Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Well I had originally decided, for my first gun EVER, to buy the Glock 19 as my primary gun for home defense and hopefully for edc. However, I've some posts here explaining why 45 ACP ( I prefer Glock 30 as a .45) is always better. Someone reminded the readers of the Miami FBI slaughter case where FBI agents died because the 9mm was not enough. Any thoughts on this? I bet it has been debated many times, but this will be a little more updated. Please leave all of your comments.:dunno:

·
NRA member
867 Posts
I think you would enjoy a G19 very much and get you shooting more than you may with the .45acp. It is cheaper to shoot, and practice does make perfect. And it will do the job of HD very well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Since you're new to guns, I'd stick with the 19. 9mm has lighter recoil and is much cheaper to practice with. Compact .45 ACP pistols can be tough for some people to handle. Find a range that rents them and try them both out. Buy the one you can shoot the best. .40 S&W sits right between 9mm and .45ACP in terms of ballistics and cost, so that's another option too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I love my G30. However, your first gun should be one that you will find easy and cheep ([FONT=&quot]relatively) to shoot. Go with the G19
[/FONT]

·
Registered
515 Posts
Just because this will be your first gun doesn't mean it will be your last. Get a G19 then once your comfortable with it and still interested in a 45 go get ya one of them.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It's a no brainer. 9mm can be purchased on sale for $10 a box and 45 ACP is about $25 a box if you don't reload. As your first gun you need to shoot it and for the same money you can shoot 2.5 times more. G19 easy winner.

Rick

·
FYPM
5,596 Posts
Welcome to GT. You're looking at two fine pistols. I think the folks are giving very good advice above.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
All common handgun calibers are similar enough that the only thing that really matters is shot placement, assuming a good cartridge (i.e. Gold Dots.)

The quibbling over calibers is, quite simply, inane.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have shot the g19 and the recoil is not bad at all. On the other hand, people have claimed that the g30's recoil is not bad at all. Furthemore, hopefully I will be living in Wyoming's national park and wanted something IN CASE attacks me, and I know that it a federal property etc. and you cannot shoot, but I am just saying...:whistling:

·
Registered
137 Posts
"I have shot the g19 and the recoil is not bad at all."

Get what you want and then get some training.

You will most likely wind up with both.

·
G-22-OD
817 Posts
I think you would be happy with a .40 S&W Glock. I've owned and loved G22s and a G23. Try it out. A bit more of a manstopper than the 9MM and not as crazy as the .45.

·
NRA Life Member
66,016 Posts
The FBI issue was part caliber and part ammunition. You need a Glock 19 because with your first gun you need to do a LOT of shooting. If you buy a .45 and can't afford to shoot thousands of rounds while you're learning, what's the point? - you'd just be another guy with a gun he can't use. 9mm will do OK for self-defense (not great) but it's your best choice for learning to shoot - later buy a .40 or .45.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
That cheaper 9 mm round will sure be a bargain when it fails to stop that bad guy attacking you - or your family. Start off with the 9 if you must - then step up to a 40 S&W or 45 - ACP or GAP. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Get the g19 gen 3. It is the only gun that I own. Got it 3months ago. I put about 1200 FLAWLESS ROUNDS. I love it. It loves remington golden sabre 124 grain +p's. Got a 500 round case for $119.00. Fired more than half of those. They give a nice recoil. The spent casings really sail. It will be perfect for self defense.45 cal is too expensive anyway.

·
Registered
235 Posts
that's a tough one. I'm inclined to say g19 since its your first pistol. you can always move up. if you haven't shot a 45, try to so you can feel the recoil difference. I love my g30 but ill still carry my g26 9 times out of 10. I'm going to start using 147grain jhp as well in 9mm. like others have said once you get one glock, you will buy another.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Welcome to glock talk and you will be happy with either one of those guns as a first gun but i would also have to say gen 4 19. For a few reasons, since this is your first gun the 45 might be a little much, no offense meant at all but i just think 9mm is the best first caliber to shoot. It is cheaper and easier to practice with. And with good ammo a 9mm will kill just fine. and as others have stated the fbi incident you mentioned had a great deal to do with ammo not just the caliber.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts