close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Hand Experience in Self Defense Action

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by drcotlar, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Others

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. How often

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Actually discharged weapon

15 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Did not have to shoot weapon

48 vote(s)
    47.5%
  5. No need to expose weapon

32 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. drcotlar

drcotlar

Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I do think it is a deserving topic of conversation.

So many posts about different guns, sights, lasers and so forth are made with self defense as the reason for stated personal preferences.

My question is how many here (excluding LOE) have actually had first hand experiences in having to fire a gun in self defense? I would very much appreciate in hearing your story, if it is something you are willing to share. It might serve as a learning opportunity for me and perhaps others. Should you not wish to discuss it, I understand.

texson1 likes this.
  2. AnjaP

AnjaP

You may want to change your polling options, they don’t really make sense.

How about -

No

Brandished no discharge

Brandished with discharge

I’m sure I butchered those terms, but something like that.

Dcc65, Seroke, Walk Soft and 5 others like this.

3. porschedog

porschedog

Yeah, the two options don’t align with your overall question. Others? How often? I have no clue how to answer.
    Anjap’s suggestions make sense.

4. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO 10-42

I have, but I'm assuming based upon your post that Law enforcement is exempted. Either way, I agree that the poll options need clarification and I will sit this one out to watch from the sidelines.

Dcc65 and Seroke like this.
  5. Nunya Business

Nunya Business

I would be willing to bet the word brandish doesn't even appear in your state statutes.

6. Sam___

Sam___

I have not, however
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Rellik likes this.
  7. drcotlar

drcotlar

SGT HATRED likes this.
  8. drcotlar

drcotlar

Point taken. How to edit?

Seroke likes this.
  9. M7425

M7425

"Brandishing" is a criminal offense in many states. If you choose, I would suggest it replace with "display weapon"; this could be akin to "Sul position" or a "low ready". That said, individuals who were involved in a justified use of deadly force were likely instructed by their legal counsel "Don't talk about it with anyone".

nursetim, johnjasonchun and dp509 like this.
  10. Jumpstady

Jumpstady

Never had to draw my piece, but in a motel parking lot at 5:30 AM (black as pitch) I was stoped by a large man (well over 6 foot and maybe 300 lbs.) Had my hand in my right front pocket resting on my old Smith J frame. The man seemed determined to extract money from yours truly. I told him "nothing doing and you best be on your way". He seemed to stare at my right front pocket. Guess he decided it wasn't worth takin a chance. I went on in to the Denny's next to the motel and informed them of their parking lot bugger man. Turns out he had tried to do the same thing to other folks that very morning. The management had called the cops. He was gone when they got there.

11. Scott1970

Scott1970

I guess I'm excluded being LOE and all...:supergrin:

dvm402, pgg00 and Wastedgenius313 like this.
  12. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

Came to the front of the thought process once, wrapped my hand around it once. A couple of years apart and in the same city. No I didn't care for it a lot, but had to go there.
    Outside service to the country, no thank goodness.

kaisooba likes this.
  13. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Never had to pull a gun. I have been in several situations where I made subtle actions to indicate I was carring ( just body language really. In some of those instances I was carrying at the time, and In some I wasn't). Thankfully, I've never been in a situation that got more exciting than that.

Edit: that's why i love pocket guns. Having a gun is way more important than having a significant gun, at least in my experience.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    C. MYERS, Dcc65, Mall Ninja and 3 others like this.
  14. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

When you exclude LE, I assumed you also wanted to exclude military service?

15. boost1

boost1 Whooshhhhh

I haven't, but I remember the day I decided I better go ahead and get my CCW. Still brings goose bumps to my arms.

Gray_Rider and kaisooba like this.
  16. dubito

dubito

I've drawn against armed robbers on three separate occasions in a retail environment. I shot one perpetrator twice with a Ruger SP-101 .357 Magnum snubbie. I still carry that gun occasionally as a primary. The other two perpetrators ran away from me.

Dcc65, B C, Gray_Rider and 1 other person like this.
  17. dubito

dubito

This thread's poll is nonsensical, which prohibits an answer.

18. James Harrison

James Harrison

I was pumping gas when 4 or 5 ghetto thugs demanded money so they could buy gas. I said with the active gas hose in my hand how much do you want? They scattered

Dcc65, porschedog, Gray_Rider and 5 others like this.
  19. davethehiker

davethehiker

I have been in a situation where I was running from Somali pirates. We were both in small boats. I managed to outrun them, but it was very comforting for me to know that if they had overtaken my small boat I could pulled out my hidden weapons. I never brandished a weapon.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  20. tjpet

tjpet

Had just left a restaurant late one night with friends of mine and their two young kids. We were almost to our cars when we heard somebody running behind us. Turning around we saw a guy with something in his right hand coming right for us. I pulled my G36 out and held it down along my leg. When there was no doubt he WAS heading directly for us i yelled out, "stop!" He kept coming, "stop or I'll shoot!" He froze in his tracks. I continued speaking, "what do you want?" In a shakey voice we heard, "the lady left her glasses on the table." It was our waiter. I holstered my gun as my friend walks over and gets her glasses. I stuffed a $20 bill in his shirt pocket and thanked him for his trouble. It was so dark i don't think the kid actually saw the gun. But i'm glad he stopped after I yelled the second time.