First Gun...First Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gmn, Feb 19, 2010.

1. gmn

gmn

I was wondering if a Glock 19 would be an ideal choice for my first gun. I really don't have much experience other than shooting a rifle in the boy scouts about 15 years ago.

I plan on signing up for a local NRA course to help familiarize myself with a firearm.

2. ronin.45

ronin.45

Good choice on the glock. I think the NRA basic pistol course would be a good step to learn the basics. I would recommend joining the NRA at your first convenience also.

3. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

The G19 is a great choice. :wavey:

4. RBL525

RBL525

The G19 was a great choice for me. i love shooting it, and after waiting for delivery, bought a second the day it came in. now i have two more on the way. be careful, it will become an addiciton. The 19 is a blast to shoot.

I filled a magazine with some Corbon 124 Gr +P. Went shooting with my buddy...

That had him smiling. Going from WWB to the +P

After the two on order come in, i am taking him and his gf for a session. can't wait to show him the step up to the other calibers.

good luck, be safe, have fun, shoot as much as you can(after proper safety instruction)

5. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

the 19 is a great chioce

6. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

I'd say the G19 is the ideal first pistol for someone looking to take the plunge. My G19s are my "old reliables." I have many others, but the G19 is my favorite standby gun (and my always nightstand gun). G19s are inexpensive, utterly reliable, easy to learn on, resistant to malfunction, and very prone to communicating a bad case of GAS-- Glock Acquisition Syndrome.

7. Brain Virus

Brain Virus

I actually picked up my first handgun last saturday(2/13/10) I was was trying to decide between a 17 and a 19. I wanted a 9mm for the low cost of ammo, seeing as i was mainly going to be employing the handgun in a target/range shooting capacity. Idealy that would mean a .22 or a Air powered gun, but if i wanted one of those i could go borrow one from my Dad. I wanted one with a bit more umph incase I needed it in a self defense situation.

I ultimately picked the 17 for a few reasons.

1. I am a big guy, 6'3 and 280lbs, I have hams for hands. The 19 just felt too small with my pinky hanging off the bottom.
    2. With the larger hands, it can be easy to catch the meat of your hand as you are slamming in a magazine.
    3. I am not planning on conceal carrying (if i ever do though, i am big enough to conceal a 17)
    4. The longer barrel gives more accuracy.

But ultimately, it comes down to what feels "right" in your hand. As a ton of people say on here, go to a range that rents, and see what works for you.

Anyways, on a random side note, I'm going to the range tomorrow with my new Glock 17!

8. den888

den888

Great choice !

9. venenoindy

venenoindy

10. Flared_Nostrils

Flared_Nostrils Mutant

I have a small tribe of Glocks and if I had to pick just one...
    It would be the G19.

11. 1234Havasu

1234Havasu

Good judgement should be rewarded. Have a beer! And welcome to the world of Glock

12. glocknineteen

glocknineteen

I will be picking up my first handgun. It is a G19. First gun of many I tried at the range. It fit my hand best. So long as it fits yours I don't think you can go wrong.

13. gsdrulz

gsdrulz

My first was a G22 but the G19 is a great gun.

14. Carry_A_Glock

Carry_A_Glock G19-23-23C-26

what he said :cool:

15. Waffen Monk

Waffen Monk

The 19 is an excellent choice:woohoo:my first pistol was a 19 and I was more than pleased. Added the g26 for ccw and recently another 19 in OD just to round out the collection.

16. thunderstrike

thunderstrike

G19 was my first Glock. I highly recommend this model for its smooth shooting, relatively good ammo price and high magazine capacity. Shooting is just so much fun.

I encourage you to handle Gen 3 and RTF2 to see which frame you'd like better before buying. I plan to get me a G19 RTF2 and sell my G19 Gen 3 because RTF2 grabs better, conversely Gen 3 is slippery somewhat.

17. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

the 19 is a great jumping off point. shoots great and fits the bill for most needs. def something that will grow with you and on you.

first glock was a 19.... then jumped to a 23... now a 30.... next I am feeling a g22 gen 4

Hey thunderstrike - you ever try talon grips? I just put on a pair for my 30 and it really changed the feel of the grip in a positive way. messed around with wet hands and still felt very secure and non-slippy (not sure if that is a word lol). Maybe an option.

18. RioKid

RioKid

Welcome to GT. I don't own a 19 but I think folks on here own more 19's than any other single gun.

19. 125K9

125K9

The G17 was my first Glock back in 1990, followed by the G19 in '94. The 19 fit me MUCH better and is a great first pistol. Good luck with your new purchase!

20. gmn

gmn

I just went to the gun shop and bought a Glock 19 RTF2. Out the door price with the GSSR certificate was $455 with two clips. The salesman said that Maryland requires this gun to be sold with a bore lock. Is this true?

$398 for Glock 19.
    $21.99 for the bore lock.
    $10 for MSP Gun Application.
    $25 for MD state tax.

Does this sound accurate?

Thanks