Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember my squirrel photo with James, the "Epic mustache dude!" Well we had a killer hunt yesterday. Started out with ground squirrels (no photos, didn't have camera out with us) and ended with hunting wabbits!

We got these four yesterday... I am having one for dinner tonight!

This one almost got away! He was the fist one to go down, but he almost got a reprieve. I took aim and while I did hit him I was high and got him through the ears... he bolted and ran right into Jamie's sights and was taken out that way. I couldn't follow up as I hit slide lock on my Marlin. *** Note to self... check magazine before engaging... ***

All in all it was a lot of fun. Time was against us so we couldn't get more rabbits but we have plenty of time in the coming weekends! Pig hunt is around the corner as well, just making final preps with location and getting another hunter up to speed.

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how to tan a hide yet... but I am now in the process of procuring items to remedy this shortcoming. Reason being was like you said... they would make some great mittens!

·
Anti-Federalist
20,875 Posts
You can't eat just one.

·
NOT MOD APPROVED
8,680 Posts
You should have used a Holy Hand Grenade...

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice. How do they taste? Not that there are any around here...
Dunno... been a whole lotta years since I have had fresh bunny for dinner. But I do remember eating them as a boy and enjoying them! I will find out tonight around 1800 when I dish up the results of my culinary ingenuity!

The rabbit I am eating tonight is only a half, the front was unfortunately damaged pretty badly when the hollow-point decimated the upper rib cage and shoulders. Bunny moved when I fired so instead of a head shot it hit in the upper shoulders/ribs.

I'll post a gratuitous photo tonight after I get it all cooked up!

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Texan
3,790 Posts
Looks good, you using a .22?

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
Do you know how to make a roux?

·
ZekerMan
2,053 Posts
Nothing better than a mess of Cottontails for a meal. I usually deboned them and then battered and fried like chicken so I could tell my daughters thats what it was but they got wise with age and would not eat them cause they were so "cute". Jackrabbits are not bad either but are a little more tough so they went into a stew at camp when deer hunting. Good luck on the Hog Hunting!!!

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Looks good, you using a .22?
Yes, Marlin 795 you can see it behind the wabbits. The ammo I used was Armscor Precision .22LR. The closest rabbit was 10 yards the longest was about 105 yards. That's the one I ate today...

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So here is dinner! As promised!

How I prepared it...

The rabbit was cleaned but I left the bones in (flavor)
The stuffing in the middle was made with the following:
1 fresh egg (as in it was layed yesterday morning)
1 piece of 12 grain bread
2 small carrots minced
2 pieces of garlic minced
Lemon pepper
Tapatio sauce
Fresh local honey

The rabbit was sprayed down with olive oil then coated with a light covering of honey.
I placed the stuffing into the middle (as you see in the photo)
Then I placed the carrots, potatoes and asparagus around the rabbit and coated them with olive oil as well.
Oven at 325 for an hour (which turns out was about 15 minutes to long...)

It tasted AWESOME! Was a bit dryer than what I like BUT the flavor was so awesome I didn't really care. As I said it's been a long while since I have had rabbit... NOW that I have this one done I have it figured for cooking time to be 45 minutes.

With 3 more in the freezer and another trip planned soon... I'll be eating a lot of cotton tail for a long while!! Nom nom!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts