First handgun purchase G22 vs G23, what to do what to do

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NewGlocker28, Jan 16, 2010.

1. NewGlocker28

NewGlocker28

Last week I posted that I tried out a G19 and a G23 at a local range in order to determine which I'd like to purchase as my first handgun. After doing so I decided to go with the G23 b/c I didn't feel too much of a difference in recoil so why not have the larger caliber. Also liked that the G23 was a little more versitle in that it could be converted to 9mm or .357 with a convesion barrell.

So I thought I had decided on the G23 for sure. Went to a local gunshow this afternoon and found a vendor selling for $440 NIB (usually go for $525 in stores around here). The problem was, I couldn't deny that the G22 just felt better in my hand then the 23. I'm 6'6 240 lbs and the G23 just feels a touch small. The gun will be primarily used as home defense and range use. However, I MAY at some point was to conceal carry so I thought the G23 would be best. Now I'm thinking the full size for home defense and range use it just going to be more enjoyable. Anybody have any thoughts on any of this just to help me decide? There's a good chance I'll go back tomorrow and grab what I think is a great deal.

Anyone conceal a G22 (or G17). I'm thinking that with my size it still might be possible if down the road I wanted to. Also anyone have any experience with the RTF2? Its a little too aggressive for me but does it wear down a little overtime or is there anything that can be down to make it less aggressive?

Wow, sorry how long this post is but I wanted to give everyone as much info as possible. You guys are always very good with your information and advice. I appreciate it.

2. vinnier6

vinnier6

I have both, but I am much smaller than you at 5'8"....I think if you are going to conceal and carry, get the 23...if your going to use it as home defense and range work, get the 22...or do like i did and get both and add a 27 for a glove box/conceal carry piece....

3. jdprew

jdprew

I have both, got the 23 first. I am 6'1" with fairly large hands and the 22 fits my hand much better than the 23. For your first Glock, it want be your last, get the 22.

4. etravix

etravix

5. beancounter81

beancounter81

If the G22 feels better in your hand, get it. I'm only 5'10" but have large hands and like the feel of the G22. You can conceal - just takes a little more effort. A good IWB holster such as Comp-tac MTAC will make it easier to conceal, although not too difficult OWB if you're wearing a jacket. A good gun belt will make carrying the 22 a lot easier. I got mine from the Beltman - beltman.net. He's practically your neighbor - he's in Apex. I'll admit I also have a G27 for carry when I don't want something as big as the 22.

6. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

G22 in a VM2 everyday, no issues at all with just a polo or what not. Get what feels better the difference is a half an inch more or less in the length of the grip. The longer slide doesn't matter if your carry IWB any ways. Later if you start to CCW more then grab a G27 and they can share mags and ammo.

:wavey:

7. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

The g22 is a nice gun. I have both g23 and 22, also had the 27 a little snappy for me so I traded it for a G26. good luck. I say keep the 23

8. picturethis

picturethis

I'd have to know how often you shoot. If you like to shoot a lot, I would suggest a 17 or 19 9mm due to cheaper ammo, and the ability to shoot reloads in the 9mm guns. I have a 22 and love everything about it except for ammo cost. Good luck.

9. guitarguy69

guitarguy69 Glock'N Roll

Get the 23 first and learn to carry it, then get the 22 cause you know you will. I did that very thing and love both of them even though the 22 fits my hand better. Get the 23 at the show for that great price then join GSSF and buy the 22 for a little less then that. Can't go wrong with owning both of them, the 23 seems to be a great first choice just because it carries a little easier.

10. Aces and 8s

Aces and 8s Dead Mans Hand

I was in the same conundrum, I couldnt decide between the G22 and G23. Ended up going with the G22, feels better in the hand and fits better too and honestly really isnt that big.

11. Sierra2223

Sierra2223

Buy the 22 for HD and buy a 27 for CC. Best of both worlds.

12. jkalantzis

jkalantzis

I'm going through the same thing right now. I purchased a 17 for home defense without considering I would want to carry concealed. Now I have to decide if I should trade it in for a 26 or buy another one. I would purchase the 23 so you can do both. I wish I would have purchased the 19 for the same reason.

13. rns-glock37

rns-glock37

for your first gun i would go with the 23. the 23 or any of the compact glocks i feel is the best of both worlds. it's small enough to conceal very easy and still big enough to double as a duty gun. with your size you shouldn't have any problems with concealing the 22 it's just with the 23 you will have a little more options as far as the type of clothing you can wear.

14. josh21120

josh21120

I faced the same decision a couple years back. Shot both at the range, still couldn't make up my mind. Both were sitting in front of me on the counter and I "imagined" having to grab either one in an instant to use for SD. It was the G22 for me. I have "medium" size hands, but the 22 just fit me better. The size differential is just insignificant to me for CC. I will buy a G27 soon anyway, and also have a J-frame for minimalist carry. Good luck !:winkie:

15. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

NewGlocker: welcome to GT. I am close to your size, 6'-5", 280. I bought the G17 first for one reason and one reason only: it fit my hand the best. I have never been sorry about this decision. As you are thinking, the full size is great for HD and range but don't discount your ability to carry it. I primarily carry my 17 OWB--there is nothing like the confidence of knowing you've got 17+1 on board. It could be carried IWB with a good holster. However--and here's my main point--think ahead to your next purchase. What happened to me was that I wanted a CC option as small as possible and recently purchased a G26. The G19/23 size is a great gun IF it is the best fit for your hand OR you can only ultimately have one gun. However, if you plan on a second Glock, I would highly recommend going full size on your first one, then subcompact on your second. When you have these two, there really is no need for the middle size. Oh, and one more thing....my hands are big enough that at first, I never really considered that I'd be able to handle a subcompact. I was really mistaken on this point. I love my little G26 now. There's something to be said for 'smaller is better' when carrying. Good luck with your decision. You know you really can't go wrong.

16. robertwh

robertwh

I like compacts much better than full size but you can't go wrong with either pistol. I don't see any advantage of having a 22 for home defense over the 23. The 27 will work just as well as the 22 or the 23 for everything too.

All this comes down to what you want and are comfortable with. Take charge and make a decision. You can't lose it's a win, win, and win scenario.:wavey:

17. Sol

Sol

The G-17/22 is virtually the same size as a Colt's commander, folks have carried those concealed for decades, at half the weight, an average sized person should be able to CCW a G-17/22 comfortably.

18. D.S.Brown

D.S.Brown Millennium Member

I was in the same dilemma 10 years ago. Went with the G23. I like it so much I own three of them. I also have a G27 and a G35. I conceal carry those as well, in fact I'm putting up the G35 after a 6 week run of carrying it concealed, back to a G23 for now.

Friend of mine is a little taller than you by an inch and say 40lbs heavier. He sold me my third G23 because he felt it was too small for him, and because when he CC's his gun of choice is a G22 that he owns. His home defense gun is a G24.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Best,

Dave

19. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

I am a skinny guy and have a hard time concealing a G17 unless I dress around the gun. I can wear my normal attire (Untucked T-Shirt or Polo) and conceal a G19 fairly easily and with a G26 I forget I even have it on my hip.

With a G17 the butt becomes very apparent if I bend over and my clothes seem to snag on the grip much more. I can conceal it, it just becomes a chore and I would probably have to leave the gun at home when dressed in certain attire. If I'm wearing a jacket - give me a G17, but for 95% of the time I sport something smaller.

20. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

NewGlocker28,

I'm about your size (6'-06" and 270 lbs.) and have big hands.
    Ring size is a 14.

I've got the G21, G19 and the G30SF.

The G19 (same size as the G23) did feel (at first) to be a little small, especially because of those darned finger 'bumps'.
    However, the G19 (G23) size is really easy to conceal especially when compared to the G21!!!

Ultimately, only you can decide which pistol to buy.

Subliminal message. . . .G23. . . . . G23. . . . . .G23. . . . . :supergrin: