close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First GSSF Shoot for me!!!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by sigfan2340, Jan 22, 2007.

1. sigfan2340

sigfan2340

I shot in my first Glock Match this past saturday (indoor). I have been shooting only since March of 06 (after a 5 year stop) and ended scoring a 412 out of 500. I don't think that was too bad for my first time out. Just 2 more to go then I'll find out how well I actually match up to the others. I shot it with my Glock 17.

2. Citizen Carrier

Citizen Carrier

Was it at Blackwing Shooting Center in Delaware, Ohio? I shot there in my first GSSF match as well.

I shot a 422-16 and a 430-14. Couldn't see the scoring rings very good at 50 feet, couldn't see them at all at 75. Trigger control was my biggest hurdle.

Friday night I used the Glock 17C in Blackwing's pin match. I managed a 15.12 second score (against 12 pins, two of which can only be hit in the "head" of the pin), which I think may have been the 3rd best time of the night. I'm better with the Glock knocking down pins than punching paper.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Bravo to both of you. Now check the GSSF Outdoor Schedule at www.gssfonline.com and shoot an outdoor match.

4. sigfan2340

sigfan2340

I would love to but the closest one to me is a six hour drive.

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

ashley yellow shooting glasses will help. you don't really need to see the rings just picture the target folded in half top to botton and from side to side. where the flods cross is the middle of the target.

6. Adam5

Adam5

I shoot a monthly indoor match with a std 17 with 3.5 trigger connector. I average a 430, with a best of 445. The 25 yard shots are my downfall. One of the problems is that I keep worrying about shooting that distance in the 30 seconds allowed, which causes me to rush my shots too much. At my last match I shot the 25 yard set in 17 seconds instead of slowing down and using the 30 seconds allowed.

I'm planning on shooting the outdoor matches at Ft Benning, Anderson SC, Conyers, and possibly Lexington this year. Conyers last year was my first ever competition. I'm hooked now. :thumbsup:

7. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Hi,

I've never taken part in a shooting competition and would like to play. what I need to do to join in the fun?

I gather I need to buy a GSSF membership which I can do at http://www.gssfonline.com/ What else do I need to do before a match? I have read the New competitor brief on the gssfonline site, but it was pretty lacking in details about what I need to bring, etc.

Anybody in central Ohio (Columbus) who would be willing to answer some questions about this?

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

for GSSF you need to be a member to shoot, you can join at the match. you'd need eye and ear protection, gun and ammo, you'd really want enough mags to finish a match without reloading, but if you do you can load mags during the match and everyone will wait on you. a range bag or a means to transport everything is needed, even the factory box will work. there's a new series startign the saturday at the springfield range.

9. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

I agree more is better, but would submit that you should have enough to shoot the stage you happen to be at without reloading not the match, so 4 will do nicely (steel plates need 4 to run them without reloading).

That's per division. Shooting one division as a warm-up to turn right around & shoot another would make it 8 if you really want to move right along, but you can always elect to wait, let someone else go while you reload your mags, and then come up again in line. The RO's are almost always very cooperative if you let them know what you want to do.

Otherwise, between stages is the time to park yourself quietly and reload mags (almost anywhere OUTSIDE an area where gun handling is permitted) and collect yourself, visit with friends, etc. Whether you take 4 or 10, or 60, I find it helps me to just load everything with 10 and I just keep a stripper mag on my belt for those times when I want 11 rounds in the gun.

Hope to see you at a match this year! Outdoor GSSF is highly recommended (and addictive). :supergrin:

:patriot: