you will see others there with a G21 maybe its not the overwhelming choice for Glocks because I've seen more G34, G17L, G35 than the G21 but there are some.
    The rounds I usually see in semi autos are 45 ACP, .38 Super, 9mm, .40 S&W and .22

6. GroundedCLK

GroundedCLK

I have shot IDPA for a eight years now, I originally started with a .45acp. The only comment I am going to make is if you are going to do it often go with a 9mm.

Ammo is so expensive, especially when you are practicing a lot. Then shooting match after match.

7. JonInWA

JonInWA

You'll do just fine with your G21. I'd suggest that you compete in Stock Service Pistol (SSP) as opposed to Custom Defensive Pistol (CDP); in SSP, you can compete with 10 rounds (plus 1 in the chamber initially) as opposed the 8+1 limitation in CDP.

There can be some good reasons to compete in CDP with a G21, but I'd suggest you start with SSP.

Best, Jon

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  8. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

Gee, in my first IDPA match I won my division and came in 3rd overall out of about 85 shooters and I was using a G20 10mm.

Paul

9. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

Actually, no, the G21 isn't okay for IDPA; it's AWESOME for IDPA :supergrin:

It is my main IDPA gun; I've shot probably 20 plus IDPA matches since I bought the 21 and in all but one I shot the 21. The other was to finally classify in SSP. I started shooting IDPA with my 1911 and then moved on to the G21 and haven't looked back. Love the 21!

10. HK Dan

HK Dan

Wow! I've never met a Delta Force Operator before--the pleasure is mine Sir!

(I did the same thing. I'd been shooting USPSA for 4 years already and IDPA was a complete cakewalk)

LOL

11. JAREDG21

JAREDG21

it is what i shoot